Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #1
Bob Bo

M.O.C. #22402
Tow Vehicle for 2018 3810MS

Hey all, we just purchased a 2018 Montana 3810MS and I'm trying to make sure I've got enough tow vehicle. Anyone that can give me some advice, I appreciate it.

Tow Vehicle:
2018 Ram 2500
6.7L Diesel
Automatic
4x4
Long Bed
Crew Cab

Keystone Montana 3810MS
Dry weight: 13385lbs
Carry Cap: 3365lbs
Hitch weight: 2745lbs

Again, any help is appreciated. Hopefully we haven't gotten ahead of ourselves.
Thanks,
Bob

Bob Bo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
You will have the power you need to pull it around the country. Legally you will be overloaded on the GVWR on the truck due to pin weight. Some here say they do it all the time and I know some that tow overloaded and have no problems. In central CA they do random weighing and snag those overloaded. If found overloaded in a wreck, that may add to liability. It will be squashed so air bags will be a must.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Before we to far into this about trucks! I'm going to get the popcorn & the beer
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #4
Bob Bo

M.O.C. #22402
You're the first to actually give me some hope. Others on other forums are tearing me up. My concern was the payload on my truck is 2,270lbs. The hitch weight is 500lbs over that.
Old 08-10-2018, 12:57 AM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bo View Post
You're the first to actually give me some hope. Others on other forums are tearing me up. My concern was the payload on my truck is 2,270lbs. The hitch weight is 500lbs over that.
Yes, keep asking and you will find someone to tell you it is okay.

This will be a 3 bagger

2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:02 AM   #6
Bob Bo

M.O.C. #22402
Nope, the hope is gone. I've been talking across 4 forums and it's clear I screwed up. Now I'm trying to figure out solutions. My only hope is I can work out a back out deal with the dealer, and let them know I'm still looking to purchase something smaller. I havent started living in this thing yet, and I'm already eating a big lesson.

Thanks for the posts though.
Bob
Old 08-10-2018, 05:40 AM   #7
rollingdownthehighway
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20273
Quote:
Nope, the hope is gone. I've been talking across 4 forums and it's clear I screwed up. Now I'm trying to figure out solutions. My only hope is I can work out a back out deal with the dealer, and let them know I'm still looking to purchase something smaller. I havent started living in this thing yet, and I'm already eating a big lesson.

Thanks for the posts though.
Bob

If you can, get a bigger truck. With a 2500 your selections on any new fiver are very very limited. The new ones will max out your payload even before you load it up.
rollingdownthehighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:27 AM   #8
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Bob Bo

Anyone on here will quickly tell you I’m deep in the get more truck than you need camp. Having said that I need to ask two questions:

Are you going to be towing the camper every week or living in it in one spot for months on end?

Can you trade the truck instead of the camper? Trucks do tend to trade really well. Campers not so much
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 06:36 AM   #9
Bob Bo

M.O.C. #22402
@mtlakjim, A little of both. We plan to be traveling around the country. sometimes staying in place for a month or longer and other times moving daily/weekly.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:56 AM   #10
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I have a F250 and tow mine all over the place. I have put 30,000 miles on my rig so far. It weighs about the same as yours. it's 34' Had it 2 years. I have no problem anywhere. However if I was to go bigger than I would need a bigger truck so I am sticking with the size I have. Going with a DRW is way overkill. Funny they don't really cost that much more till you register it. I have a SRW and it cost me over $600 for a 3 year old truck.

I doubt to much that you will get pulled over considering what I have seen going down the highway Obey the speed limits and There will be no need to worry.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:27 AM   #11
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
@mtlakjim, A little of both. We plan to be traveling around the country. sometimes staying in place for a month or longer and other times moving daily/weekly.
Ok I will be blunt since it is my style. If it is going to put you in a serious financial bind maybe going with what you have at present is just what you have to do. You can usually get away with towing overweight as weight boys aren’t concerned with RVs in most states. I would recommend you at least drive very carefully. And of course when the situation allows it upgrade to a larger truck. Preferably a 1 ton dually. Your truck will pull the trailer and you won’t tear it up but you will be technically illegal and if you were towing it every day for thousands of miles per month be stressing the truck frame pretty hard.

The question you posed always sparks a heated debate on here and as I mentioned I am always way deep in the get more truck than you need camp. But I am heavy duty oilfield and live in the mountains. I do recognize there is often a difference between what would be the ideal tow vehicle and what fits someone’s lifestyle and circumstances.

If your going to switch anything I would look at the truck not the trailer. The depreciation on an RV is really bad but 3/4 and 1 ton trucks tend to hold their value much better. I actually made money on my trade in of a 3/4 ton.

The debate between truck size, brand and features can rage for several pages on here. Everyone has their take on it. Get a bag of popcorn and a beer and enjoy the show
Old 08-10-2018, 07:29 AM   #12
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Towing a unit that is that heavy is CLEARLY in dually territory.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:48 AM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Try pulling your camper with the truck you now have. Then make a decision. Do you feel safe? If you don’t make a change. If you do enjoy. I’m betting you will feel safe.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:44 AM   #14
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Try pulling your camper with the truck you now have. Then make a decision. Do you feel safe? If you don’t make a change. If you do enjoy. I’m betting you will feel safe.
Lynwood
That is probably true if you have never towed with a dually. I felt safe towing my previous Mountaineer with my SRW 3/4 ton. I would probably still be in the 3/4 ton is plenty truck camp if I had never experienced a larger truck first hand.

It wasn’t until after I bought the 1 ton dually that I realized the difference and just how unsafe BY COMPARISON the 3/4 ton had been. Until you experience both trucks your really not qualified to judge. Basically you have to experience the difference to understand it.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:44 PM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Actually, a3/4 ton and a 1 ton are the same basic truck in most cases except the 1 ton has additional leaf springs and normally a heavier duty breaking system. A one ton is classified as commercial to the dealers and to the manufacturer and that is why they do not come with the tire monitoring system on them. I tow with a SRW one ton and have had no problems what so ever. Some swear by the dually and granted they my give you a smoother ride but since I'm from the farm and used to riding a tractor over bumps and etc across fields I'm used to the "not so smooth" ride. Keeps me awake too. LOL I don't recommend any specific brand of truck because that is an individuals personal choice. Go to all of them ( Dodge, Ford, Chevy, and GMC) and test drive them all. See which one you feel most comfortable in and which you could feel that way driving down the road for an 8-10 stretch and still feel good. Once you've driven them all, go back and drive them again and see if your gut feelings are still there for that model. If it is, that's the one to buy. If it were me, I'd go with the 1 ton over the 3/4 ton because you can always be in good shape with something over your needs but you can't just jump up and receive power when you need it or braking time when you need it. OK, now I've said my piece and I'll get off my soapbox but go for the one you feel is safe and has the power you will need both in pulling and stopping. Good luck and let us know what you decide on. By the way, that 3810 is a nice unit you've got there. Enjoy it!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:03 PM   #16
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I agree your getting into commercial territory with a 1 ton but my basic Tradedman Ram 1 ton has tire pressure monitoring. So not sure what you mean by that?

Although you don’t need a special liscese In Arkansas to tie an RV or drive a 1 ton dually

I work the farm and in the oilfield so rough ride is something I am familiar with too. I’m no princess so hard for me to judge but I can’t tell much difference in the ride of today’s modern trucks. Now that 1965 1 ton yeah it rides like a log wagon....
Old 08-10-2018, 02:08 PM   #17
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
Actually, a3/4 ton and a 1 ton are the same basic truck in most cases except the 1 ton has additional leaf springs and normally a heavier duty breaking system. A one ton is classified as commercial to the dealers and to the manufacturer and that is why they do not come with the tire monitoring system on them. I tow with a SRW one ton and have had no problems what so ever. Some swear by the dually and granted they my give you a smoother ride but since I'm from the farm and used to riding a tractor over bumps and etc across fields I'm used to the "not so smooth" ride. Keeps me awake too. LOL I don't recommend any specific brand of truck because that is an individuals personal choice. Go to all of them ( Dodge, Ford, Chevy, and GMC) and test drive them all. See which one you feel most comfortable in and which you could feel that way driving down the road for an 8-10 stretch and still feel good. Once you've driven them all, go back and drive them again and see if your gut feelings are still there for that model. If it is, that's the one to buy. If it were me, I'd go with the 1 ton over the 3/4 ton because you can always be in good shape with something over your needs but you can't just jump up and receive power when you need it or braking time when you need it. OK, now I've said my piece and I'll get off my soapbox but go for the one you feel is safe and has the power you will need both in pulling and stopping. Good luck and let us know what you decide on. By the way, that 3810 is a nice unit you've got there. Enjoy it!
I agree with Rondo 100% on that my TV is a 2018 Dodge 3500 SRW the only difference between DRW & SRW is 2 wheels I used to have a ton DRW the wife hated parking it so when we bout the new truck we got SRW same ever thing as the DRW same brakes, springs, air bags and 4:10 gear,s
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #18
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
That is probably true if you have never towed with a dually. I felt safe towing my previous Mountaineer with my SRW 3/4 ton. I would probably still be in the 3/4 ton is plenty truck camp if I had never experienced a larger truck first hand.

It wasn’t until after I bought the 1 ton dually that I realized the difference and just how unsafe BY COMPARISON the 3/4 ton had been. Until you experience both trucks your really not qualified to judge. Basically you have to experience the difference to understand it.
Thanks Jim. Well actually I have towed with a DRW truck. My brother had 3500 DRW Chevy, great truck. We towed my Montana with my 250 Ford and his truck. He was a diehard Chevy fan. Even he couldn’t tell any difference in the way his truck pulled or handl my camper except mine had a lot more power. Not throwing off on the Chevy my truck had been tuned.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #19
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuilderBob View Post
I agree with Rondo 100% on that my TV is a 2018 Dodge 3500 SRW the only difference between DRW & SRW is 2 wheels I used to have a ton DRW the wife hated parking it so when we bout the new truck we got SRW same ever thing as the DRW same brakes, springs, air bags and 4:10 gear,s
Yes so you go from 4 wheels on the ground to 6 wheels. In my book that adds up to a third more rubber on the ground. Not to mention a wider stance.

There are a LOT of reasons that someone might go SRW but being a superior tow truck to a DRW is not one of them. Anyone that suggests an SRW is superior to a DRW strictly on towing is flat wrong.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:11 PM   #20
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Thanks Jim. Well actually I have towed with a DRW truck. My brother had 3500 DRW Chevy, great truck. We towed my Montana with my 250 Ford and his truck. He was a diehard Chevy fan. Even he couldn’t tell any difference in the way his truck pulled or handl my camper except mine had a lot more power. Not throwing off on the Chevy my truck had been tuned.
Lynwood
Your experience obviously varies from mine. But I towed with new stock trucks I owned and in the mountains. So I got really good tests between the two. While both would pull fine there was a major difference on stability both in curves and braking under load. Only stands to reason a wider stance dually would be more stable and that 1/3 more rubber on the road will stop better. Remember pulling power is not the only measure of performance. I will say again it isn’t how quick you can get it up to speed that matters, it’s how quick and stable you get it stopped. After all we aren’t driving race cars!!