Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2008, 05:29 AM   #1
rgreynolds
Established Member

M.O.C. #8217
Send a message via MSN to rgreynolds
A few more problems

Living full time in our new 3400RL has brought up a few more problems. Maybe someone can shed some light on them. 1) Our hot water heater will not heat when the propane tank switches from the primary to the secondary tank. We have to switch the on/off switch off and then back on and then it will start heating again. 2) After the second dump of black water, the handle will not go all the way in and it will leak until the valve gets clogged. Is the valve not seating properly or is there a chance the valve handle is sticking along the way. It stays out about 1/2 inch. 3)The Sylvania microwave will not pop popcorn worth a darn. Seems to take a bit longer to microwave things in it than the boxes recommend. We are currently hooked up to 30 amp and everything else works fine.

Bob

rgreynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Bob, I can't help with the water heater and black water valve handle problem, and I can't do anything but sympathize with you over the popcorn problem--but you do have my sympathy with that one. We have the Apollo 1/2 TIme Oven, and the microwave part of it doesn't cook worth a hoot. We're hooked up to 50-amp power, too, so that's not the problem. I am a popcorn addict, and I take my popcorn very seriously. Every night I get whatever I'm reading, a Coke Zero, and my bowl of Pop-Secret Homestyle popcorn and retire to the bedroom to read and munch. The problem is that either the popcorn burns before it pops, or it pops only half the package and then just sits there and stinks (and then progresses to burning). Oh--most of those microwave popcorn brands say don't use the pre-programmed "popcorn" setting on any microwave--just set the time as instructed on the package. I've tried setting the time manually and tried the "popcorn" setting and can't see any difference no matter which way I go.

The fix is probably to get another microwave. You may find some suggestions on other threads because I've seen posts about various brands of microwaves that do or don't do the job. But--in the meantime, you do have my sympathy! Our RV dealer is replacing the Apollo for us because it obviously doesn't cook anything the way it's supposed to cook it, and it's still under warranty. Unfortunately, the replacement is probably going to be the same brand--Apollo.
Carolyn, a Certified Popcorn Lover
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:03 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Now the popcorn cooking/popping is NOT my field of expertise, Al does it in this household.

I am not sure what power he uses, etc. But, I do know that he listens to the popping, and when it is sorta slowing down, as in, past the high volume pop, he turns the microwave off and grabs that bag outta there. He does not go by the timer. He does not end up with a lot of burned kernals that way.

Not sure if that will help. But, I tried!

As far as that black tank handle, I would be having the dealer look at that, it is NOT right!

Far as the hot water heater, propane, if your furnace works at switch over, and the water heater will not, hmmm??? Again, does not sound right. Are you manually switching or allowing to auto switch??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 02:32 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Bob,
I know the switch over is frustrating, but unless you are boon docking, why are you not using the electric part of the water heater instead of the propane?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote