Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 11-08-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
Water Heater Check Valve

Has anybody ever had to replace the 3/4" brass check valve on the hot side of their water heater?

If so, where did you find a replacement part?

Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 11:55 PM   #2
hybridhauler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13723
Larry,
I was having issues a few months ago and when I pulled the check valve, I found that the poppet had come off the stem. Instead of replacing the complete valve, I glued the poppet back on the stem using the adhesive that cures with uv light (Don't remember the brand name)
No further issues since the repair.
hybridhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 02:07 AM   #3
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
They are available most places like cw, lamesa, etc. John
Old 11-09-2016, 03:53 AM   #4
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hybridhauler

Larry,
I was having issues a few months ago and when I pulled the check valve, I found that the poppet had come off the stem. Instead of replacing the complete valve, I glued the poppet back on the stem using the adhesive that cures with uv light (Don't remember the brand name)
No further issues since the repair.
I believe that is what happened to mine. The two plastic pieces had separated and had gotten wedged, kilted in the inlet. I didn't see anything actually "broken" so I'm going to put it back in and give it a try.

Thanks.
Old 11-09-2016, 04:16 AM   #5
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

They are available most places like cw, lamesa, etc. John
The CW store here in Bowling Green, KY has a slot on their shelving for a replacement but it was empty. I ask the Assistant Manager when they would be getting more, he went to ask the Manager and neither one had an answer. It seems like CW uses a software program that auto-orders when the last item is sold but according to one of the service writers the system has problems.

So I ask her to order me a replacement, she looked in her computer and said that it has been discontinued. I ask her what part the techs used if I were to bring my camper in and needed a new valve. She went off and came back later with a heater by-pass kit in her hand. She showed me the check valve in the kit explaining that was what they used.

So I said, if all the tech needed was the check valve would I get stuck paying for the whole kit or would the company eat the cost.

All I got for my troubles was that deer in the headlights look.... so I left.

I'll check on the lamesa thing and the folks at PPL. Thanks.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:33 AM   #6
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The pressure relief valve is available at pretty much any plumbing supply place, Lowes, Home Depot plumbing departments and will be much cheaper than getting it from CW. Take the old one in with you to get the same ratings and size.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I think the OP was looking for the check valve, not the pressure relief valve.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

The pressure relief valve is available at pretty much any plumbing supply place, Lowes, Home Depot plumbing departments and will be much cheaper than getting it from CW. Take the old one in with you to get the same ratings and size.

Old 11-09-2016, 03:13 PM   #8
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Actually, the threaded holes in the back of the water heater are 1/2 inch FPT (female pipe thread), and the check valve is available at this link, probably others too. http://www.trekwood.com/products/139...-2Mpt-x-1-2Mpt
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote