Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2003, 11:12 AM   #1
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Mystery solved! (sort of)

Well, I'm once again a happy camper. I have a new converter and and new battery and I'm grounded. (Yeah, the 5th wheel too) All systems go.

The shocking problem.

The Tech decided to investigate my electrical connection coming in my unit a little further. He unplugged and proceded to take apart the outlet attached to my unit.
When he pulled the wires down from inside of the little cup. There it was. A very clean cut of the copper grounding wire. You could tell it was a cut because there was a slight cut mark, in the same place on the plastic on the white and black wire. The Park Manager and the resident electrician did not catch it on Sat when they took it apart because they did not pull the wires down from inside the little cup.

This why I say "sort of". Why it was cut and when it was cut is still, and probably will remain a mystery. I know I didn't do it. So that leaves the plant or the dealer.

I do wish I knew why. The fact is I have never been grounded and didn't know it because I always had shoes on.

I did learn replacing the converter is a pretty easy process if you can read directions and work lying down.

So this story has come to an end. The moral of the story ...if you are ever getting shocked by your 5th wheel, take off the incoming outlet and check to see if someone has cut your grounding wire.

2002 2880RL (Miss Montana) towed by 2001 Dodge diesel 3500 (LadyRam)

Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote