Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Leaks

I apologize if this has been covered before but we are in the process of having our 2 week old coach go through warranty claims for leaks.I will load some pics, but the water has travelled through the interior of the coach exiting out the sealed belly pan. We are demanding a replacement coach, have contacted Keystone customer service as well as our insurance company. We dropped it off at camping world on Friday, the adjuster is coming on monday & we will see what service thinks. While there we met some one with a similar problem & he shared his lawyers info with us & she is local. We plan to stand our ground hold keystone accountable. I am willing to pay up front legal fees or whatever it takes, but I will not be stuck with a brand new water damaged coach! I would like to avoid the legal route & hope to get it resolved sooner than later. I will update as I get new information.

Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2018, 03:46 PM   #2
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
If you can answer ...Where did the leaks start at that created the flooding of your coach? Maybe we shall check ours for leaks in the same areas. If you can't give specific details due to ongoing/pending litigation,I understand.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 10:08 AM   #3
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWin View Post
If you can answer ...Where did the leaks start at that created the flooding of your coach? Maybe we shall check ours for leaks in the same areas. If you can't give specific details due to ongoing/pending litigation,I understand.
Water appears to be entering the coach from the street side living room slide out. It rained hard one night & the next day the floor in front of the slide was wet. The water was trapped between the black plastic on the bottom of the slide & the plywood floor. My guess is the slide out window not being sealed, not sure. The water worked its way to the fifth wheel overhang & down to the belly pan where we saw it leaking out. It does not appear to leak when the slide is in. No litigation yet, hopefully never we just want our coach replaced, they will never fully dry it out or replace everything that was wet. Dropped it off on Friday, the insurance adjuster is going there today so we will see what happens.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:24 AM   #4
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
As richfaa has said, “they all do it” and it would cost too much to check for leaks at the factory. Water is too expensive and traing people and retooling is just too cost prohibitive..
dfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 11:03 AM   #5
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfb View Post
As richfaa has said, “they all do it” and it would cost too much to check for leaks at the factory. Water is too expensive and traing people and retooling is just too cost prohibitive..
"They all do it" doesn't make it right & I am not going to stand for it. I have built over 600 homes & have had my share of punch list, when it came to water problems it always cost more to do the repair. Some companies cant seem to afford to do it right the first time but somehow the can afford to do it right the second time. I have learned its always cheaper to do it right, and happy customers are much easier to work with.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade1LI View Post
"They all do it" doesn't make it right & I am not going to stand for it. I have built over 600 homes & have had my share of punch list, when it came to water problems it always cost more to do the repair. Some companies cant seem to afford to do it right the first time but somehow the can afford to do it right the second time. I have learned its always cheaper to do it right, and happy customers are much easier to work with.
You are absolutely correct!.They dont all do it!. All dont have rear walls that fall off. Nor do all leak, have screws come out, have roof material billowing in the wind. They all dont have bent axles, or etc etc etc... I think Richfaa works for thor... Several folks in our travels have asked us about our Montana. I tell them the truth. They will be looking for non Thor products.My advice is even to buy a nice used whatever... as long as its not Thor...Sorry i have said this, but we spend alot of bucks on these. If one wants a Montana, i just hope they have a set of tools.. i just replaced two slide out gear assemblies...in a place with no phone, nor internet. Lippert was great!. I did not even bother to call the dealer nor keystone..i remember when thor built Tahoe . They all had warping siding....
Old 07-30-2018, 04:08 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
If you don't believe Rich subscribe to the Recall listing from RVTravel. It doesn't matter what you pay or who builds it. You'll get to read about high dollar motor homes with brake issues or my personal favorite when they ran out of roof board and used whatever else they had and now satellite dishes were coming off the roof. One friend traded his Montana for "The Best" built 5th wheel and when they put everything they had in the Montana's cabinets in the new rigs capinets all of the new rigs cabinets came off the wall after just a few thousand miles. If you live the lifestyle for very long you'll notice that they all do it.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:30 PM   #8
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
If you don't believe Rich subscribe to the Recall listing from RVTravel. It doesn't matter what you pay or who builds it. You'll get to read about high dollar motor homes with brake issues or my personal favorite when they ran out of roof board and used whatever else they had and now satellite dishes were coming off the roof. One friend traded his Montana for "The Best" built 5th wheel and when they put everything they had in the Montana's cabinets in the new rigs capinets all of the new rigs cabinets came off the wall after just a few thousand miles. If you live the lifestyle for very long you'll notice that they all do it.
We've been at this since 1992... we have owned five previous fivers.. they all were less expensive and had alot less problems. Like ive said, if Thor built airplanes, there would be no more thor..
Old 07-30-2018, 06:47 PM   #9
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
We have owned 2 alfas & 4 travel trailers & never had a leak. Between my family & triends we have had a lot of campers with relatively few problems. this is the first time having a serious issue. Well the insurance adjuster confirmed there was no physical damage that we could of caused, his report states a manufactures defect. See what happens next.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:33 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
You are absolutely correct!.They dont all do it!. All dont have rear walls that fall off. Nor do all leak, have screws come out, have roof material billowing in the wind. They all dont have bent axles, or etc etc etc... I think Richfaa works for thor... Several folks in our travels have asked us about our Montana. I tell them the truth. They will be looking for non Thor products.My advice is even to buy a nice used whatever... as long as its not Thor...Sorry i have said this, but we spend alot of bucks on these. If one wants a Montana, i just hope they have a set of tools.. i just replaced two slide out gear assemblies...in a place with no phone, nor internet. Lippert was great!. I did not even bother to call the dealer nor keystone..i remember when thor built Tahoe . They all had warping siding....
Works for Thor..That is a joke.I worked for the US Government for 37 years and that is where my Retirement check comes from.I never heard of thor until I purchased a Keystone 5th wheel. You think 100% wrong.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 08:21 PM   #11
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
A job worth doing is worth doing it right.
Old 07-30-2018, 09:01 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
But right in the RV industry is producing it at the lowest price. That's what the consumer makes their decision on when they are choosing between brands at the dealer. And no, I don't work for Keystone either and have been known to ask some pretty embarrassing questions at the national Rallies as has Rich. Tomorrow is the last day to register for the Rally. If you would like to put your mouth where their ear is, register and join us.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #13
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
I dont care about price, give me one I dont have to fix all the time.
Old 07-31-2018, 05:14 AM   #14
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
I dont care about price, give me one I dont have to fix all the time.
we didn't pick the 381 based on price, we choose it for the floor plan. Once we started looking the dealer 20 miles away had just received one 2 days ago, we looked it over & bought it. Other than the leak issue the rest of the coach looks good. I was even impressed by how neat the sealant was on all the moldings & trim pieces on the exterior. The fit & finish was good, cabinets good, everything seemed to work correctly. we did have problems with the leveling system but figured it out & works OK. You need to understand how the electric leveling system operates unlike a hydraulic system it needs to know where the jacks are. Maybe we should of bought a momentum, but after looking at them I could not see where the extra 30k was, dont get me wrong they seem pretty nice. If we were to get our money back on the 381 we might consider the momentum, but we would be just as happy with the monty with no leaks.
Old 07-31-2018, 07:52 AM   #15
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
If thor does not change their ways, there will be no more Thor.. I miss holiday rambler, Alfa, Western Rv, Fleetwood, skyline manufactures..
Old 08-05-2018, 02:38 PM   #16
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Update on our leak... we had to go to CW & drop off a flash drive with videos, apparently CW does not have the tech to open compressed files. We met with service manager who was very nice, I opened my computer to show him videos in case he couldn't open the flash drive. Once he saw what was involved he assured us he would get on it right away. I like a man of his word we stopped in on saturday to get something out of the camper & it was in the shop being worked on. We met with the tech went over everything, he showed us what was wrong, no mold or wood damage & he explained what he was doing to fix it. Turns out the bottom corner angle on all the slide outs only has a bead of clear silicone which did not adhere to the siding, you could peel it right back. They all looked good but none of the sealant had adhered to the siding, everyone should check theirs. He was removing all the angles, checking to make sure its dry & sealing the angle & running a bead of the correct sealant on the edge. We left there feeling comfortable with everything & will be able to pick it up next week.
Old 08-05-2018, 04:21 PM   #17
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
Glad to hear a positive comment about CW and their concern for your coach. Sounds like you got a good location for this service to be completed. Hope all ends as well as it sounds it should!

Would you post where this CW is located so others can note that in their files for future references? Good service locations are getting harder and harder to find in this day and age.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:27 PM   #18
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Quote:
We've been at this since 1992... we have owned five previous fivers.. they all were less expensive and had alot less problems. Like ive said, if Thor built airplanes, there would be no more thor..
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWin View Post
Glad to hear a positive comment about CW and their concern for your coach. Sounds like you got a good location for this service to be completed. Hope all ends as well as it sounds it should!

Would you post where this CW is located so others can note that in their files for future references? Good service locations are getting harder and harder to find in this day and age.
Camping World kingston NY the service manager is Aaron Kelsey, ask to have Jerry do the work very conscientious good people skills.
Old 08-06-2018, 08:24 AM   #19
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
Maybe a sign of things to come, keystone just called me to let us know whatever has to be done is covered & wants to make sure its done to our satisfaction. service manager also emailed to keep us posted so we will see how it goes. A little customer service & good communication goes a long way.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:45 AM   #20
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Glad they're stepping up for you.