Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-03-2014, 03:10 AM   #1
troutbum53
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14437
Pulling doubles

Has anyone had any issues with DOT or state troopers bothering you when pulling another trailer behind your 5th wheel? We want to pull a 10 foot motorcycle trailer behind us once a year when we go to Florida in the winter. I will be under 65 foot with the double trailer set up which is within legal limits.

troutbum53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:50 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
This is a frequent topic of discussion, particularly on the open roads forum. If you check trailer towing laws, Florida is one of a number of states that do not allow "triple towing". Triple towing in the RV world means a tow vehicle and two towed vehicles.

Although some states do not allow it, I am not sure I have ever read where someone was actually stopped for doing it in one of those states. However, if you did get stopped, you would probably have to drop the second trailer, take the first trailer somewhere and leave it, and return for the second one.

Here is one towing law site. Can't guarantee the accuracy of the info.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
I can understand why folks would want to tow something behind their 5er, but in a lot of states that means you're not supposed to go off Interstates & designated byways. Even those that allow this don't want you towing on two lane roads. My question is, how easy is it to get to that CG, resort, boat ramp or wherever you're going ignoring the legalities of it all.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:29 AM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Many states do not allow double trailers, you will have to research each specific state you will be going through on your way to FL. Out west, we do it all the time, but it must be a 5th wheel/goose-neck to a bumper pull. I have not found a state that allows two bumper pulls in tandem.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
The past 3 year, I have pulled a trailer behind the Montana from Ohio to Florida. I'm not promoting it, but I've not had any problems, yet! Ohio, Ky and Tenn, allow double trailers as long as the first is a fifth wheel and the second is a ball trailer. Ga. and Fla do not allow double tow, but in my experience, they don't bother you if you have out of state plates. This is the only way to get my Harley there and back in the winter. Like I said, I'm not promoting the doubles.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

..........but it must be a 5th wheel/goose-neck to a bumper pull. ...........
This is a note on the trailer towing link above,

43. With certain qualifications. Only with fifth-wheel trailer in AZ, IL, MI, MN, MB (maximum length 23 m.), SK and YT.

A number of states that, according to the link, allow towing two trailers do not have that qualifying note attached, TX, NM, CO are examples.

Again, I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the information.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #7
napria
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14116
I have very much wanted to bring a golf cart to Disney when we go. Because of this I originally looked at toyhaulers when we sold our previous fifth wheel. None of them had a homey feel, except the Mountaineer. Since production had stopped on the mountaineer toyhauler, we ended up looking at Montana's and I gave up the idea of bringing our own golf cart till I saw this: http://www.cedarcreekrvownersclub.co...hp?f=24&t=1324

Because it is attached to the fifthwheel and does not move independently of it, it is not considered a trailer, but part of the fifthwheel. Or so they say. Seems like a solution to me.
napria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:09 AM   #8
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
I would hit a snag with the tow combination over 60' requirement. I'm already at 57'.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 04:39 PM   #9
troutbum53
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14437
We looked at the swivel wheel trailer system, but they will not accommodate a Gold Wing trike (too long and maybe too heavy too)..... Harley trikes fit just fine. I have considered having a swivel wheel trailer made that would haul out trike, may still go that route.
Old 07-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #10
tbhd2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5709
As long as your state allows it, you can tow double if you meet your states requirement. Michigan requires an endorsement on your license. Florida does not allow double but we see it all the time on US 27. Pulling large boats and even cars behind. So I guess it's up to the authorities whether or not it's allowed.
tbhd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:59 AM   #11
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

The past 3 year, I have pulled a trailer behind the Montana from Ohio to Florida. I'm not promoting it, but I've not had any problems, yet! Ohio, Ky and Tenn, allow double trailers as long as the first is a fifth wheel and the second is a ball trailer. Ga. and Fla do not allow double tow, but in my experience, they don't bother you if you have out of state plates. This is the only way to get my Harley there and back in the winter. Like I said, I'm not promoting the doubles.
Hi

Florida recently change the regulations and doubles are now allowed however the front trailer has to be the “semi” type hitch the second trailer can be any type of approved hitch IE ball, pintle hook or fifth wheel and neither trailer can be over 28.5 feet long.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #12
troutbum53
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #14437
I appreciate the input and info, I think we will hook the 10' enclosed trailer behind the Montana and see how it goes.
Old 07-04-2014, 10:54 AM   #13
jlb27537
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13157
We double all the time. I am 66'6" combined. Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas have 65' limits. Never a look from anyone.

When we had the pusher, I had the CRV behind the MH and a 6x10 trailer behind the Honda. 70' overall. Again not a single look.

Just don't do something stupid.

2012 Ram Laramie 3500 DRW 4x4 3.73 Tow Max Pkg B&W Companion 60 gal RDS aux fuel tank. 2014 Montana 3150RL, 2 A/C's, Leather, 6 Point Jacks, Splendede WD2100XC, Mor/ryde X-Factor, Duravis 250 tires with TST 507RV monitors. 2 x Honda EU2000's
jlb27537 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #14
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jlb27537

Just don't do something stupid.
What - like get caught?
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:39 AM   #15
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
The Florida law is a copy of the federal DOT law. Doubles are not allowed to be longer than 28.5 feet each.

Florida does permit doubles on some state roads by permit that is 53 feet each. The Federal DOT doesn’t allow this on the Interstate system.

Same thing with weight Florida allows 88,000 lbs on state road but not Interstate roads.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:47 AM   #16
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
According to that link only 2 states west of the Mississippi do not allow triple towing and they are Or and Wa. most of the east coast with the exception of Md do not allow triple towing. It appears as if a state east of the Mississippi is touching salt water it does not allow triple towing Alabama to Maine. All the states off salt water allow triple towing. Not sure what the salt water has to do with it but that seems to be how it works out.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:15 AM   #17
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
It may be how they VOTE. Nanny, Nanny.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:12 AM   #18
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

According to that link only 2 states west of the Mississippi do not allow triple towing and they are Or and Wa. most of the east coast with the exception of Md do not allow triple towing. It appears as if a state east of the Mississippi is touching salt water it does not allow triple towing Alabama to Maine. All the states off salt water allow triple towing. Not sure what the salt water has to do with it but that seems to be how it works out.
All this gets pretty confusing. If you are reading some type of trucker publication and it talks about regulating triple towing it is referring to a fifth wheel (semi tractor) pulling a trailer, and two more trailers attached behind that. "Double Bottoms" which most of us see all the time is a fifth wheel (semi tractor) pulling one trailer with one attached behind that. I haven't checked all the states but I am not familiar with any that would not allow a "double bottom" combination, which would be your pickup truck, Montana, and another trailer being pulled. If I recall correctly, Ohio and several other states allow triples, but they are a minority. If I pulled a trailer with my Montana my guess would be there are no states where that combination would be illegal. It is possible it could be over some type of total length restriction, but sometimes RV's are exempt from total length restriction depending on the state. As far as running a "double-bottom" combination down the interstate, or any designated truck route where it is legal, you are allowed to get a certain number of miles off that route for deliveries, repairs, etc. So, depending on what state you are in, you may still be legal on the interstate and even 5 miles off the interstate while driving to that campground and back. I can almost guarantee you that pulling a 10' trailer behind any Montana would be legal in any state. However, as stated you may have to stay on, or close to designated truck routes (which a trucker's atlas will show you).
Old 07-05-2014, 10:30 AM   #19
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
There are any number of articles on the web about triple towing in the RV world as meaning a tow vehicle towing two vehicles behind it.

here is one
Old 07-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #20
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

There are any number of articles on the web about triple towing in the RV world as meaning a tow vehicle towing two vehicles behind it.

here is one
That is an excellent article and explains what I was attempting to explain further. My problem is that the "RV World" probably should have never started calling these combinations something different from the actual commercial trucking industry in the first place because it is confusing. I have a pretty decent understanding of most of the general federal regs due to spending 6 months in the Illinois State Police Academy as a "Baby Bear" and 22 years on the road. If you look up reliable federal transportation regulations then a double will be a truck tractor pulling two trailers, the first of which will be attached by 5th wheel/king pin and the second by pin/hook type hitch. It you look up a triple then it is the same combination except there are three trailers. This terminology is what we should all be concerned with and not what folks selling RV's or writing articles have decided to call these combinations. State Troopers in almost all the states are the only ones authorized by the federal government to enforce federal transportation regulations. There are very few local law enforcement Officers allowed to enforce the fed standards. Some states have enacted local regulations that could mirror some of the regs, and those could be dealt with by local law enforcement. So if you are pulling an extra motorcycle trailer with your truck and Montana when the Trooper pulls you over, don't start blabbing about thinking triple-bottoms were legal and all that because he will just look at you like you have three heads! He will then probably explain that you were either speeding, didn't use your turn signal, or left you poodle tied up to your bumper when you pulled onto the interstate.....he most likely will not be pulling you over for being a double-bottom RV. At least I don't think so in this country yet.