Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #21
grampachet
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8045
This is a post from a year ago or so. I was living in Canada at the time and the RCMP informed me that the 250 and 350 are some of the most stolen vehicles. I had installed my own idea of an anti theft device and it did work, here were my thoughts at the time. I am so sorry to hear of your loss.

As I looked at my F250 this morning I noticed the drivers door was not locked. I tried to lock it using the 8/9 button and it wouldn't lock. Kept trying, using the inside auto lock...no luck. Tried my key and oops it had been broken. grr After looking some more I saw the ignition switch was destroyed, totally. grr grr
I am thankful nothing was stolen, gps, hands-free phone device, ipod player, brake control, socket kit and much more was still there, not even touched.
I have a customized anti-theft system I made that kept the Ford sitting in my driveway. I installed a hidden switch that breaks the circuit that allows you to put the vehicle in gear. (you know the one that requires you to step on the brake to put into gear.) Guess I sorta won that one.

Good luck on your search for a new truck.

grampachet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #22
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
A division of our used car business does buy-here-pay-here. As a condition of the sales contract we install GPS/Starter Disable electronics that are hidden in the vehicle. When they don't pay we disable the starter and locate it by GPS and pick it up. This system has also been used to help police recover stolen vehicles and have been purchased specifically by some of our regular customers for this purpose. Cost is usually around $250 - $300 with no monthly fee. Most B-H-P-H do this.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 05:48 AM   #23
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
kab449 - if you don't mind my asking, what is the name of the unit and who supplies it?
Also, have thieves found a way around it yet?
Thanks.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 10:32 AM   #24
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Longwell

kab449 - if you don't mind my asking, what is the name of the unit and who supplies it?
Also, have thieves found a way around it yet?
Thanks.
Larry
Larry:
We were getting them from a company in Canada but recently switched to this company:
[http://procongps.com/gps.php]
don't know if they sell retail but you may be able to contact them for a dealer close to you.
The only way they can be defeated is if the vehicle battery goes completely dead or is disconnected and of course if the thief snoops under the dash and finds it. If they are well hidden no one ever suspects something like this is present.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 05:34 AM   #25
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
kab449: Thanks for the information.
I used their "contact us" tab to send them an inquiry to ask if they sold to individuals and, if not, is there a retailer list available. I well post their answer when/if I receive it.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #26
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
I have a system installed on my truck that breaks the starter and fuel system when you leave the truck. It is a very simple system and basically when installed, the wiring harness is opened and "somewhere" in the harness the wire going to the starter solenoid is jumped and somewhere else the fuel pump power is jumped. The harness is then re-assembled. A female plug is mounted somewhere in the cab, the male plug which is keyed when plugged in will re-connect the starter and fuel system. Pull the plug and both systems are cut. A thief would have to disassemble the wiring harness to find where the two all black wires go and reconnect them to take your truck.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 02:25 PM   #27
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Interesting... Where did you have this done and what did it cost you? Details please.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bighornram

I have a system installed on my truck that breaks the starter and fuel system when you leave the truck. It is a very simple system and basically when installed, the wiring harness is opened and "somewhere" in the harness the wire going to the starter solenoid is jumped and somewhere else the fuel pump power is jumped. The harness is then re-assembled. A female plug is mounted somewhere in the cab, the male plug which is keyed when plugged in will re-connect the starter and fuel system. Pull the plug and both systems are cut. A thief would have to disassemble the wiring harness to find where the two all black wires go and reconnect them to take your truck.
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:22 PM   #28
bighornram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11619
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

Interesting... Where did you have this done and what did it cost you? Details please.
www.ravelco.com

This is a simple MECHANICAL device. I simply provides a keyed plug that that breaks 2 wires. You cut the starter wire, splice in circuit A and then cut fuel wire 2 splice the circuit B wires. re-tape the harnes back together. The plug conpletes the A and B circuits. The plug attaches to your keyring. It is effective because you can't hotwire the electical system because you have no fuel to the engine either. It can be removed but the thief doesn't know where the splices are and CAN disassemble the harness to find it but that will take a long time and there are many other easier targets for them to find.

I distributed for a while and installed it.
bighornram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:02 AM   #29
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bighornram

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CORattler

www.ravelco.com

This is a simple MECHANICAL device. I simply provides a keyed plug that that breaks 2 wires. You cut the starter wire, splice in circuit A and then cut fuel wire 2 splice the circuit B wires. re-tape the harnes back together. The plug conpletes the A and B circuits. The plug attaches to your keyring. It is effective because you can't hotwire the electical system because you have no fuel to the engine either. It can be removed but the thief doesn't know where the splices are and CAN disassemble the harness to find it but that will take a long time and there are many other easier targets for them to find.

I distributed for a while and installed it.
That's what we have on ours. Their website says they have never had a vehicle stolen. "Never" works for me!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote