Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
cost of additions & improvments

What is total cost of additions & improvments to your Montana? example 5k or 500.00.

for all of the improvements on the rigs, inside &/or outside, decals & or painted murals, generators and or solar panels, safety lights, cameras, etc.

These are just a few that I've thought of and I know my genset alone was a few thousand.

I also know the additions to many are a hobby, such as working on cars and trucks so it seems to be minor $. I'm thinking to add all of my wish list from this site I'd break my bank.

And finally how long do you keep your rigs before upgrading to your next rig?

Did you transfer any of your additions / upgrades to the new rig?

Which ones did you transfer?

thanks
chuck

lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Approximately 5K on an Onan 5500 including installation.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:04 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I spent $1800 for MOR/ryde Individual Suspension axles. Added four solar panels, Pro-Sine 2.0 inverter, two Lifeline D8 12 volt batteries, voltage monitor panel and other miscellaneous peripherals at a cost of $7,000 installed. Re-routed the power line for the AC to the rear where it comes off a separate breaker and will only be available when connected to shore power which was included in the $7,000. Had a bookcase built at a cost of $200. Added a SHURflo Extreme Sensor pump at a cost of about $180. I think you can go to any amount you want to spend. For example, Ozz has done a lot of modifying and probably gets by a little cheaper than those of us who aren't as handy as he is.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:30 AM   #4
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
All the mods we did to our Montana we had, were about $200 with Don doing the work. This is the wiring in of surge protector, several extra plug ins, wiring for the 2nd AC, plexglas on screen door, stain glass window film, screen door opener, plug-in the basement, Ran a separate circuit for dryer, he added 3 extra circuits for trailer. Added better electrical boxes for the plug-ins too.
This is not adding the cost of the 2nd AC which was around $800. Or the washer dryer was around $800 too. Surge protector was around
$300.
Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 04:54 AM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I agree that you can spend any amount you want. I got the dealer to include the stacked washer and dryer along with the second A/C and a couple of satellite internet connections in the deal. Are those considered add-ons?

I transfered a number of improvements when we traded. Like Sewer Solution, Plugitrite Stabilizers, all hoses and connections, Autoformer, Intermetic surge suppression; all things we had bought specifically for the unit. Of course we could not transfer cabinet alterations, etc.

I don't really know how much I spent. as you say it was like a hobby and who counts,
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:22 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm. Most of our improvement were safety related...Like the bed saver, V-Tail gate, Rear Cam, Dorian tire pressure monitor system. Others convenience related like the Washer/Dryer, second Air Conditioner. Others to correct or improve on things that were falling apart or deteriorating on the camper, Like the greasable shackle kit, doors falling off, cabinet hinges pulling out of the wall board, Wallpaper border falling off the wall, improper wiring, leaking pipes. Replace/upgrade the OEM tires and valve stems. I have not kept a total of money spent over what we paid for the camper as we consiered all of it necessary but it is in the 4K+ area.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 08:33 AM   #7
John Bowers
Established Member

M.O.C. #7888
Jees, Rich. You're scaring me with the talk of the deterioration of your camper. You list it as the 2006 3400RL, and already your door hinges are pulling out, doors falling off, leaking pipes, etc. Should I be expecting these problems early down the road?

I'm a very sedate driver, usually doing 60 - 65 (maximum) on the highway while pulling any trailer. My driveway is the killer for me, and the occasional rough railroad trestle. I'm fortunate not to have to subject my rig to the Pennsylvania highways, but still find a rare pothole or two that wants to jump in front of me. At any rate, I try not to shake, rattle, and/or roll the 5ver any more than absolutely necessary in my movements.

Well, I'll start a trailer repair fund now so that I'll be ready when I need the dough.

Merry Christmas to all.

John
John Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 09:55 AM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Okay, let's see.

First off, John, I think we have all had some of the screws holding the door hinges or catches "strip" - probably because of using a power driver at the factory (and that I don't blame for using). So, a quickand easy fix is to use SuperGlue Gel adhesive with a couple of wooden toothpicks. Put the toothpicks in the gel and then insert into the original hole in the cabinet, etc. Let stand for a couple of minutes, bread the toothpicks so that they are flush with the cabinet and then insert the screw. Just like new. Also happens on cabinets in the stick house.

As for improvemets:

http://snfexpress.com/travels/mods.html

Cost? About $5,000. Much of the stuff can be transfered to another 5th wheel. All but the picture frames, slide toppers and base plate for the satellite dish.

We expect to have our 2006 for a total of 6 years before looking at a new Montana.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Quote:
quote:Jees, Rich. You're scaring me with the talk of the deterioration of your camper. You list it as the 2006 3400RL, and already your door hinges are pulling out, doors falling off, leaking pipes, etc. Should I be expecting these problems early down the road?

We did not have any cabinet doors or cabinets come off and we are long timers, not full time yet but on the road a lot. So we did use it a lot. Our Montana was a 2004 that we bought new and didn't have any major problems with it.
Did have to replace fridge and main AC under warranty with Dometic.

I will say I didn't count the upgrades to the truck, tire monitors, bedsaver and etc.
A lot of the upgrades we transfered to new trailer. Surge protector and some minor things. Some we had to leave of course.

Old 12-21-2007, 11:17 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Gosh..The things I mentioned are fairly common and have been experienced by many. We had the top of the bathroom door pull away because a craftsman put the hinge pin in upside down.. It just fell out the bottom due to bouncing down the road. Also had to do a repair on our rear closet doors today as they would not close properly . Except for the single screw on that far right (looking at it) all the screws were loose and working out of the top track, again due to bouncing down the road(who would have thunk that would happen) they were short screws to boot, simple fix, Longer screws and some shims.We are long timers and do 12K+ miles per year in this 3400 and live in it 6/7 months of the year.These are Recreational vehicles and we subject them to stress they are not designed for. You can keep ahead of the game by reading this forum on a regular basis and benefiting from what other have experienced and how they repaired the issue. Did not mean to be scary..these are normal everyday things for me. just part of Rv'ing.
Old 12-21-2007, 02:24 PM   #11
John Bowers
Established Member

M.O.C. #7888
Yeah, I s'pose this is normal wear and tear. I just have to avoid stumbling around the inside and grasping at doors, curtains, etc. And, even I have a few loose screws, if you listen to Cathy. She's chased me with a glue gun already.

John
Old 12-21-2007, 05:24 PM   #12
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
Guess we were lucky with our Montana, or it was built on a different day of the week. It was a good one!

I feel bad for people that have had problems with their coach.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:38 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
John..Our previous RV was over 10 years old and in perfect condition when we sold it.I can only remember having a leak around one window and a broken spring after 9 years. We were weekend and vacation campers and used the camper maybe 40 to 60 days a year. With increased use comes increased problems just like anything else. Just for drill check the tightness of ALL your cabinet and door hinge screws. With light pressure if they will turn, they are stripped. Check your door hinge pins....are they all in with the blunt end up...In our Pre delivery check we found 23 stripped screws on our cabinet doors because we know about that from this forum.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:27 AM   #14
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
$1,000 for 2nd AC (installed)
$1,250 for Kipor IG3000 Generator
$250 for Surge Protector & EMS
$600 for Autoformer
$200 for misc cables, cords, ends, etc to install above two internally
That is to date, still pending estimated as follows,
$250 Cabinet enclosure for Vesta dishwasher
$50 for addition of basement outlet and tv connection
$600 for LCD basement HDTV
That should be about it for year one, year two expenditures and ideas are open allowing for more great ideas that will most likely originate from our great MOC forum pals.
Merry CHRISTmas to all
Count your blessings and remember to thank the REASON for the season!!!

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:41 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
We got almost all of the options from the factory, and then spent easily another $10K in aftermarkets such as the generator, electric awning, satellite antenna, washer and dryer, JTs, Remote Control, etc. I paid no labor to install, so it could have been more if I hadn't done it myself.

As far as taking it with you for the next one, to keep the trade in value up, you don't want to leave too many holes. I did keep the generator from our last Montana, but I would probably leave the satellite dish, JTs, remote control, etc. as it would be more trouble to remove and cover the holes left behind.

Interesting - Between factory options and aftermarket items I have added to my Montana, I most likely have spent as much as I would on a well negotiated 2008 Big Sky that now is available with everything I have added such as a remote control system and satellite dome. Had the Big Sky been available when we purchased, I would have been money ahead and feature ahead by going with the Big Sky. something to think about next time folks start wondering about the price difference.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 01:13 PM   #16
John Bowers
Established Member

M.O.C. #7888
Rich,

I really appreciate your information and advice. Reading your, and others', input to this forum makes me very glad that I found it and joined it before I grabbed my Montana.

I will definitely keep up maintenance on my rig, with the help of all of you. I'm not in any position to tell anyone "I know that already" on any aspect of camper care. Already, I've downloaded posts of maintenance routines, pre-moving checklists, set-up checklists, and even a couple recipes for Cathy (if she'll cook in the camper).

We're going to Cancun in January for a two-week holiday to start the new year properly. We'll begin our camping year in early February. By then, I should have been able to digest enough input from all to be confident and comfortable in beginning our RV lifestyle.

Again, Merry Christmas to everyone.

John & Cathy
Old 12-22-2007, 04:22 PM   #17
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
So far it's only been $1500 for custom graphics, $500 for a tire pressure monitor, $15 for a new exhaust flapper, $150 for a stained glass window for the door and $150 for a Zaxis remote landing gear system.

This is our first new rig in 9 years, before that we went thru 4 rv's in 2 years until we found one we really liked. So far we've had zero problems with the Montana.

tc
Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote