Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2008, 04:46 PM   #1
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Cleaning the Exterior of Monty

Our 3400RL is gelcoated yet bug traffic has left the front tattoed!

Any specific cleaning product that is good to clean the leftover residue and also the cleaning type cloth or other product as well?

Tks. Dennis

mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Wet it down real well and then take a few Bounce fabric softener sheets and scrub the bugs off. It may take a few but just keep them wet and they really help take the bugs off, even the Florida Love Bugs. Once you have it clean then rinse well with water and wipe dry. It may take a couple scrubs as you can see right away if you missed any when you rinse. If it is really bad I use some Totally Awesome which I get at the Dollar Tree. I use it full strength with the Bounce. But the bounce usually works first time.. I treat the front with a product called Rejex that I get at True Value Hardware stores. Since I have been using it I just have to hose the bugs off, with very little scrubbing... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
the problem with awsome is it take off the wax ,, so then you re wax ,, well here in nc a guy from ft myers , fl is here so i made a deal wash and wax as my shoulders are bad ,, you younger guys can do it but i can't anymore so hire it done ,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:46 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I only use the Awesome full strength when the bugs are real bad. Otherwise I use it 50/50 or less, 50/50 works for black streaks and light bugs, also leaf stains. I also use the larger Micro-Fiber towels from Wally World. They scrub well and dry very well... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:09 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
You can use any fabric softener sheets not just Bounce! I've used the cheap one and they did just as good a job! You can even use the used sheets that have been in the dryer. They also work! Just keep them wet and scrub away all those nasty little bugs. Awesome also works but as said earlier, it does take off the wax and you have to rewax! My shoulder is bad also and I sometimes put two or three of the fabric softener sheets on an extending brush I have and work the upper part of the nose with it and it works also!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:12 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I use the fabric softener sheets and Turtle Wax ICE. This product has a detailer that works great on the bugs and applies some wax also. I do put a good coat of wax on once it is clean. There is a little work but the fabric softener sheets really make a difference.

ICE is expensive but I like its results. It can be found in most auto stores and Wal Marts/K Marts.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 02:24 AM   #7
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Thanks to all of you for your input. We left Gettysburg June 4th and stayed on the road in PA, OH, and KY and it just mounted up to a level that I have most of the bad guys gone but want to bring it back to new if I can. John, I do have the ICE that I can also use. You're right it wasn't cheap! Dennis
Old 06-21-2008, 03:03 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use awesome full strength.the bugs run off..since we do not hand wax we care not about removing the wax.We do use a liquid auto car wash wax and that works for us.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:09 AM   #9
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Hit those Bug's as quick as possible. I use car wash soap (Zip)and the long handle brush.Works for us.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 03:29 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
The best way is to NOT let the bugs on any longer than absolutely necessary. Even when in a CG for just one night I take a bucket of water and the dryer sheets and clean them off before they have a chance to dry. More often than not they will come of with just a wet rag or sponge. My Monty's nose graphics are pitted due to, I presume, the acid in the bugs that I left on for just two weeks.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 11:25 AM   #11
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Thanks Glenn, Rich and Kdeiss for your suggestions or experiences. I know from Florida that "love bugs" better be removed quickly or the paint can be compromised on a vehicle but was a little late getting to our Monty. Will keep at it as most of it is gone except more noticeable on the decal areas. Tks. Dennis
Old 06-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #12
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I noticed the last time I cleaned the front cap, after a week of travel, that the bugs did leave some pitted areas on the graphics. Last time I'll do that. I'll be washing more on a daily basis when traveling. Bounce did work to take them off but I had to use 10 sheets full sir! Also, bounce left a 'swirl' type streak so i topped it off by using some Dawn dishsoap and the soft brush. Cleaned up well.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:30 PM   #13
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
if you use awsome and then use that liquid spray on the unit its like a 1 week wax job,,, but a cheep job at best.. i just had mine washed and waxed since i had my shoulders done i quit waxing the anything,, the wet wax is a waist of money .. get a good wax job and be good for a year or more ,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #14
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Bounce sheets and the right ladder for reaching makes it a 10-minute job.

The trick is to put the wax on BEFORE the bugs!
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #15
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

The best way is to NOT let the bugs on any longer than absolutely necessary.
Agree.

If you get to them before they get baked on, most will come right off with a sponge and regular car wash stuff. Also, the sponges inside what looks like a hair net are a big help and will not remove the wax.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:31 AM   #16
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
As suggested, Bounce and Awesome worked great. Here's a guy from Florida asking, considering we are the Love Bug capital, but I usually clean the vehicles promptly and for some idiotic reason did not clean the Monty. The bugs in PA, OH, KY, TN and NC are probably just as bad but not as many to deal with, it seems. Thanks again everyone. Dennis
Old 07-02-2008, 04:35 AM   #17
jimcar827
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4829
I have heard the Lava soap incased in an old sock is a great bug remover.
Jim
jimcar827 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:42 AM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I use Bounce sheets, then I have been using a car wash product from Rain-X that is a wash and wax. I really like the product because it leaves a shiny finish and bugs don't stick as much, or at least they come off easily. Try it, you'll like it!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 06:38 AM   #19
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
We used to spray our car grills with pam for love bugs. Don't know if it would stain fiberglass or not.
PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #20
cmp-shooter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3928
EXNAVYDIVER...Are the "love bugs" the onces that go foward and backward at the same time????
cmp-shooter is offline   Reply With Quote