Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #1
OldBaldGuy

M.O.C. #7529
Warranty question...

Howdy,

I am brand new here, and wanted to just jump in with a question. We are currently full-timing in a Winnebago Class A, and are in the process of changing over to a fifthwheel. We found a Montana that we fell in love with, but friends who are more knowledgable about fifthwheels than we are brought up two points that we must consider. Number one, they say that Keystone does not stand behind their warranty well at all, that in fact it is very difficult to get any warranty work done; and number two that Keystone does not cover trailers that are lived in full time. Is there any merit to either of these statements???

Thanks,

OldBaldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I don't know who you talked to but Keystone does stand behind their warranty. It's only the out-of-warranty (OOW) events that they waver on. Some OOW items they will take care of and others they won't. It's their choice and I always feel real good about any company that will take care of OAW repairs. They did for us on some things, but on other things they did not. It's a case by case thing.

We live in ours full time and they did some major OOW repairs on our unit at Goshen, IN knowing we were full time.

Rest assured, Keystone is a good company.

Orv

ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
I'll echo the response of ols! When we bought our 3295 in 2003 we had a number of warranty items that needed to be taken care of. All of them were promptly authorized by Keystone for the dealer to remedy. Most of the items were related to equipment provided by other vendors, but Keystone did what was necessary. They also extended our warranty for an extra 6 months because there were more issues that normal. After the warranty expired, I had a few issues, and Keystone helped me get to the original vendors so the issue could be resolved.

We just purchased our second Montana which was delivered Thursday, so our satisfaction resulted in a second purchase.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
OK, well... you can scratch out #1. What was number 2??? Oh yeah... scratch that one out too.

You have come to the "Land of Truth". Welcome aboard and keep reading this forum to get tons of info from those of us who actually live and play in these things. Always best to go the horses mouth rather than the other end... Less mess and no boots required...
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:00 PM   #5
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Just my 2 cents here, I agree Keystone is good for Warranty work. You should know though purchasing a used Montana does not transfer this obligation.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Welcome aboard, OBG. First, I think you are wise to research the brand before making the jump.

I think if you look around this forum you'll find many happy Montana owners and quite a few of us are fulltiming. We have never had any problems with getting warranty work done and both our dealer and Keystone are well aware we are fulltiming.

Also, Keystone is among the best, possibly the best, at standing behind the product, in my opinion. We are on our third Montana, our second while fulltiming. We stayed with this brand because we like the product and because the mfr stands behind it.

Montana is the number one seller in North America for each of the last six years. Any brand can make number one for a year or two, but to do so repeatedly for six years, well, there must be a reason for that. If they didn't stand behind the product, that wouldn't happen.

What I don't know is how the warranty transfers to a second owner. I would suggest you call Keystone and ask them. The number is somewhere on www.keystone-montana.com

Good luck, whatever you purchase.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:45 AM   #7
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Welcome to the forum OBG. Just another satisfied Montana owner chiming in. We have owned our 2950 for almost two years and have full timed in it almost as long. We also have had some warranty issues with our unit and both our dealer and Keystone both know we full time in it. We have never had a problem getting any repairs authorized. I have to say that our dealer has bent over backward to assist us with any issue we have ever had.

gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 04:10 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
One of the primary reasons we chose a Montana over other brands is that Keystone does stand behind the 1 year warranty.In just about every case the dealer was the issue in getting warranty work done, Choose your dealer carefully. The full timers on the forum can speak to warranty and full time use. We DID purchase a extended Warranty.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:12 AM   #9
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Welcome to the forum. We're with the rest, just can't say enough good about the company and they way they stand behind their product long after the warranty has expired. As someone else pointed out a good dealer is essential.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 02:15 AM   #10
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
Of all the ones we have owned, I give Keyston a 12 on the 10 scale for warranty and we got a great dealer. Have NEVER been turned away from Keystone or our dealer.
Our DEALER and KEYSTONE know we fulltime, and they have forwarded parts to us all over the u.s. when we needed small items. Most of the time KEYSTONE does it under warranty EVEN THOUGH it isnt. Just a great bunch of hard working people that are nice to deal with under the worse of circumstances.
For no other reason, if we ever buy again, it will be with Keystone. And the appliance makers seem to go out of their way to help you, when you say you have a Montana. See the micro over thread. I bet no other brand gets the same service and also the Sealand toilet issue. Darned glad we got a Keystone!
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 05:09 AM   #11
OldBaldGuy

M.O.C. #7529
Many thanks for all the responses. We have decided not to get the orignial trailer we fell in love with, refer too small, and they can't change it out for a larger one. So we will keep looking, but will keep looking at Montanas.

I'll be back...

OldBaldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 10:36 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
OBG..Look at the big Sky....Good for a full timer...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote