Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2007, 10:46 AM   #1
montanaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5414
Fins in Dometic Refrigerator

Thanks for the great tips on defrosting. Now does anyone know why the fins freeze up so fast with frost/ice? Have you had this situation and if so what did you do about it. thanks.

montanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Two things to check.

1, how cold is the fridge interior, if it is set too cold it may cause it ice up.

2, There should be a little clip thing on the right hand end fin. Is it there? If so, try sliding it down the fin a bit. That clip contains the sensor that the fridge uses to measure the temperature. Sliding it will make it read colder and shut off sooner, hence, less frost. If the clip is not there, see if you can find it hanging from a thin wire somewhere and put it back on the end fin. If you can't find it at all - time to call the dealer.

(Now that I think about it a bit more, I'm not sure if the clip should be slid up or down, try down first, if that does not work, try up, or maybe someone else knows for sure)

Hope this helps.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #3
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
As OntMont states, sliding the Thermistor up or down the fin will control the temp inside the fridge interior. Move the Thermistor up the fin for cooler and down the fin for warm.

Here is a tip to help remember this:
Up (North) = Cold
Down (South) = Warm

Hope that helps.

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 11:09 PM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
My o my, I learn something everytime I sign on to this forum. Great Tip on this - thanks.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 02:36 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I just had this issue pop up a few days ago and I was as confused as John! Thanks for the clarification and the easy-to-remember description.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:33 PM   #6
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Thanks for the info on that plastic slide thingy. I have been trying to figure that one out for a while. I thought the indicator on the outside top of the fridge determined the temp inside.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #7
EagleRunner
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5255
Here is some more information on adjusting temp inside the fridge.

How cold should my fridge get? The answer is it depends on the ambient temperature, but generally the fridge will operate at 38-42 degrees Fahrenheit (4-6 degrees Celsius). This represents a 40-degree drop from typical ambient temperature, with the temperature control set at 3. A refrigerator in an older coach will lose its efficiency as it ages and it may not be able to maintain this temperature without adjusting the temperature control to 4 or 5. The freezer section is designed to be 30 degrees (15 degrees Celsius) less than the fridge temperature.

To adjust the temp using the thermistor, with the fridge set at 3 and normal operating temperatures of 70-75 degrees outside, measure the inside temperature using a fridge thermometer. If the fridge is too warm move the thermistor upwards on the fin (Up is Colder like “Up North”). This will calibrate the temperature and maintain the proper temperature on 3.

Hopefully these items make it easier for you to live with you Dometic refrigerator.

EagleRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:40 PM   #8
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Tom this is more good information to know. I am goign ot start tinkering with the fridge tomorrow.
Thanks
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 02:22 AM   #9
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
Hoo-Haa, this place is a cornucopia of useful information
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 03:03 AM   #10
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
open the freezer door and look up to the inner edge. there should be a on/off switch. flip the switch to on and that should solve most of the icing up on the fins.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 05:16 AM   #11
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Joe,

That switch just turns on a 12v heater that heats the outer freezer door frame to prevent dew collecting there. (It also runs down batteries pretty fast). It has nothing to do with the cooling fins inside the fridge.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote