Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2007, 10:25 AM   #1
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
TWO TV'S

Today I was asked if I was going to install a DVD player in the Bed Room ? QUESTION, is there a way to play the DVD player from the living room on the bed room TV? or both TV's. Ther must be some kind of switch box for this?

BOB

Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 11:50 AM   #2
Gumby56
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6290
I may have a piece of the solution for you. Radio Shack used to sell a device called a UHF/Cable Modulator. It allowed you to take the standard video output from a device (RCA cables) and convert it to a specific standard cable channel. They stopped making it (maybe last year) but you can still get it on the web.

I used it to broadcast a video baby monitor throughout the house.

Here is the trick, I reversed a splitter and put it in-line with cable feed coming into the house. I'm not sure how that would work in a Montana. Maybe someone else would know that. I have a double cable jack with a jumper in the bedroom. That is where I would try it.

I hope that helps!
Gumby56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2007, 01:24 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Bob,

You can transmit whatever you need to the bedroom TV through the "jumper" jack in the Living Room. It just depends on how you set it up.

With our 3400 and the new HDTV and satellite and dual tuner receivers and (blah blah) it is getting too complicated and I have other plans for that factory run cable between TVs. As a result, I did it the easy way and bought a DVD player at Wallmart for the bedroom for $29. It's only about half the size of a normal player and fits well in the closet shelf.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 04:50 AM   #4
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
Thanks Bob,
I searched UHF/Cable Modulator and found a site that sells I think what Iam looking for

http://www.x10.com/products4/google/...le_tv_nv.html#

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:02 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Brad, does the standard Wingard (or whatever brand) RV antenna pick up HD channels if hooked up to the HDTV tuner rather that the ASCI (or whatever it's called)? Then would it pick up non-HD channels if hooked up to the other tuner?? Can a splitter be used to hook the same antenna up to both dual tuners and have the best of both worlds )HD & non-HD broadcasts)?? (Not counting a satellite hookup)
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 06:23 AM   #6
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Over-the-air HDTV can be received using an ordinary TV antenna. You don't need a special antenna for HDTV, the one you have on the roof will work for both.
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
If you have an HD ready TV as Pete said, " Over-the-air HDTV can be received using an ordinary TV antenna". If you search the upper channels during the evening, you can usually find out what your neighbors are watching. Nice part is, on the pay per view stuff, you get it free when someone in your area has ordered it...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 12:50 PM   #8
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
So, am I right in thinking that if the TV has a dual tuner (HD and non-HD), then a simple splitter on the incoming coax with a feed to each tuner will allow all "off air" signals (HD AND non-HD)?

Montana Sky - what's this about the pay-per-view. Since the signal's in the area, the regular antenna will pick it up ?
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 02:57 AM   #9
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Camping World has a "Video Control Center" for around $40. I installed one at the living room TV and can select any source and send the signal to any TV, including the one in the basement. Just by pressing a button! Requires that you open the ant booster connection plate and bypass that booster since the "Center" has its own built in booster. That also allows you access to the bedroom TV cable so you can connect it to the back of the "Center".

Want to watch a DVD in the bedroom just select DVD on the Bedroom TV section of the "Center". At the same time you can watch cable or sat in the living room and the regular antenna at the basement. Just select the source for what signal you want to send to which TV.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 07:41 AM   #10
CanDo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2106
Don,
I am illiterate when it comes to doing electronic/electrical type things (and electricity scares me to death!!!). From what you described above there are some wiring modifications required. Does the "Center" come with some general instuctions or are you for hire??? Please, more detail on how to do this would be gratly appreciated. I'm sure there are some significant differences since we don't have the same Monty.
Dave
CanDo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 07:11 AM   #11
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
The Center comes with generic instructions. Actually it is fairly simple. The hard part is knowing which coax (in the Montana) does what. Once you figure out the source connections and the output connections it is easy to hook to the back of the Center. Since the Center comes with its own booster (for the ant) you need to bypass the existing booster, which also give you access to the ant Coax and the two TV coax. The Winegard website has a manual download http://www.winegard.com/mobile/pdf/2451991.pdf (2 TV version) or http://www.winegard.com/mobile/pdf/vs-0604.pdf Is the rear connections for the 3 TV version.

Only electrical connection you need is a 12 volt dc source, which is also on the existing booster. The wire and connector for the Center is included.

The Center operates on 110 volts with the supplied cord.

Then the tricky part is the typical input output to the DVD, VHS, Satellite receiver, surround sound and TV's. But the Center makes that almost a simple matter of hooking each component to corresponding jack on the back of the center.

Sorry but I don't do house calls especially clear across country in VA. I would be willing to bet there is a MOC member much closer that might be able to give you a hand if you run into trouble. You can always PM me also. Check out the manual and see if it looks like you CanDo the job?
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote