Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 08-09-2006, 05:36 PM   #1
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
TRUE Satellite Wiring (Sat. Prep)

Would like to see wiring specifically for satellite connections, both tripod (gound) mounted and roof mounted like other brands have. Most folks have a rats nest of RG6 cables in the ET center to handle it.

To be Specific:
1 - dual outside jacks (cable/satellite)
2 - standard or optional prewire for roof mounted satellite
3 - distribution switch inside the ET center for cable, satellite, VCR, etc. inputs & outputs; i.e. Winegard Distribution switch

Jim & Bev
'05 2955RL
'04 Duramax
Retired & Lovin' it!
[IMG] http://banners.wunderground.com/weat...rand_Blanc.gif border=0
alt="Click for Grand Blanc, Michigan Forecast" height=60 width=468>[/url]
[/IMG]

worknomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
I ordered ours with Sat prep and it has both cable and Sat inputs on the outside. In the bedroom it has an outlet for Sat and TV/cable. If you use the video inputs on the TV, you don't need a distribution switch. The TV has cable/antenna, AV, and component inputs. The TV is the only one that is hooked up to the receiver, that way the volume is controlled by the TV. My TV is mounted on a shelve that slides out and rotates so it was an easy hookup.

04 Silver Dodge Laramie QC 3500 DRW, HO Diesel, 2wd, 6spd, LB, 4.10, Sport pkg, Bun warmers, Jake.

2004 Big Sky 3670RL, Fireplace, Sat Dish/Dig Readout, Cent Vac, Big Sky & Value Pkg, 2 Fantastic Fans, Basement Tray, Safety Glass, 2 Batts, Pressure Pro
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I will have to agree with Jim & Bev on the satillite wiring. I would also add that a better understanding of what is given and how to attach the TV Vs the satellite would be a nice add to the PDI check list. My dealer said here it is, just plug her in. I like the idea of the sliding shelf too. I assume it was a personnel add after purchase?

Native Tex

O.V. & Kathy Bonner
Miss Ko-Ko (Chocolate Lab)
Huntsville, Al
'05, 3400RL
'05 F250 Ford King Ranch, CC, FX4/4x4, 6.0L PSD

"Freedom Isn't Free....Support Our Troops
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:52 PM   #4
c5racer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #444
Standard equipment in our 3670 Big Sky, don't know about the standard models.

04 Silver Dodge Laramie QC 3500 DRW, HO Diesel, 2wd, 6spd, LB, 4.10, Sport pkg, Bun warmers, Jake.

2004 Big Sky 3670RL, Fireplace, Sat Dish/Dig Readout, Cent Vac, Big Sky & Value Pkg, 2 Fantastic Fans, Basement Tray, Safety Glass, 2 Batts, Pressure Pro
c5racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
c5racer - satellite prep is not an option on Montanas...

Jim & Bev
'05 2955RL
'04 Duramax
Retired & Lovin' it!
[/IMG]
Old 08-10-2006, 06:25 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by worknomore

c5racer - satellite prep is not an option on Montanas...
True for the current models but it was an extra cost option on older models. We ordered sat prep and paid extra for it on our 2003 3295RK. And we never used it.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 02:53 PM   #7
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Steve,

Lot more folks haulin' dishes now than in '03, or getting domes installed with the prices coming down. I just think that, in this price range, it SHOULD be at least an option, if not standard. I, for one, would GLADLY pay for it. Seen the commercial 'Ditch the Dish'? Well, I 'CUT the cable' (COMCAST, to be specific).

Heck of a lot easier to do at the factory w/the roof & walls off than at home!

Jim & Bev
'05 2955RL
'04 Duramax
Retired & Lovin' it!
[/IMG]
Old 08-12-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, I didn't say it very well but sat prep is standard on the current Montanas. In the past it was an extra cost option. Now it is part of the Value Package. That's an "optional" package but is a mandantory option. So that makes it standard on every Montana, if that makes any sense. I got this info off our order form about 30 seconds ago. When we ordered, I wanted to make sure we have the prep, just in case.

You're right about a lot more dishes being hauled around and about it being easier for the factory to do all the wiring.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-12-2006, 05:20 PM   #9
Charlotte
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5847
Our Monty is a 2006 with the sat prep in the Value Package but the Direct installer did not use it. He said it had been their experience that the sat prep did not work. Don't know if he knew what he was talking about.
Charlotte
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Steve,

By 'Satellite prep' do they mean that there are now TWO separate inputs on the outside - 1 for cable & one for satellite, or are they still using the single input with a loop back cable in the ET center? If that is the case, then it is NOT prepped for satellite - its a Rube Goldberg solution. You have to remove that short cable connecting the two jacks in the ET center (cable mode), and run another cable to your satellite receiver (SAT mode). That only gets you satellite reception in the living area, not in the bedroom. To do that, you have to run another cable from the output side of the receiver back to the second jack in the ET center (plus turn off the booster). Yeah, it works, but to watch cable again, you have to REVERSE everything! Pain in the ...

I have an '05 2955RL & I still have an '05 brochure, and guess what? It has 'Satellite Prep' under the 'Value Package', which is a crock. Their 'satellite prep' is that 3" piece of RG6 with connectors to use as a loop-back connector. TRUE satellite prep has separate inputs jacks on the outside, separate output jacks on the inside (main & bedroom), and separate RG6 cable runs for all - bypassing the antenna booster (which the current wiring goes thru. PLUS Sat. prep in the roof for a dome dish.

The DirectTV installer that Charlotte used is correct - Montanas are NOT prepped properly for satellite reception - ground (tripod) or roof. Look at other brands (HitchHiker, Travel Supreme, SunnyBrook, etc.) - they are wired properly & STANDARD from the factory (HitchHiker includes roof prep)...

Until I see two jacks on the outside labled 'Cable' & 'Satellite', & a distribution switch on the inside, they ain't prepped. I HAVE prepped mine - less than $100.00 in materials, but a lot of work. But, I can watch cable, satellite (BOTH hooked up at the same time), or antenna just by pushing a button on the distribution switch (no cable switching, etc.)

Whew! Time for bed!

Jim & Bev
'05 2955RL
'04 Duramax
Retired & Lovin' it!
[/IMG]
Old 08-12-2006, 06:10 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
When we first had DirecTV installed, it was while we were parked in San Jose (for 2 years). Our installer used the Sat. Prep. We have LR on the Sat. Prep. We have the bedroom on another receiver with cable through the window directly to the dish. No diffence in reception.
Happy trails......................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 06:21 PM   #12
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Ed,

If yer happy, then I'm happy for ya. But I stand my ground - that little piece of cable Montana supplies to loop between the 2 jacks in the ET center DOES NOT constitute Satellite Prep. If it were there, you wouldn't hafta run a cable thru the window...

Jim & Bev
'05 2955RL
'04 Duramax
Retired & Lovin' it!
[/IMG]
Old 08-12-2006, 08:03 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Jim
I'm running the cable through the window because I have two receivers for DirecTV. We will eventually install another outlet at the bedroom site. Sat. Prep means you can install your sat. cable, it does not mean all the bells and whistles are inside. BTW this is Sue and all the posts from Parrothead are Sue.
Happy trails.................................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:55 AM   #14
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
My older Montana did not have any SAT prep so I did the following

1 I installed a straight through connection to the entertainment center. Use this for external SAT hookup.

2. I installed a roof mount SAT antenna and run cables to the front and back TV's Installed switches at each TV station so I could pushbutton select inputs.

3. Next I will install a Dual LNB that I bought for 10 bucks so I can have a receiver in the Bedroom and living room. I will update the switching in the bedroom so I can select the front receiver, bedroom receiver or cable.

If I were to order my new 3400 I would try to get it with the dual LNB roofmount antenna already installed so I wouldn't have to fool with it. The Antenna with the pushbutton setup.

Tom and Betty
1997 F250 PSD/AutoTranny
DIY Exaust Brake w/TC lockup
AutoMeter Tranny/EGT Gage
Translife Tranny Cooler
Superchips Towsafe
16K Draw-tite Slider
2000 Montana 2850RK
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:03 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If the camper were properly wired for sat you would be able to hook up the cable throw a switch or push a button and watch TV/Sat on both tv's..You can't so it isn't.

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 12:52 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jim, we don't have the new one yet so I don't know the answer to your question. On our 2003 there are two separate outside connectors. One is labeled "cable" and the other "satellite". I **think** when we looked at a 3400 on the dealer's lot there was a connector outside labeled "satellite" but I am not sure about that. I will know in a couple of weeks.

I thought the loop connector was to get the satellite signal to the bedroom tv. Apparently not.
Here is the diagram provided by Keystone when I asked. It "appears" there is a satellite dish connector but it's not real clear about that. It has to be connecting somewhere.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-14-2006, 12:57 AM   #17
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Steve,

First, to be diplomatic, I didn't ask a question, I made a statement to Keystone about what I would like to see as standard equip. or an option. Second, it is unfortunate that Keystone deleted the dual inputs since 2003. The single connector on the new ones (unless they've made a change in the last month) is labled "Cable/Satellite". The loop connector in the ET center, when in place, allows 'cable' (i.e., COMCAST, etc.) connection to the bedroom TV, not satellite. Without installing anything else for satellite, you have to remove the loop connector, attach an RG6 to the bottom connector, run it to your receiver, then run another cable from the output side of the receiver to the upper jack. This gets the sat signal to the bedroom. To watch cable again, you have to disconnect all that & reinstall the loop connector.

The way I have mine setup, I can have cable AND satellite connected ALL the time (AND the antenna), & switch between the 3 by pushing a button. I ALSO have satellite AND cable reception in the basement for outside viewing.

By the way, your 'main' TV is actually the bedroom TV; that is where the booster (antenna amp) is, and the LR TV is piggy backed on to it via a connector on the back of that wall plate. In other brands, the booster (the wall jack with the LED & pushbutton switch) is in the ET center and the bedroom TV is run from there. I realized that when I installed my Winegard distribution switch...

This is the way SAT PREP should be done from the factory, in addition to wiring installed in the roof for a possible future dome (like 2nd air prep).

And Sue, SAT PREP in the brochure DOES mean that all the bells and whistles SHOULD be installed inside if it were TRUE satellite prep, not just a $1.00 piece of 3" cable. Like Rich said, if you have to hook & unhook cables inside all the time instead of pushing a button to switch, then it AIN'T satellite prep! So as not to be misleading, Montana should state in their brochure 'Sat prep (no bells & whistles, just a loop back cable)'!

Jim & Bev
'05 2955RL
'04 Duramax
Retired & Lovin' it!
[/IMG]
Old 08-14-2006, 03:14 AM   #18
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In The 06 3400(we have one) if you have ONE sat receiver hooked up via the loop cable you WILL get sat on both tv's.it will be the same channel and controled from the LR TV where the Sat receiver is.you need TWO sat receivers to get different Sat can's of two Tv's. Worknomore ..can you PM me the instructions on how you hooked yours up so I can do mine..If you posted it I can't find it???

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 03:27 AM   #19
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
What you said is true (refer to my previous post - I basically said the same thing...)

The info on the Winegard switch is in http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=16363

As you know, we will be at the rally & you're welcome to look at the setup...

Jim & Bev
'05 2955RL
'04 Duramax
Retired & Lovin' it!
[/IMG]
Old 08-14-2006, 01:32 PM   #20
worknomore
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2216
Steve,

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings but I just returned from my local dealer, drooling again :=).

Anyway, he had a 3400RL with a build date of 7/12/06 on the lot. I looked in the new 'utility center' (I'm jealous) on the outside (actually in the basement) and lo 'n behold - one (1) single jack labeled 'Cable/Satellite', just like all the others (including mine) built after '03. They haven't changed in that respect.

Basically what we all have is 'Cable prep', with a mickey mouse way of hooking up a satellite receiver...

Jim & Bev
'05 2955RL
'04 Duramax
Retired & Lovin' it!
[/IMG]