Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2015, 09:52 AM   #1
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Going north across the Golden Gate?

We're at Half Moon Bay and will be leaving either Friday or Sat. Thinking about going north across the Golden Gate Bridge (DW hasn't been across it yet) before heading east towards Reno and back to VA. Any issues?

Old 09-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #2
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by WaltBennett

We're at Half Moon Bay and will be leaving either Friday or Sat. Thinking about going north across the Golden Gate Bridge (DW hasn't been across it yet) before heading east towards Reno and back to VA. Any issues?
In our humble opinion... Do not take your rig "into" San Francisco. You want to drive in your truck it is ok. The streets are narrow...and hilly. The bridge may be ok to drive over...we have not done it.... But, we have driven over the bridge in vehicles.

So, we would not do this. Go around the bay towards Sacramento.

Enjoy yiur trip! And I love..... HMB!!! Where did you stay?
Mynabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:24 AM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Like I said, we're at Half Moon Bay - that's on the coast, just south of SF. We'd be taking either 1 north from here or I280 up to 1 and the bridge.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Walt,
I'm born and raised in the area and take the following route all the time.
Take 92 to 280 and head north. In Daly City, keep straight on Hwy 1 (19th ave) through the city. Be in your left lanes (the 3 left most lanes become Hwy 1) . Hwy 1 continues straight while 280 is off to the right. Hwy 1 through the city is fine but I would be in the center lane all the way. There are too many busses in the right and the left lane is a turn only in Golden Gate Park.

This will take you directly to the bridge. Lanes are narrow but I have driven it with the RV many times. It is also the truck route through the city. There are no hills, just signals every block. If you time it right for traffic, it's only about 15-20 minutes.

BTW, on the bridge, you'll want to be in the right lane, it's wide for trucks, busses and rvs. The bridge approach from Hwy 1 will have you in the right lane so you should be good.

Let me know if you have any further questions. It is really not a problem!

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:58 AM   #5
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by brenkco

Walt,
I'm born and raised in the area and take the following route all the time.
Take 92 to 280 and head north. In Daly City, keep straight on Hwy 1 (19th ave) through the city. Be in your left lanes (the 3 left most lanes become Hwy 1) . Hwy 1 continues straight while 280 is off to the right. Hwy 1 through the city is fine but I would be in the center lane all the way. There are too many busses in the right and the left lane is a turn only in Golden Gate Park.

This will take you directly to the bridge. Lanes are narrow but I have driven it with the RV many times. It is also the truck route through the city. There are no hills, just signals every block. If you time it right for traffic, it's only about 15-20 minutes.

BTW, on the bridge, you'll want to be in the right lane, it's wide for trucks, busses and rvs. The bridge approach from Hwy 1 will have you in the right lane so you should be good.

Let me know if you have any further questions. It is really not a problem!

Ken
Thanks Ken! Just finished skimming that route on Google Street View. Was wondering about the tunnel on 1 (not the Devil's Slide one, nearer to the bridge). Think we'll do that - I can suffer the traffic lights & we'll be able to see some of the ocean before the city.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:26 AM   #6
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
That tunnel, near the bridge approach isn't a problem, right lane is fine. Just be sure to bear left at the bottom of the hill to the bridge....going right will bring you to the marina district, where Mina said to avoid!!!
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 03:04 PM   #7
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
Walt I have pulled my old unit through SanFrancisco in the middle of the day crossed the bridge heading North and then took the overlook exit to let the girls use the bathroom. I had to go North a bit before I was able to head South and then recross the bridge and continue on to Hearst Castle. I had only planned to go across it heading South but missed a turnoff and got to show the family Oakland and a trip across the Bay Bridge just to get into SanFrancisco. It really was not that bad, not that I plan to do it again but for a one time deal not that bad. It was way easier than taking highway 1 from SanFrancisco which my wife guided me onto instead of 101. That was a big oops.

Tom Marty

Tom Marty
Old 09-22-2015, 04:17 PM   #8
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:

Like I said, we're at Half Moon Bay - that's on the coast, just south of SF. We'd be taking either 1 north from here or I280 up to 1 and the bridge.
Not sure if I should apologize... I realize you are on the coast just south of Canada' and north of Pescadero on Hwy. 1. I was just curious which RV park in HMB (Half Moon Bay) Pelican Park, Half Moon Bay RV park or fortunate enough to get into the State Park there for a few days?

FYI.... Some people do not mind driving thru big cities and some do! Mr. Ken Brenco is definitely one who enjoys the challenge!!! . The HoboBob would not! He took mirrors off our van a few times. But that is another story.

Enjoy your ride. Have the camera ready!!! It is gorgeous and awesome...rolled into one!!!
Old 09-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #9
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
I did it once unintentionally pulling a 5th wheel. No problems, just keep your wits about you and let the crazy Californios do their thing.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:58 PM   #10
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
We're at Half Moon Bay RV Park - nice restaurant, really good staff, but grossly overpriced. Very dusty, dog poo everywhere even though there's pick up bag boxes all over, and no where at all as nice as their website. A dog park about a half mile away, a beach about two miles away with pay parking or you can drive up 1 about five miles to a free one.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:16 PM   #11
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have gone both ways north and south and the drivers in SF are the type that wont budge a bit or let you change lanes, pick your lane and stay there PRE PLAN the route along with your lane. you must be an aggressive lane changer their.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:36 AM   #12
Mynabird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8757
Quote:

We're at Half Moon Bay RV Park - nice restaurant, really good staff, but grossly overpriced. Very dusty, dog poo everywhere even though there's pick up bag boxes all over, and no where at all as nice as their website. A dog park about a half mile away, a beach about two miles away with pay parking or you can drive up 1 about five miles to a free one.
Thank you. I agree about price... I think I remember that your park may be under new ownership and be improved per reviews.

(If you go south to Pescadero...there will be many State Besch parks that are free. There is also a really neat Lighthouse... Pidgeon Point Lighthouse!!! )