Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
pathlestravel
Established Member

M.O.C. #7640
Glacier National Park

We had the best time ever in Yellowstone as well as the Tetons, thanks to our MOC friends help!! BEAUTIFUL COUNTRY !! Thank you everyone !! Now our travels will take us to Glacier starting next week and would like some expert advise on a good campground close to the area . We would like to end up near Kettle Falls WA. area when done. Any information about the area and some good camping would be very greatful ! I also was thinking about pulling the 3400 on 93 to Libby from Whitefish to 2 Bonners ferry then down to Spokane. Then up 395. I don't want to get to ahead of myself. Our goal is to spend three wks or so in the area of Chewelah & Addy as far as Kettle Falls. Thank you for any advice on my route as well as any campgrounds in these areas. Thanks again MOC !

pathlestravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:51 AM   #2
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
My recommendation is to stay in the West Glacier area and travel to the East area without the Montana. Roads are in need of repair going from West to East area. Looked like a major road project in near future which may have started. We stayed at Mountain Meadows in Hungry Horse, great park with very friendly hosts.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:14 AM   #3
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
I agree with Mike as far as staying in West Glacier. It just seems there is more to see and do from there. You still need to go to the east side to see a couple of the lodges and lakes but they are easier to get to w/o the rig. We stayed at the KOA in West Glacier. Certainly pricey but very nice. Big pull through spaces, beautiful setting, and super nice informative people who run it. Not sure what path you will take but if somehow you can spend a few days on the Canadian side of Glacier try to take in Waterton Park. Very nice provincial campground around the lake with tons of wildlife. The Prince of Wales Hotel right next to the campground is well worth the visit. Jim
Old 07-02-2011, 10:54 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
We stayed in the East side KOA (St MAry's KOA?) on our first trip to Glacier NP. Knowing what I know now, next time it's the west side. For a first trip (and possibly only trip) I should have done the west side. Then leave the trailer behind and drive around everywhere. We spent too much time driving back to our campsite right outside the East entrance.

The "Going to the Sun" Road is a wonderful and long drive that is NOT possible when towing because of the skinny two lane road and the very windy turns. Both times we went through it was completely socked with fog, which for my wife was probably a good thing (she hates heights) and we couldn't tell we were up so high except for the altimeter that said so. There is a lot more to see and do on the west side.

I highly recommend you call ahead for a place to stay this time of year. We went late September when most were back in school and work and had an easy time finding something, but summer? Call ahead.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
We stayed on both sides. West has more "civilization", but staying at Johnson campground in St Mary's was very scenic. It is a great site over looking the lake and just a block or two from the east gate. The bus is free and I recommend you take that over driving the Going to The Sun Road. Either side is fun. It just depends on what you want.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #6
kylec2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10688
We just left Glacier NP and stayed at Mountain Meadows RV Park in Hungry Horse...I highly recommend them. if you plan on staying on the east side then I would suggest the KOA in St. Mary's.

The Going To The Sun Road is only open approximately 15 miles from each side, but it is still worth the visit.
kylec2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
pathlestravel
Established Member

M.O.C. #7640
Thanks for everyones help, we made reservations this morning for Mountain Meadows. We are looking forward to it. Also was wondering about the route to Spokane? 93 to 37 towards Libby to Bonner Ferry, then 2/93 down to Spokane, then up 395 to Collville area ? Thanks again everyone for all the great information, MOCs the best !!
Old 07-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #8
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
We went 206/35/82/93/28/135 to I-90 straight into Spokane. It's a picturesque easy pull.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #9
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I personally dislike traveling on interstates unless I absolutely have to. So I would avoid I-90 by using Hwy-200 to Sandpoint and then Hwy-2 towards Spokane. Unless you have a overriding need to visit Spokane, I suggest you avoid it. It is congested and ugly with road surfaces to match. There are numerous routes from Hwy-2 over to Hwy-395 north of Spokane which will save you time and agony. Two that I have used are the connections between Deer Park and Hwy-2 and the connection between Loon Lake and Hwy-2.

Alternatively, take Hwy-20 off of Hwy-2 at Newport. Hwy-20 will go north for a while and then cuts over to Colville. I haven't driven this one but I have a friend in the area that has.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 09:55 AM   #10
pathlestravel
Established Member

M.O.C. #7640
Thank you everyone for all your help and support, Thank you Carl N Susan I sure understand . I try not to use the interstate if I can avoid it, but I sure can get myself into some uncomfortable spots at times !! And boy do I here about it . But I can say they have been some of the best adventures . Again thank you all and have a wonderful 4th !!
Old 07-04-2011, 07:14 PM   #11
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quoteathlestravel Posted - Jul 01 2011 : 11:03:35 PM
... We would like to end up near Kettle Falls WA. area when done. Any information about the area and some good camping would be very greatful ! I also was thinking about pulling the 3400 on 93 to Libby from Whitefish to 2 Bonners Ferry then down to Spokane. Then up 395. I don't want to get to ahead of myself. Our goal is to spend three wks or so in the area of Chewelah & Addy as far as Kettle Falls. Thank you for any advice on my route as well as any campgrounds in these areas. Thanks again MOC !
Our Lilac City Sams Club is going to Glacier NP 2nd week of August. We are staying on the westside at Blue Spruce on the River RV Park in Kalispell, MT.

As far as Chewelah - Kettle Falls area, we are going to Panorama RV Park in Kettle Falls 7/26 to 7/29 with some friends. It is a Passport America / Camp Club USA park.($12 a night) Lake Roosevelt (Columbia River) is nearby. It supplies water for Coulee Dam.

I'm embarrassed to say (because I live here), but I have to agree with Carl, don't come into Spokane unless you have reason to. There are some roads that are pretty bad with potholes. I would recommend that as you come south from Newport, WA, go to the town of Riverside. At the red light, turn right onto the Deer Park-Milan Rd. It is about 8-10 miles on a descent road over to 395. As you pass Deer Park Airport, there is a very good RV Park - Spokane RV Resort & Golf on your right.

If you need more info, don't hesitate to ask.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also stayed at Mountain Meadow in Hungry Horse, for a monhth, back in 2005. In fact, we met five other MOC couples there in our month, each for the first time. We've stayed good friends with four of those couples.

We also prefer to avoid sterile interstates in favor of US and state highways.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote