Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2010, 02:50 PM   #1
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Hiway 99 or I-5

We will be heading to southern Cal. soon & wonder if I should go down 5 or 99. I know how bad 5 is but I haven't been on 99 in years. Any recent experience out there? Thanks for sharing......Dave

dandt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I have traveled both in the last year from about Lodi south and to me it is a toss up. I-5 through Stockton is a little rough for a few miles but the rest is OK. So IMHO, just toss a coin unless you have a preference. One other thing, I only go as far south as Bakersfield and then west on 58.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Dandt,
We normally travel I-5 but every now and then we decide to try 99 again. Invariably we quickly remember why we prefer to take 5. The traffic on 99 is almost always much heavier and the on/off ramps are always a hassle. The roadway on 99 is about the same quality as I-5. If anything 5 is probably a little better. They have done a lot of work on it.

Whichever way you travel have a safe journey.
Hamrad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Rich is correct in what he wrote. I dislike Hwy-99 because of the numerous on/off ramps constantly affect the right lane where I travel and all the sunken grade crossing which mess with the cruise control.

I take I-5 exclusively and just tough it out through the miserable pavement in the Stockton area. I do switch over to Hwy-99 at Lost Hills (Hwy-46). I have found it to be a better route (less traffic) than Hwy-58. I do this so I can take Hwy-58 east into the desert rather than the I-5 Grapevine.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I-5 is definitely in some need of some work but they do work on it in sections. 99 in the bigger towns does have more lanes to help get around the slower traffic, however there are many more on/off ramps to contend with all the way through.

If just traveling through I take I-5 between Sacramento and the Grapevine (99 goes away at these points). I only use 99 when I need to go East from the San Joaquin Valley (Yosemite, Sequoia, etc.) or to visit friends and relatives who live in these areas.

There are many more RV service and parts stores off 99 versus I-5 which mostly just has fuel and food. I-5 is much more easy on and off for their fuel/food services.

I also take 46 or 58 to bypass LA/Orange county traffic. But if there's something specific you need to visit in LA or Orange Counties you won't have any choice but to continue on I-5. Use can use I-210 inside LA county to get around lots of bad places.

Maybe you should add where you are going so we can cover routes to avoid and the best routes depending on the time of day you travel through there since it WILL make a HUGE difference. Your patience through these areas will definitely be tested. But be calm, be very very calm.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:02 AM   #6
dandt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7142
Thanks Everyone...it sounds like we all head the same way...H-58 thru 4 corners and then to where ever the sun is for the winter. Teresa
dandt is offline   Reply With Quote