Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 06-29-2004, 08:32 AM   #1
edwardsb
Established Member

M.O.C. #1716
Black Streaks

We have recently purchased a 2004 Model 2980.

Does anyone have a suggestion to reduce or eliminate the black streaks caused by the roof drains on the sides near the front of the unit?

Is there any type of an extension which can be placed on the existing drains to direct the water from the roof farther away from the sides?

Thanks,

edwardsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:00 AM   #2
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
I use plastic clothes pins clipped to the spout on my gutter. This helps a lot to send the water out and away from the sides.

For removing black streaks I use a product called "Reliable". It does the job. It is mostly sold at RV shows but I bought my off their website. I did a search on Google for reliable black streak remover and the site came up.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:15 AM   #3
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We use the plastice clip clothespins on our gutter ends also. This and keeping a good coat of wax on the unit and washing frequently seems to be the the only answer to the dreaded black streaks. You would think an RV manufacturer would come up with a solution to this problem as it is so common with all units and has existed every since they started making RVs.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 09:43 AM   #4
sectres
Established Member

M.O.C. #1643
You can also use a piece of small pvc water pipe cut in half. Glue it on with plumbers cement.
sectres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:14 AM   #5
vickster
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1165
Ah, the dreaded black streaks! We have only been using a good wax and frequent washing to remove them.

So, does the clothes pin trick reduce the black streaks, or just get the water away from the slideout??
vickster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:20 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ah, yes, the infamous black streaks. When I saw the clothespins Faeb and Geneb have on their Montana, I went out and got some for ours. I got white ones that blend in with the surroundings. In about 8000 miles we've lost only two of them while on the road. We have them on all four corners. Both of those we lost were because I bumped them when washing the Montana and didn't reseat them properly. Let me tell you, it's tough finding white ones, though. Usually there are a few in a bag of mixed colors. Next time I see clothes hanging on a clothesline I think I'm going to ask if I can trade some colored pins for their white ones. Seriously.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 10:35 AM   #7
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle
... Let me tell you, it's tough finding white ones, though. Usually there are a few in a bag of mixed colors. Next time I see clothes hanging on a clothesline I think I'm going to ask if I can trade some colored pins for their white ones ...
Steve,

I'd think clear plastic ones would blend in even better! Are your white ones wood or plastic?

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 01:24 PM   #8
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
ditto on clothes pins...and go to walmart and buy some full timers choice black streak remover.I don't know whats in it , but it works great! costs about $5.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 03:45 PM   #9
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Craig they are plastic. The wooden ones work, but don't look as good.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2004, 05:23 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, mine are plastic, too. And they truly work wonders on eliminating black streaks from those drains. I am indebted to Fae and Gene on this one. Saved me lots of work.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:04 AM   #11
Montana_70
Montana Master

M.O.C. #70
Steve,

I have thought the same thing about trading up to white. Especially if I spy the older white ones, which are a bit larger than the new ones.

I will say that if have found a lot of uses for the colored ones. They are very handy closing bags that don't reseal themselves. Also clipping sorted mail together that I keep in a basket. A red pin means tend to right away.
Montana_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 02:41 AM   #12
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
We also use some of them to close bags, But not as many as we have. Last time I bought some they seem to be more white than before.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2004, 07:30 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
BJ, you are so organized! For me, things to tend to right away just go on top of the pile. That works until either something else covered up the pile or the pile was there so long I just look past it (Usually Vicki keeps this from happening, though.)