Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Navigation
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2007, 06:28 AM   #1
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Laptop w/GPS vs commercial GPS units

I'm just curious as to Forum member's views re the survivability of laptops while being used during driving. I always felt that all that "bouncin' and jouncin'" would cause damage and very premature failure of the hard drive. Just my opinion.

That issue, along with the viewing problems, the lack of a suitable "desktop" on which to use them and the need to either partially block the driver's view or require the passenger to contort around to use the laptop led us to get a GPS designed for the propose. From his recent post in this Section, I note that Steve R. appears to have done the same thing.

We use the laptop for lots of things, most of them far more critical to us than GPS navigation while driving. Damaging it would cause great inconvenience, so we treat it as gently as we can. It rides in a padded bag on top of padding in the back seat while we travel. So far, so good. And, we really like the convenience and ease of operation "on the road" of the Garmin GPS. We do all our trip planning on the laptop, actual navigation via the Garmin.

Just looking for the experience base of the Forum Members....what say you??

patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Just my experience with MY computer, which has a known weakness in the hinges. I worry a LOT more about my hinges than I do about the hard drive. Sometimes we use BOTH the computer and Garmin at the same time. Fun to discover that with the computer (Microsoft Streets & Trips) that I was 40 foot under water, when in fact, we were 10 foot above sea level. So, to answer part of your question, maybe I should be worried about the hard drive, but, I am not, Al would be screaming and yelling if that were a perceived problem.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 07:57 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've been using our laptop for 6+ years of full timing. We have yet to lose a hard drive. Most of these laptops are pretty well built and will stand a lot of abuse. However, we don't feel that ours is being abused at all. My wife travels with the laptop on, what else, her lap. Our first laptop, a Compaq, had the hinges broken. But other than that we've had no problems with subsequent laptops.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
We have an actual "laptop tray/mount" in our TV, just slightly off to the left of the "nagivator's" (that's me, ) seat. There's really not a lot of bouncing around, at least no more than it would get sitting on a seat or in the trailer. We can't say for the long term that it won't do any damage, but we truly do not expect it to be a problem. Sue and Verle Castle
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Nope never a problem. Been using the laptop in the truck for a long time..Sometimes on the center console(Ford) sometimes on a PC stand that can be purchased or built.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
We have the Garmin 2720 - set our iteneray onthe laptop and download to the garmin. I have a Dell laptop and often am online going down the road - no problem. Love it. Of course David is driving, not me.

Jo-Anna

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 08:22 PM   #7
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
PJ, I have a Pioneer Z1 in-dash in the TV. It has a 7" screen that is easy to read or listen to. IMHO, a laptop is to big and cumbersome for a pickup frontseat area. If I had one, I'd have it mounted in the console or a laptop stand. I do my trip planning on MS Streets & Trips and then have to program my Z1. Works for me. If I didn't have the Z1, I have the biggest screen I could get.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:25 AM   #8
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I have a laptop mount to hold it in position.but the unit is hard to see because you have to look right. Bounce and sunlight are a factor. I am thinking about a garmin or tomtom. At the present I use my two legged, passenger seat mounted, easy to hear and better looking gps, with an excellent road atlas from Sams Club. "THE WIFE".
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 04:13 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Everything is a compromise. The lap top is of course larger than the integrated models and even if it is bolted to the dash there is still a bounce.The LT has multi uses. GPS,With the aircard a internet connection and relieves boredom, games, etc while driving down the road. The volume (the voice) is very loud and can be heard by the driver with ease. It should be noted that the driver never looks at the PC screen. Whoever is driving can hear it but never diverts from driving by looking or inputing. The right seater is responsible for all navigation and inputing. The PC screen is turned away from the driver. The driver being able to see the GPS screen while driving was a negative. We have used both and both do the job well. We found it easier to input with the PC. Attempting to use the GPS and drive to me is the same as talking on the cell phone and driving... Just my opinion. Perhaps we are just to safety oriented.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:48 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
PJ, we used a laptop with gps in the truck for just short of four years of our fulltiming. Mine was velcro'd to a board that was strapped to the console lid. No special padding, in other words. It was never the worse for wear. The movement is really no worse than moving it onto and off of my lap, sitting it down on the floor, etc. I really don't think it's a worry.

I liked the laptop approach pretty well, especially since I already owned the laptop. That made it a more economical approach. However, the Garmin I have now sits directly in front of me on the dash and I find I really like being able to take a quick glance at the details of the upcoming turn without taking both eyes off the road.

The truck has a builtin nav system on the dash. It's quicker to find and see than was my laptop but still requires some movement of the eyes away from the road. Plus, I'm having a devil of a time finding the poi I want on the builtin. It's sweet once it finds it but I find my portable Garmin far superior in many ways.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:48 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
That is a interesting observation Steve. We were discussing the pro's and con's of a integrated GPS should we get another truck.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
I bought a Garmin c330 as a back up system to the laptop with streets & Trips.
It only seems to pick up the satellites if I mount it on the left side of the drivers windshield.
If I mount it near or under the rear view mirror or on right side of the windshield it doesn't work very well.
I think the electronics in the rear view mirror must interfere with the GPS in the Garmin.
The wiring from the mirror run to the right side of the truck.
It doesn't seem to bother the receiver for streets & Trips.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 02:06 PM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
You don't have the windshield with the radio antenna embedded in the windshield, do you? I've heard those can interfere with satellite receptivity.

Sometimes when we approach our destination, like a walmart, I'll reach up and set Mary (Garmin 2720) on the floor next to the driver's seat. And it always amazes me that she mantains the satellite connections enough to continue telling me the turns. And is ready to go again when we get done in the store. So I know yours ought to do a lot better than it is.
Old 06-24-2007, 06:57 AM   #14
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Three advantages I've found for the "portable" vs a "built in" GPS. First, you can place the portable on the dash at roughly eye level and the absolute best place for an instantaneous glance to check next turn direction or distance to go to the turn. More difficult viewing with the "built in". Got to look "down" somewhat. Sort of a safety issue in my mind. Second, we've taken the Garmin with us on a couple of "vacation from vacation" trips and used it in our rental car..also when the TV is down for whatever maintenance. Last, it is very simple to update the software and after a year or so, the data base. In the same context, you can do the route planning in the comfort of the rig and take it to the TV, programmed, when it is trip day.

Think I'll stay with the portable when the next vehicle buying opportunity comes along..
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 05:01 PM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

That is a interesting observation Steve. We were discussing the pro's and con's of a integrated GPS should we get another truck.
It works pretty well once I find the location I want to get to. It's functionality is similar to many portable units, albeit decent ones.

However, my Garmin 2720 has so much more functionality and convenience features that I'll stay with it. For example, I can save up to something like 50 different routes right in the GPS. Not just the current one. I can have up to 2500+ waypoints in the gps at any one time. Best of all, I can use the included mapping software on my laptop, as I was doing earlier tonight for our upcoming New England trip, and when it's done I just plug in the Garmin to the laptop via a usb port and upload routes and/or waypoints.

The Garmin has touch screen. The builtin does not. On the builtin I have to turn knobs, push buttons, and/or operate a joystick and push buttons. It would be much easier to use if it were touchscreen. My Garmin is touchscreen but also has some buttons for quick aqcess. For example, to plot a route to home, just push the Find button twice. To hear the next instruction and see details of a turn well in advance of when it gives you that automatically, push the Speak button. Also there's a Menu button and a Map button (shortcut to return you to the map).

I do, however, like the builtin in the sense that the large screen is used for am/fm, cd player (6 cd changer), and satellite (sirius) radio. And it shows the song name and who sings it. It looks nice but I'd not order the nav system in a new truck. My garmin was less than 1/3 the cost.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:16 PM   #16
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
I use MS Streets & Trips on the laptop with the velco & plexilass/pipe stand mounted to the floor going on 2 years and not a problem for hinges or drive. It works for me since I already had the laptop. My navigator takes care of all of the control functions. Works for us.

Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 04:25 PM   #17
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jsrang

I use MS Streets & Trips on the laptop with the velco & plexilass/pipe stand mounted to the floor going on 2 years and not a problem for hinges or drive. It works for me since I already had the laptop. My navigator takes care of all of the control functions. Works for us.

Jim
Jim,

Do you have photos of that set up? I bought one of those on Ebay last year (or at least I think it's the same thing) and Dick has yet to install it. Since you have basically the same truck and have been using it for this long, I figure however you did it must work great. He is hesitant to put holes in the truck.

I am the navigator so I would love to get it installed.

Thanks a bunch,
Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:16 AM   #18
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Patty,
I purchased the mount from www.mobilelaptopmount.com. Click on the site and peruse through the pics of multiple installations. It is quite informational and entertaining. (I found the site through an earlier thread about 2 years ago). I bolted the flange to the passenger seat left front bracket. Basically I removed one bolt, set the flange in place, and put the bolt through the flange and tightened through the bracket. Requires no drilling into the floor which was a plus. It was such a nice tight fit that I never had to install a 2nd bolt which I had initially planned to do. (It doesn't move one iota!). The pipe assembly is as follows from floor to plex top; 1/2" flange, 11/2" nipple, 45 lbow, 6" pipe, 45 lbow, 3" pipe, 45 lbow, 10" pipe, 45" elbow, and 1" nipple that the plex/flange spins onto. The pipe is all 1/2" standard plumbing pipe. I had to swap out a couple extra pipe lengths/lbows to get the proper plex plate location. Needed only 1 trip to ACE hardware! (On any project like this, normally it requires at least 3 trips to be successful - lol). I also used the teflon tape on the fittings that allows for easy minor adjustments to get the laptop exactly where you want it. Also, mounting off the seat bracket, requires the passenger seat to be in the full back position. (Marilyn doesn't mind at all). Sometimes there is minor laptop bounce (especially on I-10 in MS & LA), but this is due only to the length (heighth) of pipe used. The bounce has never been a problem. The bottom flange remains rock solid tight as do all of the fittings. Hope this helps.

Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 09:09 AM   #19
Dave Nowlin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7253
I like the TOM TOM 910. It has a further advantage in that you can make phone calls through it hands free. There are way to many people on the road holding a cell phone with one hand while they drive with the other. The TOm TOM can be linked with the computer if you like while in the fiver.
Dave Nowlin
Dave Nowlin is offline   Reply With Quote