Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2008, 12:07 AM   #1
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Water leak - livingroom slide

While in camp I had some boxes of papers stacked behnd our kitchen table in our 2005 2980RL. Just as we were ready to close up my wife noticed the boxes and contents were soaking wet. We did have some heavy rains and I did drain the galley at that time. I cannot determine where the water could have originated! Has anyone had a water leak in this area of their unit?

When I drained the tanks, which were really full, I noticed that the galley water did not gush out as did the other tanks. I have looked underneath the slide and can't see how the tank drain could have any impact on the floor of the slide, which was out at the time.

The roof also was replaced two months ago, but I have not noticed any water prior to this incident.

For sure, I will not let the tanks get that full again.

Any suggestions as to where to start looking?

dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 03:18 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I guess I always start with what was recently changed - the roof - as everything I do usually leads back to that.

Historically, there has been two problems with the slide:

1) The roof sags a little and water pools on the roof and runs under the black slide seal, along the inside trim, and down the two inside corners. Sometimes it drips down along the upper trim.

2) The white tape along the outside edge of the slide lifts or is torn, allowing water to get under the tape and migrate down the wall onto the carpet, or sometimes down into the cabinets.

I don't have any good answer for the gray tank. Ours has always drained slow, but we have different models altogether.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
dcowie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3207
Good suggestions Brad. We are in for more rain today so I should have a chance to check out the possibilities.
Thanks for the feed back.

Doug
dcowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:26 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Not sure if this could be the case with your galley tank or not. When we first got our Monty we evidently overfilled the galley tank. At least some water came from somewhere when we went to move. It came pouring from the underbelly once we started moving. I was told that if these tanks are overfilled they may leak above the tank spilling water out into the belly of the camper. I would however expect everything to be tight in the plumbing but evidently depending on how it’s constructed that possibility may exist. This could and I mention that it’s only a possibility that if the galley tank was overfilled maybe it leaked and migrated near to where you had the water showing itself. I’m more prone to think it came from the slide area and the hard rain.

As far as the galley tank I always leave the drain open on it and close a drain at the end of the line just before where I connect the sewer hose. I haven’t allowed the tanks to overfill since then and haven’t had any more problems. I suppose you could watch real close and after the next hard rain you may know for certain which it was.