Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2008, 12:47 PM   #1
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Question on Gen Prep Wiring

Our recently purchased Big Sky came equipped with the gen prep package in the front compartment. I originally thought that the pedestal 50A AC line came from the rear hookup, thru this junction box and was then routed to the breaker panel in the camper. My intention was to install a Surge Guard at this point rather than try and tap in somewhere at the back of the camper behind the fiberglass cap.

However, when I opened the junction box to start the tie in, all of the wiring at this point appears to be 12 Ga instead of the expected 8 Ga for 50A service. Did I assume incorrectly that this is a full current point or do I just not understand how a gen prep package is wired?

Any help or advise will be appreciated.

MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This link discusses my surge guard installation.
If you have not purchased one yet get a surge protector that has the remote monitor. Mine does not. Also I would install mine in close to the input for the circuit breaker panel if I was doing it again and had the remote to mount next to the circuit breaker panel. Just a thought.
Hope this helps. Please ask more questions if it does not.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Mike,
Stongly consider an EMS instead of a surge guard device. The one I installed (I thnk H. John kinda likes it!!) has a remote monitoring device and also under and over current protection that cycles off on low and high voltage situations and automatically (after a user selected interval to protect A/C) returns power to the rig when the current goes back to normal ranges. Here is a link to the one I installed and a discussion also

Please use the "short form" to post long links. Thank you. RVWheels

http://montanaadministrator.forumco.com/
topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29090&SearchTerms=
autoformer
actually here is the unit link:
http://www.tweetys.com/index.asp?Pag...OD&ProdID=6779
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2008, 04:57 PM   #4
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
John - I already have the same unit you have and am planning on installing it in roughly the same spot (I don't have a generator installed). My only concern before proceeding with the install is the wire size coming from what I assume to be the rear pedestal hookup. I'm quite certain mine is 12 Ga, whereas yours appears to be 8 Ga as it should be for 50A service (the center connection on your changeover switch?).

Bingo - If I didn't already have my SurgeGuard I would go for the one you suggested. Maybe if this one eventually craps out....

I'm still concerned about my wire size if you guys have any thoughts.
Old 07-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Mike, If you have 12 ga. wire, is yellow, or 10 ga. it is orange. The generator wire prep in mine is 10 ga.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:14 AM   #6
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Mike,
Your wire gauge is not only based upon the maximum amperage load that will be conducted but also the length of run. The bottom table on this page:
http://www.rbeelectronics.com/wtable.htm
should clarify everything for you. A short run can be 12 gauge. A longer run can require 8 or even 6 gauge. Hope this helps,
Bingo
Old 07-09-2008, 05:52 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I think that chart is only for DC Bingo. Typically wire resistance on AC is negligable.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:17 AM   #8
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Brad is correct, I goofed. Here is another table that I believe is the correct one:
http://www.planetchristmas.com/WireSize.htm
If it doesn't help with your rig wiring, at least you will know what size extension cord to use with your Christmas Light display. I wonder if I can find a 1 guage extension cord. Ha Ha!!
Bingo
Old 07-10-2008, 04:08 PM   #9
MikeM
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6892
Thanks for all the help guys! I think nailbender resolved my concern - my wiring is orange so it's 10 GA. Now to get the job done....