Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #1
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Touch-up paint for these rigs...

Is touch-up paint available? I had a close encounter with my lawn mower handle and put a small, pinky fingernail sized scuff that I want to cover. It's white, but not pure white, so I would have no idea what shade to get if there is no touch-up paint available. Thank you.

Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Try some car wax first.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
hunts800
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11457
In my area there is a company called "auto industrial paint" . They have a machine which they put up against the trailer and it allows them to make up touch-up paint, either in a small jar or a spray can. I had.a small jar made up to match the painted front cap, and it matched perfectly on a very small scratch from a tree branch. Presume there are similar outfits in other cities.

Keystone told me they have no touch up paint available.
Old 09-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Touch up paint is a sore point with me. we have a full body paint 13 Big Sky and two of the four colors are no longer used by keystone. I got chips and no touch up paint. we have talked to all concerned including Keystone with no luck. We have also E mailed the proper folks in the Keystone/Montana chain. So far nothing . Keystone has got to support the paint. we will pursue at the fall rally.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:41 PM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If you do not have full body paint, then you have either gelcoat or fiberglass if it is the cap area. For the full body paint rigs, there should be paint available, whether from Keystone or an alternative source. If you have scratched the gel-coat or fiberglass then there are repair methods that do not include paint. If you would add your rig details to your profile signature, some of these questions could be better answered.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
Mark N.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13862
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

...If you would add your rig details to your profile signature, some of these questions could be better answered.
Bingo
Good advice Bingo. I added a bit to my profile. Thanks everyone for the input on the paint.
To clarify, the scratch is down at the bottom rear of the trailer, and it goes right to the aluminum. No buffing it out.
Mark N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 04:10 AM   #7
The Oldguard
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2625
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Touch up paint is a sore point with me. we have a full body paint 13 Big Sky and two of the four colors are no longer used by keystone. I got chips and no touch up paint. we have talked to all concerned including Keystone with no luck. We have also E mailed the proper folks in the Keystone/Montana chain. So far nothing . Keystone has got to support the paint. we will pursue at the fall rally.
richfaa, here is the link for the Touch up paint
The Oldguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 05:19 AM   #8
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Upon purchase of our 2013 BS 3582 in April 2013, I received a 3x5 card with the following info:

Custom Paint by
Herr Custom Paint
Maple City Collision
2456 E. Kercher Rd
Goshen In 46526
(574)534-1784

Included on this card are the named colors (4 of them) and paint code numbers.

We have the Black and Grey model and of course there is the Black and Tan Big Sky.

I called my local Sherwin-Williams Auto Paint store and discussed this with them and they can fully provide the 4 colors needed for touch up. They sell it in smallest size of 1/2 pint for about $12-15 per color. The S-W Auto Paint store indicated that coding of paints for touch up can have different names but the code numbers are the key. They use BASF paints, S-W paints, Limco, R-M Diamont paints but coding is the key.

Whether you use Sherwin-Williams Auto store or a local collision/paint company you should be able to match the 4 colors or as hunts800 said on this thread take the rig to a local collision or auto paint company and have them scan for your 4 colors.

I suggest you do a google search for Sherwin-Williams Automotive Finishes Store in the SLC/Ogden area and you will find numerous locations you can call and ask for assistance/advice and opportunity to purchase locally.The codes have been provided you as a link in this thread that can get you started. Good Luck.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 09:17 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Meanwhile My SW paint store in my Hometown said they could not mix the paint.. I will re visit them with the information provided. 12 to 15 $4 for a half pint is not bad....but.....IMO keystone should be
supporting the paint.

Meanwhile I do not get it. I have chips front panel had over 100 chips >I have chips everywhere.

. I have been making copies these post

indicating few of no chipping as documentation to justify that I have a defective paint job on my Big Sky.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dennis you post filled in the missing facts on the paint. You identified the SW store as a "Sherwin Williams Auto Paint store" There are two different kinds of SW paint stores one as in house paint and another as in Auto Paint store.... I did not have that information. My local store is a regular paint store they can not mix auto paint.

My paint codes are H-1255 H-1505 H-1520 H-138. Keystone no longer uses the H-1255 and the H-1505.. There is a hitch those codes are for a flat finish. The clear coat is applied over the paint at maple city paint. Applying a flat touch up to a clear coat finish is not a good match. We do have a SW auto paint store not far from home and we will pay them a visit soon and see if we can get those codes in High Gloss finish.

A post from oldguard above provides the SW paint codes.
Old 09-12-2014, 10:38 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by The Oldguard

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

richfaa, here is the link for the Touch up paint
That fills in the missing information as it gives the SW paint codes.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:16 PM   #12
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Paint codes are changing with model changes Rich and it is my belief while they may not use your codes or some of them anymore, you can still get that paint made up.I also believe Keystone nor Maple city should not have to provide paint to me other than the samples I got when I bought the rig. After that use I don't believe they're obligated. JMHO.. You don't get freebies for car touch up after your bottle is all used up do you?

We are rapping up a 13000+ miles trip and have few chips. If you have over 100 I would consider trying to have it repainted where the population of chips are?? Just a thought. Touch up paint after 100 cover-ups could look worse than leaving it alone.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 03:44 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We did have the front overhang done with a Rhino Coat type protective coating. We do not have to have our auto/truck touch paint mixed for us as it is available everywhere. This thread provided the information on how to get the paint for our Big Sky but it was collected by the members not the manufacturer. Keystone should be responsible for providing us the information on were to get the touch up paint or secure a vendor that can provide it.

keystone will provide decals if they have them and there are vendors where we can purchase the decals. For the full body paint there is no support of any kind from Keystone. We have two colors on our 13 Big Sky that are no longer used and the only way I can get touch paint is to go out and have it mixed myself. Don't do that with the car or truck.

The touch up on the chips on my front overhang looked really bad as the paint provided by Maple City was a flat color and the paint has a clear coat applied.
Flat touch on a clear coat finish does not match and the clear coat touch paint also is a poor match.....Give it a try..

BTW. When I need touch paint for the Ford or the Honda we go to the dealer and they have it in stock. The manufacturer supports the touch paint.