Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2009, 09:00 AM   #21
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
As an afterthought that won't help anyone that owns a Montana right now, we could always bring this issue up with Keystone to see if they can come up with something built-in the 5th wheels to keep these type of generators safer while they are being used. An outside beefed up locking compartment (with ventilation and maybe an alarm) as so many people use the Honda and Kipor 2000 that it could be an awesome selling point for some. Maybe even be able to fit a 3000 or 3500 in it?

Keystone has responded in the past to our suggestions and ideas... they might be able to take this idea and run with it.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #22
rphoward
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4471
A couple of years ago we had our Honda generator stolen in Qsite. We had what we thought was a theft-proof chain and had not followed our usual routine of bringing it inside the rig when we weren't in camp. The Qsite PD indicated that rigs were not being broken into, but anything left outside was fair game. So while Honda is outside it is secured to the rig when we are home and taken inside the rig when we leave.

We were also told to engrave the serial number on the generator as Honda merely places a paper on the generator with the serial number on it.
rphoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #23
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by D and M On The Road

As an afterthought that won't help anyone that owns a Montana right now, we could always bring this issue up with Keystone to see if they can come up with something built-in the 5th wheels to keep these type of generators safer while they are being used. An outside beefed up locking compartment (with ventilation and maybe an alarm) as so many people use the Honda and Kipor 2000 that it could be an awesome selling point for some. Maybe even be able to fit a 3000 or 3500 in it?

Keystone has responded in the past to our suggestions and ideas... they might be able to take this idea and run with it.
Ours has such a compartment. I think Keystone calls it "generator prep" g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 02:30 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don..Our Rv is covered under our homeowners policy by Frankenmuth.We have had that policy for several years (20 I think). They may not offer that deductable now..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 03:24 PM   #25
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
So this is what we will be seeing as we start out this year to explore our great country!? Pretty sad state of affairs.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #26
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Regarding the insurance brought up on this post..FYI

Most homeowners policies in a great number of states are 'experience rated' meaning if you have a loss, you are going to pay more than someone who doesn't have any claims. For the most part, it now works like auto insurance. In some states, the regulators require the insurance companies to rate this way.

A $1,000 or higher deductible can save hundreds of dollars each year in premium so it normally is well worth it not to have a smaller deductible.

I am not trying to defend this practice, it just the way it is!

There is a better way however......

I have recomended before in previous posts that you insure these items with an RV policy. The advantage in doing so is:

You can purchase a $500 deductible at a reasonable rate
You can purchase the amount of personal property that you need at replacement cost
You can purchase a disappearing deductible that goes down every year you are claim free until there is no deductible. (Usually 5 years).
Claims are not experienced rated
They do not affect your homeowners policies or rates

This in my opinion is a better choice.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:27 PM   #27
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I'm Sorry if I took the OP a different direction, lets get back to the HONDA generator and the great ideas on securing them.
Old 03-30-2009, 02:20 AM   #28
Navigator
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1894
Thanks to all of you we now have several ideas for securing the new generators. None of them will be fool proof but we're hoping that when combined they will slow down the thieves and discourage them enough that they will decide it's not worth the effort.

Our insurance matter is another issue. The contents of our Monty is covered under our homeowners policy with a $1000 deductible. After we found out that it didn't pay to make a claim we started to shop around for another insurance company. Unfortunately, we live in a high fire area of San Diego County and have been evacuated twice during the last several years because of wildfires that burned up to our property line. We found out that insurance companies won't insure us because of that. So we'll have to keep the one we have and hope they don't find a way to drop us!!

The next best option is a separate RV policy that covers the Monty plus it's contents. The policy we have now is similar to an auto policy.

Has anyone heard of a good sale on Honda generators????

Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:53 AM   #29
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Mayberry's and Wise usually have the best prices in the country and will ship to your door. Mayberrys.com and Wisesales.com if you are interested.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:11 AM   #30
D and M On The Road
Montana Master

M.O.C. #49
Navigator.... check craigslist.... you can probably buy your old generator back at half-price.

D and M On The Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:58 AM   #31
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Recently, I saw a Honda generator that had a metal plate screwed to the 4 bottom feet with a hinge with an additional plate that you could drive onto. This looked very secure. You didn't have to use the handle to secure it.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 04:50 PM   #32
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
That's a novel idea Robbie, that might foil the thieves for a little while
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 06:20 PM   #33
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 8.1al

That's a novel idea Robbie, that might foil the thieves for a little while
Yes, a very little while!

Let's see, ....hmmm, how long do you think it will take for somebody to figure out how to defeat this one? ....DING! It took me about 30 seconds.

Stack pieces of 2x6's to within 1/2" of the axle whose tire is sitting on the plate (closer would be better), let the air out of the tire (if I was an evil thief, slash tire), pull plate out from under flat tire (maybe a squirt of WD-40 to help it slide from under the tire), and run off with generator with "security" plate still attached.

or,

Small bottle jack with a piece of 1/4" rubber on the top to prevent a metal to metal clank against the axle (so you don't wake up the sleeping dog inside the trailer), use the nearly silent hydraulic jack to raise the tire just off of the plate, move generator, lower jack, skee-daddle with the goods.

I don't think it is a good solution by itself. Combined with something else, it might help slow them down a bit, or make them decide to take your neighbors generator instead.

I'm still looking for a good, practical solution, but so far haven't found one that I like.
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:42 AM   #34
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
KTManiac,

We need a genius to step in here and out think the thieves; I'm sure looking forward to your solution.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:32 AM   #35
Navigator
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1894

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

KTManiac,

We need a genius to step in here and out think the thieves; I'm sure looking forward to your solution.

My thought would be to lower the front trailer jacks onto the plate that's attached to the generators. Once the truck is disconnected it'll take a lot of time and effort to remove them. And it would draw a lot of attention especially if an alarm is going off!

Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:17 AM   #36
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
My dad told me a long time ago "locks are for honest people". He also said "Out of site out of mind". In other words put your Honda's in a bed toolbox, in the back seat of truck covered up with tarp, in the camper not running of course and lastly chained up and covered up again not running. Honda generators have that sign on them that says "STEAL ME".
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 10:29 AM   #37
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

As a buddy of mine used to say, "You ain't never lied!"

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote