Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
Richard Bruno
Established Member

M.O.C. #7480
Shaking

I've tried the tripod stabilizer under the pin and a pair of stabilizers under the slide in our 2007 3000RK but it still shakes when one of us is walking inside or worse when climbing the steps. I find the trailer movement slightly annoying but it really bothers my wife.

I saw an advetisement in Trailer Life for a set of permanently installed stabilizers so I looked into their website (www.steadyfast.com) and saw what looked like a better way than what I've already tried.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience using the Steadyfast system or any other method and what success you've had in minimizing the movement.

Richard Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
I installed the JT Strongarm stabilizers, and couldn't be happier with them!

They were a bit of work to get installed, but it's a one-time deal, so make sure that if you do it yourself, you commit an entire day, and plan on doing it right.

They make a world of difference in my rig!
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #3
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
I heard a rumor that the JT system may either become an option or installed on all Montana/Big Sky's in the future. Production quantities capabilities by JT is the main problem.

Alan & Kathy
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
garyka
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3662
I went with the JT stabilizers and it made a big difference
garyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:20 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ditto with the JT's. I think they were the originals and all others are knockoffs, not to say they are better, just the originals. I won't have another 5th wheel without them. A NOTE: They do NOT take all the movement out as you are sitting on air (tires), but about 90% with some depending on weight of occupants.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We had JT's installed and wouldn't be without them the take 90% of the movement out of the 5th wheel. Tried the tripod sold it after the first weekend and had the JT's installed.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:47 PM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
JTs here - sold the tripod on Craigslist.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We have also heard that the chocks that apply between the wheels work well. A combination of the JT Stabilizers and the Chock n Lock or similar is supposed to take out a good portion of the bounce.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
JT's were our choice also and they were great.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:35 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Another vote here for the JTs. I installed them myself with a little help from the guys here. Someone (can't remember who) posted some great pictures. Especially helpful for the cross member on the back.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:49 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use a combanation of things when set up for a long time.. bal wheel chocks, King Pin stablizer(because we had one, would not buy one if we did not have one)and most recent the JT stablizers(the most effective)It is important to follow the instructions on set up for the J.T's. These campers are on a suspension system as as long as the wheels are on the ground there will be some movement.I would go along with Phil and say 90% of the "shake" is eliminated.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Richard Bruno

I've tried the tripod stabilizer under the pin and a pair of stabilizers under the slide in our 2007 3000RK but it still shakes when one of us is walking inside or worse when climbing the steps. I find the trailer movement slightly annoying but it really bothers my wife.

I saw an advetisement in Trailer Life for a set of permanently installed stabilizers so I looked into their website (www.steadyfast.com) and saw what looked like a better way than what I've already tried.

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience using the Steadyfast system or any other method and what success you've had in minimizing the movement.
I know there are many who just can't stand the little bit of "jiggling" that occurs sometimes in these rigs. I've found that short of buying the JT's or those you mentioned, the best thing to keep the rig from bouncing is to make sure the wheels are chocked well. By that I mean use wheel chocks that fit between the narrowest gap between the wheels. Chocks on the ground are just blocks and will only keep the trailer from rolling.

We use the Roto-Choks because they grip the rubber of the tires very well. We had used the metal kind from Camping World but the metal against rubber never was a great grip and you could observe the wheel movement when someone walked inside the rig. With the Roto-Choks, that doesn't occur.

We also tried a tripod in front but that was never satisfactory for us either. What I found to be the best for us was to set up, get the front end up to where the rig was nearly level, then crank down the rear stabilizers. When that's done, just slightly raise the front end to put just a little pressure on the rear stabilizers. This has worked for us for over eight years of full timing.

Now, you won't completely get rid of every last single jiggle, but will greatly minimize them.

The system you inserted the website for looks like a great system. However, their statement Eliminates need for Tripod or Between
Wheel Chocks!
is erroneous in one sense. You do need to chock your wheels before you unhook from the rig, or at least use some semblance of wheel blocking to prevent the rig from rolling after you unhook.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Ditto with the JT's. I think they were the originals and all others are knockoffs, not to say they are better, just the originals. I won't have another 5th wheel without them. A NOTE: They do NOT take all the movement out as you are sitting on air (tires), but about 90% with some depending on weight of occupants.
I obviously misstated some facts here as I received the following E-mail from Paul Hanscom, the owner of Steadyfast. I just want to correct my statement:

"Hi Phil And Kathy,

I am Paul Hanscom, the President of Steadyfast. I had a large number of hits on my website from this forum and searched to see what comments had been made. I hope you can take a look and see how the Steady fast system works. I am writing you this note to let you know it is not a Knock Off. The patent for this system was filed prior to JT's and the system is completely different. There are many JT owners and that is great. I just hope that the correct information gets to everyone.

Paul"

My apologies to Paul and to anyone else if I misled them.

exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:08 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We installed the JT's on our 3475rl and love them. They will stay with our unit on trade-in but new ones are being installed on our Big Sky as I type this. We would not be without them... Just a note: Keystone does not install them but our dealer is. It was part of our deal. It even stopped the shaking when the washer/dryer is going s long as we are on a level pad. 90% perfect on dirt or uneven ground.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:03 PM   #15
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Richard - I know a lot of people have the JT system & like them. I for one have the SteadyFast & feel it is an excellent product. Some of the things you might not know is that the SteadyFast only requires three braces to be installed whereas the JT complete system uses six, and in some cases you may have to install a metal cross brace to mount the JT braces to. Also, the SteadyFast includes the hardware for all the frame configurations you might have on your trailer or 5th wheel (C channel, I beam, box) & even includes the correct sized drill bits for the self tapping screws. If that isn't enough, the owner will also purchase his SteadyFast back if you aren't completely satisfied with it's performance. I think these factors make a big difference in making a decision. mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:15 AM   #16
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
]If I'm reading your post correctly, and you've put stabilizers under the slide, you might want to re-think that. Keystone does not recommend this method of stablizing your rig ... if you should have a flat on that side and the rig sinks a bit, the stablizers could damage the slide mechanism, and that damage would not be covered by your warranty. It is my understanding that although an earlier model year Keystone owners manual stated this method was okay, it has since removed this statement.

In addition to the JT things, Steve permanently mounted scissor jacks behind the wheels to help with the up-and-down movement. This eliminated the up-and-down bouncing.

As far as movement when an occupant walks around, Steve and I will never be considered dainty people, but we're learning that if we walk a bit "softer" it helps ... in addition to the stablizing methods described here by the other members.

vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:08 AM   #17
Richard Bruno
Established Member

M.O.C. #7480
Thanks to all of those who responded to my inquiry about the "shaking". We did find that walking a little softer helped a little. As far as putting the stabilizers under the slide, I only used them a couple of times and I found that they didn't help so I filed that under "bad investment". I think I can now make an informed decision; leaning toward the Steadtfast product.

Richard
Richard Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #18
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
We've used all things mentioned in the above replys...except JT's.

The cure I've found was installing two stack jacks at the frame in front of the front wheels.

Unbelievable results! Wife is happy!

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:51 AM   #19
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
We installed the plug-it-right stablizer system and are very happy with it.
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:59 PM   #20
jrhaman
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6999
I saw someone else do this and I thought it was an inexpensive fix and it really works. I put a cheap screw type stabilizer on a chunk of wood behind the rear wheels and snug it up to the frame. I could not believe what a difference it made. It just took the bounce right out of the floor. I don't even notice when the wife walks thru and I barely feel the washer when it is on spin. Cost was less than 30 bucks.
jrhaman is offline   Reply With Quote