Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-02-2009, 03:38 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Does anybody know?

Dexter has come up with a Nev-R-Adjust trailer brake for their 6000/7000 pound axles. I have just discovered that the magnets are two different strengths. "White wire" is for 6000# and "black wire" is for 7000# axles. The Nev-R-Adjust brake assemblies can be retrofitted to the axles. Does any one know if we have to self adjusting brakes on any of the new rigs, i.e., 2008/2009 models?

If not, I am sure thinking of retrofitting my rig with them. The cost is about $65 a wheel when the Nev-R-adjust is purchased from Trailer Parts Superstore. Just replacing the brake pads would run $50 a wheel. For $15, I will be happy not to have to deal with those cursed brake shoe springs. Five bolts and 2 wires sounds a bunch better and less time consuming. I have done my share of brake shoe replacements with those blasted springs and retainers (even when you have the right tools).

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:03 AM   #2
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Mt 2009 BS (purchased 8/08) required a brake adjustment so I am sure I don't have the brakes you referenced.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
stiles, I have a suggestion, when we had the Cambridge we went to Mor/Ryde and had disk brakes installed. I highly recomend Disk brakes. Its a little pricey but if you ever pull a 5th wheel with Disk brakes you will never go back to electric. And you don't have to adjust disk brakes just replace the pads.

Phil had the install done, check with him and see how he likes the upgrade. Our (SOB) has disk brakes and 8,000 axles. Phil also had the IS suspension done at the same time. Just a suggestion. Good Luck on you choice. GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:59 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't know the answer to your question, Stiles, but wanted to comment when we replaced the axles last summer Dexter had just come out with the self adjusting brakes on the 7000 lb. axles about a week before. I don't know if they still carry both the self adjusting and the standard manual adjust brakes on their axles or not. Nor which Keystone is using.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote