Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
paint

Does anyone know if there is a paint no. for the Montana? I have a friend who will repair the front cap by removing old graphics, repaint and reapply the new graphics. Just need a paint code.

gitrdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 12:28 PM   #2
Gramps
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8903
I may be incorrect, but I don't believe there is a paint code, as the exterior is just white fiberglass and gelcoat. If someone knows something different, I stand humble and corrected. I believe all that is required is the application of some heat to remove the old graphics, a good cleaner to remove what remains of the adhesive, and the application of the new graphics, unless there is damage to the exterior surface.

If the front cap is damaged and requires repair to the fiberglass, any good automotive paint store should be able to match the paint for you. Good Luck.
Gramps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:35 PM   #3
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
At one time I thought someone posted it was a GM white and there was a no.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Most reputable body and paint shops now have hand held color matching machines that compensate for type of lighting and degree of weathering for a near perfect match. Once the sun and other allies of Mother Nature go to work, a given color code would be hard pressed for a match. After the graphics and adhesive are removed, you will notice a couple of shades lighter white beneath along with somewhat more gloss ... just normal. Unless you have damage to the cap, perhaps a good buffing of the gelcoat will be all that's needed before you have new graphics put on as there is no coat of white paint on either endcap.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
diesel guy pretty much explained the situation. Both end caps are gelcoat and yes the color can be computer matched but you can expect the paint to fade at a much faster rate than the gelcoat giving you a less that desirable finish. If I were even going to attempt such a repair I would have the entire cap painted and not just the repaired area.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:06 AM   #6
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
Well I know this for sure. The front cap ia not gel coat. I am painting the complete front cap, with 2 coats of clear after a new white base.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:59 AM   #7
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
gitrdun, by looking at your graphics, I would say your unit is about my year, 04 or close.
These caps are not painted or gel coated, they are plastic that will fade and oxidize under normal weather conditions. My front cap is badly oxidized and will require a lot of manual labor to bring back the shine it once had. I do have the gel coat on the sides. Just haven't had the desire to do it yet!
If you do paint the cap, make sure you use the paint that is flexible so it doesn't crack as the clear also.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:26 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
According to the factory the color is or was NG GM 433 Bright White, 16,WA 9753. It was a match for our 06 3400. I would not take that as accurate now and do a paint match as suggested. The above color works OK as a touch up color.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:31 AM   #9
gitrdun
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4075
I called Keystone and you guys have more info than they do. I matched the paint, and had it mixed. You are exactly right the end caps are plastic or polaymer, and the gel coat the factory said is a poor excuse. We pay hard earned dollars for these units and expect the same in return. They replaced the graphics and that was better than I thought. Better than a sharp stick in the eye. I am going to paint it what happens happens. Thanks for the info.