Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-02-2008, 03:29 PM   #21
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I still would run fast as its a shady deal ,, what else is wrong or are you buying it for $5000.00 and you only pay him $100.00 per month till you feal good about the deal in 5 years from now .. price is not everything , can you sleep in it with out a gun at your side or he mite come and get it some nite about 4 am or so , i consider it hot , no matter what a dealer or he says , life is toooooooooooooooo short to get in a bad deal john

sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2008, 05:06 PM   #22
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
DO NOT....... REPEAT DO NOT try and get a tile in the State of FLorida for something you do not already have title from that state or another state.
Been There, Done That. Jet ski trailers in the State of South Carolina don't have Titles. Try taking one to Florida and get a title. I wish i'd never seen it.

Now if you want to bring it to Georiga and get a tag, no problem.. Read this quote (Copied) from the State Web Site.... You'll do a double take

Quote:
quote: "Motor homes, travel trailers, and campers built since 1986 must be titled in the state of Georgia, but titles for fifth-wheel trailers are not required. All these vehicles need to be registered with the Motor Vehicle Division in order to be driven on public roads.To register, title, and tag your RV or motor home, complete a title application and apply at your local tag office.)
Refernace Web site
http://www.dmv.org/ga-georgia/rv-motor-homes.php

IF its a REAL GOOD deal and maybe the guy is honest, i think i would have a Florida Attorney handle the deal and see what he says and clear the way so you don't have any recorse coming back at you later.

Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:45 AM   #23
dilligas

M.O.C. #7534
All trailers and vehicles come from the factory with a certificate of origin. That is the title. The manufactor doesn't not register the vehicle in a state before the dealer gets it. The dealer then redisters it in the state when they sell it to you. For a charge. I bought my unit in Arizona and I live in California. I then took it to Texas in November and put Texas plates on it. Why pay twice. The DMV in all states work with as certificate of origin as all vehicles are registered this way the first time.
dilligas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:49 AM   #24
bolinski
Established Member

M.O.C. #8006
I want to thank all of you for your time and concern. I just checked the vin # on the trailer and it matches the number given to me by the dealer so it is not a stolen trailer. I also have the owner's address and he owns real estate here in town-about 4 blocks from where I own a home so if there is a problem I at least know where to find him. So Friday, if the title info he has from Florida matches up I plan to pull the trigger. Thank you all very much and very sincerely.
Next issue is what to buy to pull it. I have been told that many of you pull a 3500 or similar sized trailer with 3/4 tons but I am leaning toward a dually full ton for the extra safety. I really don't mean to bring up a potentially touchy issue but I can't ignore the opportunity to obtain informed input from folks that already own and have pulled similar trailers. I understand how to calculate the weights etc...and I know that with a 3/4 ton truck and a 3500 loaded I will be close to the weight limits. I know that this issue has been extensively debated on the escapees forum but I think responses from those of you that own and pull similar Montana trailers would be the most informed.
bolinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:55 AM   #25
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There was more the story that was first posted. We now find that the seller does have a title and the dealer verifies the sale so the unit is not stolen. If paid for in cash there is no lien holder that is owed money. As a added check run the VIN through Keystone. If a clear title can be verified and you are satisfied with the conditon and the price there would be no reason to go on with the deal.. It would not be a bad idea to have a attorney check things out for you.If you have a bank that you deal with or are taking a loan the camper they can do the documentation check for you.You should be doing these things no matter who you purchase the camper from.

On edit.Your above post got in while I was typing this one.. If you do not have a truck and you are leaning toward a 3500 dually you are leaning in a good direction.. Go with your inclinations
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:03 AM   #26
JimnJulie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5590
Just say no
JimnJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #27
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I am wracking my brain trying to remember an example state but it seems to me there are states out there that do not title trailers. The certificate of origin would remain with the buyer in that case, however. But it sounds like this situation is concluded and it doesn't matter which states title and which don't.

As for the trucks, I have enough miles to conclude a dually is not necessary to tow a Montana. As do many others. However, I'm also of the school that you should not buy a tow vehicle unless you are comfortable with it. You seem to be thinking dually. So go dually. Nothing at all wrong with that, regardless of whether I think it's necessary.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #28
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Every state is different, do what is required for your state.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 02:36 PM   #29
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
I would still make him produce a title before I handed over the cash.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:39 AM   #30
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I found getting used Dually a lot easier at the 3500/1 Ton level than a SRW, so even though I only wanted a SRW, I settled for a great deal on a duallie. Apparently the market is dominated by duallies at theat level. Definitely a time-consuming pain to check tire pressure and refill the rear tires, but I'm retired, so I just have to plan ahead.

What I really like is the LONG BED - backing into my storage lot space is a 90 degree operation, and some street corners are a little tight too. Not an issue with the long bed.
RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:08 AM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RRman

I found getting used Dually a lot easier at the 3500/1 Ton level than a SRW,
I think that's true of brand new trucks, too. And if you want GM, I don't think a SRW 1 ton even exists, does it?
Old 01-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #32
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
Pretty obvious some of your folks have no idea of the law and what is required. Yet you tell this man to run run run. You should not post if you know not of what you speak.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:37 AM   #33
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
Steve
My Dodge is a SRW 1 ton.

Mike
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:44 AM   #34
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Had a 2006 GMC SRW 1 ton LB 4x4 Ext Cab - ordered it from the factory.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #35
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
When we used to be seasonal campers, we knew some people who bought a brand new trailer in New Jersey and had it delivered to their campground in New York State. They never registered it in NY because they didn't plan on pulling it anywhere. I think this happens more than you realize. Many people do not pull their RV's and unless the campground owner requires them to register it with motor vehicles, they don't. They get out of paying sales tax that way. I think this may be the case here. As long as the present owner can get the title, there should not be a problem.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:29 PM   #36
bolinski
Established Member

M.O.C. #8006
We did the deal and all appears to have worked out well. We have title in our names and the guy was on the up and up. He just didn't want to pay the sales taxes but we ended up insisting that he register it and provide us with a title. Now it's on to choosing a truck to pull it. I am leaning toward a Chevy 3500 dually diesel for the Duramax engine and Allison transmission. Also will looking at a 2006 dodge 3500 dually with 61k in miles for around $22K or 2005 dodge 3500 dually with 27k in miles for around $25k. Can't find a Chevy dually yet! Need generator also. This rving cost money!!! Haven't even left home yet.
bolinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #37
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
GM is very restrictive on their one ton trucks...all come in LB only and all diesels come with a 3.73 rear end.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:08 PM   #38
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
I'm betting you dont hear any "oh, so I was wrong" remarks on here from the do gooders.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 02:21 PM   #39
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
The original post asked "What do you think?" All responses were solicitated therefore should be considered as opinions. I am sure that is what the OP had in mind. Through the course of the responses, I believe he sought an acceptable resolution to a deal that definitely seemed questionable. The deal in hindsight turning out to be a reputable one should not influence solicitated responses. I trust when I pose a question that all will chip in so I can weigh the responses, much as bolinski obviously did. Nothing is gained by criticizing those who responded in a manner that they thought was correct. As always this is my opinion and can be considered or not. Bolinski, I only hope that the various answeres to your post led in some way to what you feel is an acceptable resolution. That is the power of this forum.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #40
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mike, mine too.

Michael, that's good to hear. When I was shopping, two GMC dealers told me there's no such thing as a SRW 1 ton GMC or Chevy. Obviously they were wrong. Thanks.