Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2007, 06:28 AM   #1
russd
Established Member

M.O.C. #6222
bigsky vs montana?

whats the differences between the two? is the bigsky just a luxuriate montana? the dealer said the bigsky was 20k more. but if you add all the upgrades to a montana will it come close in price? from the brochure the bigsky had a bigger tv, fridge... just looking to the future. thanks for any info.

russd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:06 AM   #2
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Other than the bigger fridge I wasn't all that impressed with the three Big Sky models. Seems like a lot of money to pay for a glorified Montana. I have looked at all three models 5 times thinking I was missing something. Yesterday I was at our local dealers local rally and tested myself again...I still don't see what the big deal is.
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:30 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Okie Guy

Other than the bigger fridge I wasn't all that impressed with the three Big Sky models. Seems like a lot of money to pay for a glorified Montana. I have looked at all three models 5 times thinking I was missing something. Yesterday I was at our local dealers local rally and tested myself again...I still don't see what the big deal is.
Okie Guy,
Couldn't agree more. IMHO the BS is just a glorified Monty. I full time and I don't need a 2 door fridge. I don't need a bigger microwave. I don't need a 5 inch bigger TV. I don't need a larger wardrobe. Most importantly I don't need the extra weight. I don't need the all extra cosmetics, bells and whistles.
I do need my bigger desk which BS shortend due to the larger TV.

I do have a much better use for the extra bucks you pay for a BS BUT if you got the extra bucks than I say go for it but get the paint as it is much purrtyer than the plain old BS.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:17 AM   #4
kerry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7125
I have a Big Sky and I've had a Montana. They are both good units. I like the double door frig, the bigger MW, the 12g HW tank, the super hi-gloss gelcoat, the elec rear jacks, the upgraded furniture, the upgraded shower, the upgraded water fixtures, the bigger TV, all the stuff thats standard on the BIG SKY. Kerry
kerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:24 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
IMO..There are many upgrades in the BS that make it attractive to the long timer or full timer. The bigger fridge alone is almost worth the 5K or so difference in price. had the BS been offered in it's present configuration when we purchsaed our 3400 in 06 we would have, without a doubt, went with the BS.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #6
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Well, I am on my second Big Sky, so I think that says it all for me. I guess I have put my money where my mouth is.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:45 PM   #7
russd
Established Member

M.O.C. #6222
how much more are the bigsky's over the monety's? 5k isn't that much if that is it. thnaks for the opinions so far.
russd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 12:49 PM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
The Big Sky is now - and always has been - a premium line of the Montana. It's not trying to pretend to be anything else, so I'm not sure what folks are actually expecting.

It has many features as standard that are optional on Montana, but it also has many features that are not available on Montana. You cannot add options to Montana to equal a Big Sky, in the same manner that you cannot add options to a Ford Expedition to equal a Lincoln Navigator, even though you turn them over and they all look the same.

It's a great country of choices and free enterprise. Why do folks buy the luxury models instead of the standard models? - quite simply.... because they can!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #9
Eagle Man
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7430
We were not impressed with the BS. A number of items they looked at as 'improvements' we did not like, such as the big window by the table at the expense of cabinets.
Eagle Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 05:02 PM   #10
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
We also bought a Big Sky for exactly the same reasons that Kerry stated. In our opinion, it was worth the price difference......Having said that, we were very aware of the differences and negotiated a great deal. Some dealers apparently think they're suppose to get another $20,000 which is ridiculous. They apparently don't plan on selling any.
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 06:27 PM   #11
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
As has been said here many many times - it's all about personal preference.

We were ready to buy the 3400 and had negotiated a deal when we learned about the Big Sky. Considering the options we were ordering on the 3400, we bought the Big Sky for about $5,000 more and got a number of additional options not available on the 3400. Since we are full timing for a couple of years at least, it was nice to have them.....big refrigerater, larger (non-Apollo microwave/convection oven), upgraded fixtures, great shower, table without what we feel is a cumbersome petestal, high gloss gell coat (including storage doors).

Larger TV is nice, but not important......we got it for $5,000 over the 3400 - if we weren't full timing, we would have ordered the 3400. Some dealers are giving better deals on the Big Sky than than others.

Visit a dealer or go to an RV Show, best to view them side-by-side like we did......sit in the unit, imagine living in it and make your own personal decision like everyone else on this forum did.

Just don't put down the choices that others made because your preference was different.

Good luck on your search and go with what feels right for you.

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 01:35 AM   #12
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Glenn: I can understand why you don't need a bigger microwave because you don't eat at home. You don't need a bigger frig because you don't buy your own beer.
Enough said.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:26 AM   #13
Verle and Sue
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3960
Like David and JoAnn, we were planning on a 3400 purchase. When the Big Sky came out we weighed the pros and cons for our PERSONAL NEEDS and the Big Sky won hands down for the reasons already listed by other Big Sky owners. We could have done without them, but felt we would enjoy/use them over the long haul. Thought we would miss the cabinets over the table, but found we haven't even filled the living room cabinets yet. We DO cook and eat at "home" and felt the appliances were great (to avoid having to carry coolers, extra fridge or freezer etc.). We don't put down anyone else's choice and it bothers us to see some of the unnecessary snide comments made about the Big Sky and the Big Sky purchases and purchasers. We certainly aren't made of money, but felt we made a good deal on a great Fifth Wheel. Sue and Verle C
Verle and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:08 AM   #14
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Verle and Sue, good post, it is unfortunate that some posts were taken that way, maybe the posters just didn't know how to be diplomatic in their comments, but you are right. Sorry about that.
Take care.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #15
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Sue and Verle, I certainly do hope that you don't take any of my comments as "snide comments" as they were nothing more than my opinion. The BS is a beautiful rig and the extras that I don't desire or need are just that, extras that I don't desire or need. Everyone has the right to spend their bucks the way they see fit and everyone has a right to their opinion as well.

Bill and Ann, You're right...You don't need a bigger frig because you don't buy your own beer. How in the world could I afford my lifestyle iffn I gotta buy my own brewskis.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:15 PM   #16
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Well said David and Jo-Anna, and others. I would agree that the Big Sky is not worth $20,000 more than the Montana so that's why we only paid about $5,000 more, and for all we got it is well worth it. It's our home on wheels and we want to enjoy out time in it as much as we can so the Big Sky fits our need and wants just fine. I must also say that it's a long way from the amenities that we had in the stick built before we sold it, so going to the Big Sky was a huge step down.

If you don't think it's worth it then don't buy one, but please don't knock what others think is a great unit.

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 02:19 PM   #17
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
I am VERY HAPPY FOR ALL, that have purchased units that meet their needs. I for one love out 3650rk MONTANAa, however--------WE have since replaced both TV's with LCD's and the sofa and two chairs have also been replaced. SO if you have to add up what I spent to replace these items, I could be hauling a Big Sky and would have a LARGER SMILE on this old man's face. However...... We will keep driving down the road, and smileing. blinking our head lights and shaking the hands of everyone we meet with a Big Sky or Montana. Just Last night in a small campground in Amana Colonies, Iowa (OCTOBETFEST) MUDCHIEF and I left our campfire about 8pm, afterdark as we had seen a BIG SKY pull in. We went over to assist if needed. We met the FLORIDAHOBO'S great folks. we continued through the park as our bride's were guarding the fire and found another couple John and Beth from Nebraska with a regular MONTANA. Gosh we treated them the same. ha ha, Great folks, and we invited them to look into our MOC. I guess I am saying--- Who care's What ever there in, Good for them and they are all WELCOME TO THE BRANSON GET TOGEATHER MAY 2008. ok, I AM GONE. Safe travels everyone John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:35 PM   #18
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
If I could pick up a new Big Sky with the partial paint job and many of the other "options" that are available on the Big Sky for $5,000 more than a new 3400RL Montana, I would sure buy the Big Sky. I have priced a few 340RLQ's up and down the west coast and into the western side of the Midwest. Many dealerships are not willing to budge off of their $88,000 MSRP list price...which in my opinion is well off the price point of the Big Sky. At $90,000+ one is getting into the Elite Suites, Excel Limited, and Carriage price points.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 04:50 AM   #19
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

As has been said here many many times - it's all about personal preference.

Good luck on your search and go with what feels right for you.
Hi guys, we missed you in Goshen.....hope you are having fun and "what Feels right" doesn't continue to be ice on the bumps on David's head! I am sure by now he has learned where and when to duck....

Take care,
Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:44 AM   #20
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Verle and Sue - go for it! They are gorgeous rigs. If Dory and I didn't have a concern about length in 2003, we would have bought a Big Sky then instead of a 2955. If the Big Sky would have been available in fall of 2006, we would have bought one then instead of our 3400. Seems I'm always missing the mark but I'll get one someday.

Cmon Big Sky owners, don't be modest! Keystone went to a lot of effort to add "plush" to the Big Sky, including better furniture, better carpet, better cabinets, even leather options. Don't justify your purchase based on the practicality of the refrigerator!! If you got it, flaunt it! This is America and the pursuit of a better quality of life is your right! If it wasn't important, we could all get by in FEMA trailers!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote