Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-09-2007, 10:53 PM   #21
precisiongizmo
Established Member

M.O.C. #5382
our 06 3500RL stunk pretty bad for 6 monthes. The stink didn't leave until the 100 degree weather cooked the glue with the vents open. Thank goodness that ocurred before we went full time.

precisiongizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:00 PM   #22
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
This just in.. I saw the news the other night the the people in New Orleans that were given RV's to live in now 28,000 have filed claims for medical problems related to the Glue. How much is that going to cost us, you know the Gov. gave them the RV's so we the Tax payers will pay. If they win I will file for the medical Exp. we had in our last RV, this new one sat open long enough and aired out no problems.

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:54 PM   #23
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Me thinks it is a possible life changing law suit, by some who are inclinded to do so........................
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:24 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The Point is missed.. the Rv industry sells those Rv's to EVERYONE including you and me. I along with everyone who has purchased a RV has breathed in the fumes and how do we know there are no problems.. The industry got caught poisoning folks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:36 PM   #25
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
Our 93 Prowler was bad for the first month. Our used Mountaineer didn't have that problem.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:53 AM   #26
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I guess we were lucky our Cambridge was delivered to the dealership in Aug and we bought it in Sept and we never noticed any smell problems and my Delaine is very sensitive to differect smells. We left for Fla on our first trip with the Cambridge and to RGV in Texas and then to Canada. We did keep the windows open a lot for the trip to Fla and Tx. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #27
rosyriz
Established Member

M.O.C. #6858
Oh my, has anyone looked into if this is relavent to our Monty's? Rosyriz
rosyriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:12 PM   #28
one_strange_texan
Established Member

M.O.C. #3989
I am going to try to not get too political here.

Every day, we get reports and articles in the news media about things in our modern culture and modern world that are about to kill us - like movie popcorn. If you listen to the stories the words are always "reported to" "might increase" "many scientists believe" etc. It is part of the syndrome Michael Crichton called the "State of Fear." I must agree with the point that trial lawyers tend to encourage this state.

I do not want to underestimate the discomfort many have experienced to the exposure to high levels of chemicals from new building materials, but I feel the risk is being overblown. We are voicing a fear of it, when many of us are quite willingly taking on the risk of using tobacco products or driving the highways, risks that are quite well known and documented not just in the news media.

Should the RV industry take steps to reduce the amount of chemicals that can be emitted from newly constructed rigs? Probably. Is it a severe problem that hasn't been around for quite a while? Maybe not. Medically, these things depend on dose and duration of exposure.

One thing that you can be sure of is that the fix will cost us all more money the next time we buy a rig and I know many of us will be complaining about that.
one_strange_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:31 AM   #29
01RAMer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7316
After taking posession of ours direct from the factory, the fumes were almost unbearable. I thought it was the carpet that they put in and shampooed the floor. This helped for a little but the smell persists. This spring, after being closed up over the winter, I opened the door and the smell was back. Airing it out helps but if closed for a time, the smell comes right back, though thankfully not as strong. I hope it goes away soon or we will probably be read about in the paper next.
01RAMer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:14 AM   #30
Jetson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #180
I like the way my Montana smells. It makes me want to go camping. We've had it 5 years and still can't wait to take it out!
Old 08-03-2007, 01:17 PM   #31
vabluebird
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6155
We bought a doublewide from Giles in 2000. It smelled the same as out Big Sky. The company had put posters on the cabinets to explain the smell. It took a while to get rid of the smell, but now, 7 years later, it's gone, and we're still here.

The smell in our Big Sky is even worse. But our doublewide is 36'x 28'. Our Big Sky
is 36' plus 4 slides. It's not as bad as it was when we bought it after the NE Rally,
and I hope by the time we leave the end of this month for SD it will be better. By that
time we can maybe open the windows. We run the A/C alot.
vabluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #32
welanagan

M.O.C. #5333
My 3500 RL has never had an odor problem. We are full time at least srven months of the year and so far have not suffered any ill effects.
Where do you get the equiptment to check for gases? Maybe my nose just does not work that well.
welanagan is offline   Reply With Quote