Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-10-2009, 04:41 PM   #1
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
My new truck got a Ouch already

I was going down a two lane highway and a cement truck hit a bump on his side and a base ball size chunck of half dried cement bounced off his truck and when it hit the street it exploded into many pieces, and guess where it went? right into my side of the high way it did pepper the front of the truck but I saw no damage when we got back to camp everything appeared OK. I was putting on some polish today an sprayed som wax on the front end under the hood relese and there it was right where you could never see it untill you wax, the rocks that blasted across the high way found my fog lamp on the drivers side and shatered the lens I'm so mad I dont even ger it on the road one monthand a piese of junk cement truck messes up my new truck. BUMMER. I wonder what that will cost to replace. anybody out there with a 08 Dodge replace that lens or do I have to replace the complete housing.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don,

Given the way things are going I'd say about a thousand dollars! That sort of thing sure is irritating isn't it?!

Well go down to local dealer and get it ordered. You know they won't have it in stock!

See you soon.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Don, so sorry to read that this happened to you. What a bummer. RC would be full of rage. I hope it does not cost you too much...but parts sure are expensive these days.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:49 AM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Sorry, Don. Whenever I get a new vehicle I cringe, 'cause I know that first ding is coming. Hope you find a cost-effective solution.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 01:34 AM   #5
bullroc3
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7122
You may want to contact your insurance company and explain what happened. You probably have coverage under the comprehensive section of the policy. It is very aggravating to have this happen. I'm about to replace my windshield for the second time due to flying rocks and the truck is less than 3 years old.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #6
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Ouch, so sorry about that, just hate when that happens!!! One good thing is you've got that 1st ding out of the way and the fault neither falls on you or the DW?
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 03:37 AM   #7
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Sorry to hear that your new truck has been peppered. I had 26 miles on my new Chevy when a rock hit the windshield and cracked it to the point of having to replace it. The dings I hate the worst are the ones that I am responsible for.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:26 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We feel your pain.Our truck is not brand new (08 F-350) but it had not a scratch on it. Some Knucklehead took the paint off my Right Dually fender I am sure in Camping world parking lot as the damage is high up on the fender so it was no doubt a fellow RV'er who hit and took off. Idiots can be anybody. It is in the shop now to the tune of 350.00.

Don....You may have to replace the entire truck

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:47 AM   #9
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Don,

After further review I must revise my previous estimate of the damage. I believe Richfaa is correct...... your truck was "totaled" and as such must now be replaced!

Thanks Rich for the additional information. We'll get Don back on the road with a replacement truck soon.

Later,

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:08 AM   #10
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
I bounced around in those concrete trucks for over 35 years. In Ca. if a rock, or object Falls off a truck, the company is responsible for it. If it gets kicked up off the road by a tire, then it's not the companys fault. For some reason they call it an act of God.
If you were able to get the name ,truck number, or license number from the truck, then make a claim through them, otherwise, it's on your ins co. Bill

Don, If you can reconize the truck by the company colors, and know where you were at and the time, most likely that truck can be identified by the delivery ticket.
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:32 AM   #11
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Ouch - feel your pain as they say. Got my new Dodge home on Friday afternoon (direct from the dealer) and that evening we had a thunderstorm -- hail damage to the tune of over $1500.00. Insurance took care of it, and a good shop did the work but I still swear I see some dimples when I look at it . (and to add insult to injury, I had to pay 500.00 because of the deductible..). Hopefully, it will be an inexpensive lense replacement and your's will be back 100%.

skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 06:53 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ahhh, man, Don, that bites! At least it wasn't sheetmetal damage.

Don, I've not had to replace that part or any part but I'd bet it's a sealed unit. On our 2004 Ford Focus Wagon we had a fogged headlight lens cover and the whole thing had to be replaced. I don't know the cost, it was under warranty.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:49 PM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Up date on the light, I can't buy just the glass lens, I must buy the whole light housing $147.00 they needed my Vin number and what side broke, I crawled under the front fender, and it looks like a easy job four bolts, but I will have to use my computer glasses working in those tight quarters bi folcals dont do any good working underneath something. I called the Insurance company and it is covered but, I pay the first 250, and they get the rest, so that why I'll do it myself it will be cheaper that way. Well it could have been worst it could have chipped the paint, and thats a never match the original paint again job.
Oh! the truck works so good pulling the Monty, South Dakota here we come, got to see the talking heads.
Thank for the good words to all, I have got over the first ouch.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:38 PM   #14
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
I had to replace mine on my '07 and I thought I remembert it was about $106 but that may just be one of those senior moment things.

The job of replacing it is a piece of cake.

Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:01 AM   #15
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
If you are going to replace it, you might stop by a good truck accessory shop and look at the PIAA (I think that is the correct spelling for the name) lamps -- they have a driving lamp replacement that fits in place of the factory fogs and you can use them with your low beams out on the highways. Had them on my 06 and really helped the stock headlights. Were a pain to get aimed accurately the first time as I recall but once aimed, they threw a beam staight out that really improved the view. Light thrown is not as far as high beams and also aimed so as not to blind on-coming traffic. They (PIAA) have direct replacements for the Ford folks as well; in my readings I've not seen anything yet for the GMC folks.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:20 AM   #16
YOPPER
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6547
YOU MIGHT DO SOME RESEARCH ON OEM PRODUCTS AND AUTO SALVAGE YARDS. MAYBE OLDER MODELS OF TV USE SAME FOG LIGHTS.
YOPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:06 PM   #17
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
Believe it or not, some of those minor dimples can self heal over time if it sits in the hot sun for a few days. Sounds goofy, but have seen it happen on a cr we used to have.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:25 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

Oh! the truck works so good pulling the Monty, South Dakota here we come, got to see the talking heads.
So, Don, you like the way your new Dodge tows your Montana? Enjoy the trip.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote