Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Washer/dryer Installation

Well, I figured that if Ontmont, Hamrad, and a few others could do it I could too. So, I ordered a Splendide 2100CX machine.

Did anyone (who installed their own machines) run into any particular problems during the installation, and, if so, how did you overcome the problems?

lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Brad,

On mine, I had to remove the lower & upper trim of the cabinet. This gave me more room for the installation.
Also, I had to install two 90 degree elbows for the water hook up.

I contacted Montana for the location of the studs for the dryer hole.
The dryer vent kit only has 2 feet of hose,,,not enough! Use 5 feet instead. Much easier to install washer.

Hope that helps.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #3
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I installed one in our 3075 and then in our 3465. Both times I removed the face frame bottom rail and the doors, a lot easier to get the units in. I also cut a access hole in the shelf above the w/d, where the TV is. I wanted easy access to the shut off valves if needed. I like to install a drain pan under the w/d and 1" drain tubing to the outside in case if a leak. Getting the drain line under the floor out by the propane tank was the hardest part of the project.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:25 AM   #4
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
since we will be installing the same set up, but in our 3295, is it wise to install or find harward that will attach the legs to the floor to keep it from tipping? and shoud the dryer duct to the outside be installed that high up on the outside?
I had read on here of a washer/dryer tipping over, and while it is in the closet and may not tip over or out, it would protect the walls from the machine gouging them out during travel, if it gets loose.
Several of you also made your bifold doors seal together, to make a single door. Has anyone replace their doors for the laundry with the new louvered bifold doors to reduce humidity?

Sorry, don't want to hijack your thread, but your questions were the same ones I have been contemplating for the last week.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:35 AM   #5
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Excellent idea on using longer vent hose.

I downloaded the owners manual from Splendide. The manaual talks about hardware being available to secure the legs to the floor.

Next question: The washer/dryer cabinet in my 3075 has carpet on the floor. The owners manual says that you should NOT install the machine on carpet since this adds to the shakiness of the machine during spin cycles. So, did anyone remove the carpet first?
Old 01-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We used a drip pan under our Splendide combo got it from Camping World. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:28 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
IIRC, the washer/dryer that tipped out was not in a closet in a 3295. Rather, the owner (sorry, user name escapes me at the moment, ole leaky memory, sighh ) purchased a pre-owned unit, where the original owner had removed the wall between the closet and the toilet room.

that is if IIRC!!

I don't believe I have ever heard of anyone else having a washer/dryer fall over like that.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 12:52 PM   #8
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Yes you should remove the carpet. Just cut the carpet around the edges inside the cabinet with a knife and remove it. One other thing I did was cut a hole in the side of the closet wall and was able to hooked up the water lines and dryer vent after the unit was in the cabinet. I installed a access cover over the hole when I done. I did it that way to make sure that the water lines and dryer vent didn't have any kinks or sharp bends.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Brad,

I left the carpet on the floor. There is NO padding under the carpet in this area. The four legs on the washer will mat the carpet enough to not cause any problems.
Ours runs smooth on carpet unless the load gets uneven.
It also stays put when driving... No shifting on the floor.

I think when the manual states "do not install on carpet", they are figuring there is padding under the carpet. This of course would cause a problem.
I know this...25 years in the carpet business.

Hope that helps

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 07:08 AM   #10
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Devildog

I had read on here of a washer/dryer tipping over,

That would be ours! We installed ours in an open area and thought it would be ok. We traveled to PA rally and didn’t have any trouble. We also went to VA down over the mountains and didn’t have any trouble. We went to a local park about 25 miles from home and it tipped over on the way there. There was a drop in the pavement where the road had slightly caved in and the sudden movement caused the tip over. We were inside the park and about a mile form the campground. This is where I think it happened at. It cost me about $200.00 to fix it myself. Wish I had fastened it down to the floor to begin with but I really didn’t think I would have any problems. If you have a partition to hold it in place it might be somewhat different but that will be your call. Here is a picture of our installation. I also ran the vent through the wall, directly behind where the vent was located. Our unit a 3295 had a sticker on the wall that indicated the area was prepped for a washer dryer. I talked to one of Keystone reps at the rally (Miram I think) before I cut into the wall and he indicated it should be clear of wires or studs in that area. I didn’t have any trouble but when I cut through the wall I cut it first from the inside in layers so that if I had a problem it could be fixed and it wouldn’t be all the way through. I didn’t see any reason to be concerned with the vent being mounted at that location which gave it a straight shot to the outside; even though it’s a little high where it’s at. To me it’s only a matter of cosmetics anyway. Other than the hole being a little out of round I think it turned out to be a very good job overall.

I do have it fastened to the floor now!

lasater & Devildog, let us know how your installations turn out!

Old 01-16-2009, 12:35 AM   #11
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
The machine was delivered yesterday. Today, I will put it in, test it, and then head straight down the road to Quartzite where I won't be able to use it. Go figure!