Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #1
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
JT Stabilizers

Since Lippert has purchased JT Stabilizers, is Montana offering this as an option? I would like to get a set this year.

Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:23 AM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
I don't know if the JT's will be a factory option, but if they are they will cost a lot more than than buying and installing them yourself. The JT's are very easy to install and can be done in about half a day.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Ron, when we were at the rally in Goshen, didn't we see a couple frames on the line with the JT's attached? Could be wrong about that, I've been wrong at lot!!!!!!
It had to be at Keystone since we didn't visit Lippert.
We will check at the show in Tampa and get back to you on that as an option!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
nailbender ,, do you feal the dif on the new unit as the ft legs are so short i didn't feal they are necessary.. i bought a set at the goshen rally and they are still in the box as we are going this week to lakeland 37 miles out of tampa. as we only stay a few days or a week are they worth the efort to get under and loosen or toghten so be it every time ,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:56 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
I have them and feel they are worth the money, but that is just my opinion.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
John -
I understand that they aren't that difficult. But a half day is a lot of time when you do as much traveling for work as I did last year. I'm still getting boxes unpacked from our move two years ago. I might just have to look for a deal at the rally this fall, or order from Lippert. I'll see what info Steve digs up in Tampa.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
John, The JT's add a lot of stability even with the short landing gear legs. I will set the JT's even for a one night stay and it only takes a few minutes. I don't have one, but I think there is a extension handle available to tighten/loosen the t-handles.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:45 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do have them. We did not installed them ourselves but they would not be hard to install if you are at all handy. They are easy to set up but it is important that you follow the instructions to the letter. They do not work well on dirt, grass, etc. They do need a paved or very solid surface for best results. We had been using 3 sets of jack stands. One set in the rear of the wheels ,one set in front of the wheels and one set to assist the rear stabilizers. The stability was far better than the JT's. The secret is to relieve the stress on the camper suspension. The jack stands do a far better job for 1/4th(or less) of the cost.....IMO. Camper here in the C.G is up on concrete blocks, wheels off the ground...steady as a rock. We purchased the JT's at the fall rally for a good price and we use them but will not leave the jack stands at home next time. Oh.. We purchased all our jack stands at flea markets for under 40.00 total.

This only my Humble opinion based on my experience only and should not influence the decision to purchase. They are a good product and do help.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:31 AM   #9
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

They do not work well on dirt, grass, etc. They do need a paved or very solid surface for best results.
Rich, we do not have the JT's yet but a set is on our list of additions for 2009. In my opinion none of our rigs can be stabilized as well on dirt/grass compared to the hard surfaces. During our seasonal stays on dirt/grass I do adjust things several times until everything settles in. That being said, I assume they still do improve one's stability on dirt and grass compared to NOT having them.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 05:19 AM   #10
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Darwin, We had ours installed at Quartzsite last year and noticed an immediate difference. We were on gravel/dirt. You can't get all the bounce out unless you do like richfaa and brace with jacks. After all you are sitting on air (tires) and we still have some bounce, but the difference is like night and day, with and without. I highly recommend these guys. We gave away our king pin stabilizer while there.........It never seemed to do much good anyway..... Just my opinion though, take it for what it's worth.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 06:19 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am not trying to minimize the value or efficiency of the JT's. They do help a great deal. However I have seen far to many post like..."they are steady as a rock" They are not...Properly set up and on a proper surface they do help. It was most noticeable when the W/D was on high spin.It still shook the camper but was a big improvement. When enhanced with jack stands the camper is very stable(tested in our driveway) BUT NOT STEADY AS A ROCK) It takes far more time to set up using the jack stands only but IMO is far more stable. They are like the Mor-Ryde suspension that will remove @ 80/85 % of the chuck but not eliminate it..same with the JT's.. I agree.You will not need the king pin stablizer with the JT's although I still use it to keep me from banging my noggon on the king pin.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:37 AM   #12
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Thanks Phil, you have confirmed what I expect the JT's to do for us even on dirt/grass surfaces, that being a drastic improvement or as Rich pointed out they do help a great deal. Yes, I agree one should refrain from using the "steady as a rock" statement, after all as said we are still sitting on a set of tires. We plan to eliminate the king pin stabilizer from our travel gear, never seem to do much for us either!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #13
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We don't mind the little bounce we have normally, and I believe the new shorter landing gear will make it even better without any mods. However, we do use jack stands when we're going to be somewhere for an extended time. However, the JT's just seem to be a quick way to take a lot of the movement out. A good discussion, and steady as a rock means different things to different people. Like I said, we're usually content with just the landing gear and rear jacks. This will be "steady as a rock" compared to that.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:08 PM   #14
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
Rich
Do you a photo showing where you put the jack stands? I agree the springs and tires are the big culpert with the bouncing. I am not a little guy so a walk from one end to the other sets the house a rocking even with the short landing gear.
Doug
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 03:19 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
No we do not have a photo but we just place one set in front of the wheels and another set to the rear of the wheels and a third set between the rear wheels and the rear stabilizers. I think it would take a bit of experimentation depending on what model Montana you have.The jack stands purpose is to take some stress off the suspension. Actually that is also what the JT's are doing.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:50 PM   #16
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
In addition to using the JT's, I salvaged a set of rear stabilizers from our 3075 that were not damaged. I installed them behind the rear tires on our 3465 and they helped a lot. Even with the Splendid w/d on spin, there is not much movement.