Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2008, 03:34 PM   #1
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Furnace Output

We are out in Bella for the Thanksgiving holiday (Thousand Trails Peace River, Florida). We are experiencing a bit of a cold snap (by Florida standards) and have used the heater last night and this evening. I THINK I recall seeing something about this in a thread earlier this year, but don't know what to search under so I am going the short route and posting a topic directly.

The furnace runs hard (noise-wise), but there doesn't seem to much, if any warm blowing up from the vents. Should we be looking for possible leaks somewhere in the undercarriage?

Any feedback would be appreciated as we are taking Bella for a warranty appointment next Friday and if it something we should pursue we can do so then.

Thanks in advance!

Robin

eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 03:51 PM   #2
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
Robin,
Could you be running the fan witout the heater? They don't blow a lot of air but it should be warm in a couple of minutes. Can you hear the gas burning after the fan comes on? Perhaps the ducting has come loose from the furnace. Not much help, ours has alwas run OK.
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Since I am not in your unit, I can't know whether you are not getting a normal air flow or you expectations are for a higher flow than is normal. Our furnace puts out a gentle flow, not a forceful flow. The unit heats up fairly quickly though. It has easily handled our demands on nights near freezing for all this last week. Remember, you get some heated air pumped into the lower parts of the rig to keep the pipes from freezing.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:16 PM   #4
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Bella does warm up but when compared to our class "A's" air flow with the furnace there just doesn't seem to be the same amount of air flow. Also (and I think this because we 1) Don't have a basement running under the entire rig (exepct where the engine is located) like the Class A which serves as an insulator and 2) because there is that "vent" that shares heat with the basement...but this also makes for sharing of cold from the basement as the "vent" is just a big "pneumonia hole" with no flap that closes when the heat is not on.) the heat that is generated disappates pretty quickly (the vinyl floor is FREEZING so we use throw rugs when it is cold on them).

The furnace is engaged and heating though so its not a mechanical/heating plant problem.

Sounds like our comparison is just based on that in a house and from the Class "A's".

Jerry and Stiles thanks for the quick responses...though Stiles I am disappointed that you wouldn't just "know" exactly what the air flow is like in Bella without being here!! LOL!

Robin
Old 11-27-2008, 01:39 AM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Robin,

Invite Stiles over for a visit!

Enjoy the weekend. Happy Turkey Day.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 02:18 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Robin, I would say the same as Stiles and add that I don't think these are high output furnaces so the air flow is somewhat gentle compared to a stick home. Ours heats fairly quickly in the am, then we turn it off and go to electric heat until we don't need them.

BTW: We have some time scheduled at Peace River this winter(1/27-2/17 and 2/24-3-17), what can you tell me about the preserve???
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 04:14 AM   #7
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Phil,

It is a former KOA campground. About 30%-40% is full hook-up and the remainder (near the river) is electric/water only. Some of the spots are, literally unusable by any rigs (the one behind us, for instance, has a cement pad (exception to the rule) and full hook up, but you couldn't even get a pop up tent in the spot absent doing a pull through from our side and hope there was noone there when you were ready to go! LOL

For the most part the sites are level and about 20-30 feet between rigs. Some sites are shaded and some are just table top flat (and level). EVERYONE here has been extremely friendly.

WiFi that is advertised is accessible only up at the office (and maybe if you are right next to the building)...our computers recognize the wifi, but they can't access it. Having the air card is a nice option. Small general store that is just getting set up. The cafe/restaurant is not open as, apparently, the people that were to run it backed out. Highway is "right there" but the traffic noise isn't really bothersome...obviously, the closer the river you get (and just electric/water hook-up) the less noise you have from the road. There is a nice "gourmet" style grocery store, Super WalMart and Ace Hardware (large and pretty new) real close as well. Oh, some paved and some dirt roads, but pretty well maintained.

ANYWAY, we'd come here again. We are in site D9, which has some nice shade (small oaks), is level (didn't need to use anything but the stablizers and front "legs". They are supposed to have a "honey dipper" available for those staying the non-full hook-up sites, but I have talked to anyone about it to get specifics (though I likely will for my own edification and will share the results with you.

OH, one big thing, if you are using a GPS and use the address vice the GPS coordinates you will be told "you are here" at another RV/Park Model park the north side of town. So, if you are coming from the north continue through town (the highway will "divide" and be just one way). When the highway joins back up and becomes two way again there will be three lanes of traffic going south. Get into the left lane that becomes a left turn only lane which takes you across the north bound lane and straight into the park.

If you have any other questions, let me know and I'll do my best to get you answers (preferably the correct ones)!

Everyone, with regard to the heat, our final analysis is that while it does heat up the unit relatively quickly, it just doesn't have the "umph" we are used to in the stick house and our former units. Thanks for the feedback, it was helpful and much appreciated!

Carol/Stiles - Hey, an invite isn't necessary! The door is always open! :-)

OBTW Happy Thanksgiving!

Robin
Old 11-27-2008, 04:37 AM   #8
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Robin, thanks for the info, just one last question: Are the sites 50 or 30 amp or is it a mixed bag???
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #9
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Phil,

Full hook-up sites are 30/50 amps (your choice) and the electric & water sites are 20/30 amps. I am looking at the campground map right now and the split is between the two groups is closer to 50/50. Oh, the picnic tables aren't at every site, but they were bringing them around to sites that needed them. Truth be told, they are in need of replacement (in my opinion) and we didn't have a table at our site, which is okay as we have our own table that we generally use. They are smaller than "normal" as well.

I really think you will enjoy yourself here. The town is kinda neat too (old town center)!

Robin