Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2008, 03:16 AM   #1
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Cold Air

We had a bit of a cold snap the other day with a brisk wind..We were not using the furnace but could feel a slight cold breeze coming thru the registers,...How would air pressure be able to get into a closed system?? If there is a gap in a connection am I going to have to drop the underbelly to find it???

Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:37 AM   #2
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Do you have a vent that leads into the underbelly? Some Montanas do, Not sure about Mountaineers, but that could be a source.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:06 AM   #3
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
If you look at the hole throught the frame were the hydraulic cylinders are connected to the slide you will see a 3 inch hole, time the amount of slides. That coupled with the way the under belly is fastened to the frame leaves a fairly large breezeway for air penertration into the underbelly and up throught the heat registers and the return air grille. Try turning on the fantastic fan with no windows or other vents open, it pulls air from where ever is available, on cold days that can freeze you out.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 05:11 AM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have found the same thing, also we have found that after sitting for a week or so the slides seem to leak air around the bottom. We had to run north in the truck for 10 days for a memorial service and other family functions and when we returned the rig was pretty breezy around the floor area. After we refilled the propane cylinders and got the furnace back online I was walking around in bare feet and could feel a cold wind around the bases of the slides. I hit the "Extend" buttom for the slides and all four slide bottoms moved out about an inch and resealed. It appears that the hydraulics had leaked down a bit and the bottoms of all the slides had settled inward just a bit. This seem to fix the floor wind problems and it warmed up quite a bit. There are still a few tiny wind leaks but it is very manageable. So if your rig has been sitting for awhile you might try running the slides out tight against the stops... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:55 AM   #5
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Will try those fixes...I have two fantastic fans so both wil create a good suction and I should be able to narrow it down....thnaks
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote