Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2008, 03:52 AM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Slide awnings

Having been in NW AZ now for over a month we have had some strong winds up to 60mph, and after listening to the awning flapping on the slideouts I thought for sure thery were going to get ripped off. On 2 different evenings we had to put the slides in which saved the awnings I'm sure. Not sure if I would have them again in the future. Dosen't take much wind to get them to flapping and they are noisy.
Allen

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:45 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Yep -

gets a little cramped in there with the slides in.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 04:54 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ya, they are a blessing and a curse.

In 5 years in the Rio Grande Valley and its infamous wind, we have not had to pull the slides in. YET!!!! Came close a time or two, and had friends that did so. Can be a curse.

But, other places, home in Michigan, fall camping, winter packing, every place BUT the RGV, we love em. Can be the blessing.

For us, just our opinion and feelings on it, they are worth the blessings, and we try to ignore the curses.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We pulled the slides in a couple of times but it was because the wind was getting under the slides and lifting that side of the rig. The toppers do flap in heavy winds but so far no damage due to wind on this Montana or our 2003 Montana. We may have been lucky but I think they handle the wind better than we'd think. Still, it never hurts to be cautious about it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 01:43 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
On the old RV Today show, one of the DIY segments featured a styrofoam block placed under the awning to prevent snow accumulation. This might work to quell the flapping also. They just placed a LARGE piece of 3" or 4" (whatever it takes) thick styrofoam block the entire width and length of the slideout. I suppose they just put it inside when traveling, since the slideout is usually out whenever not travelling.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 05:26 AM   #6
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
I saw a gentleman once who had long ropes which he threw over the awnings and then had bungee cords that he used to connect them to the bottom of the large slide; on the smaller slides he simply brought the two ends of the rope together under the slide and then used bungee cords to connect the two ends (had loops tied into the ends of the of the ropes to connect the cords to. Kept the toppers from flapping. I spoke to him a bit and he said he had tried beach balls (blew out), foam of various sizes and shapes, etc. but the ropes were the easiest to put on, held on (didn't blow away) and created less storage problem. Only thing he did say was that he was thinking of using strapping (going with 2 or 3 inch wide nylon or similar straps) because they would give more fabric on the edges of the toppers -- said he felt he was beginning to see some wear on the fabric from the ropes.....

That all said, we've had to pull in our slides twice while visiting ABQ - KOA sits right in line with the winds coming out of the canyon and in the evening they do make those things flap. First time we thought they were going to tear off from the 5er, the 2nd time we did it just for 'safety sake'; we were going to be gone and didn't want to risk any damage..
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Our toppers shook us quite a bit in Corpus last Decemmber. Saw a couple with the ropes across. I'll use a flat strap to keep the rope from cutting the fabric. Rope directly across the topper could be like a pull string to open a pet food bag and rip the topper.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:49 AM   #8
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Wayne: Don't know that the rope would have enough pressure to tear them but then again, why chance it. I remember seeing some wide strapping fabric somewhere in the distant past, now just need to find it again....
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #9
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
While in Virginia Beach over Christmas I bought a whole role of 1 inch nylon from Jo Ann fabrics. I got it because the large slide topper flapped alot. I just tossed it over the topper and tied a loop on each end and used a short bungee to hook them to Command Hooks that I stuck to the sides of the slide. When the wind stops or gets to a moderate level I unhook and stow it in the basement. It also helps run water off the topper like a wick. I don't tighten it so tight that it stretches the fabric, just tight enough to dampen the flapping. When it is time to pull in the slides I snatch the command hooks off and close things up. Very easy and inexpensive. This worked great at Mayport which can get right nasty with wind and did while we were there... Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 04:57 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, what are Command Hooks?
Old 02-19-2008, 05:09 AM   #11
5ER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #90
I like the idea of using fabric straps. Maybe they could have velcro on the ends? Our slide awnings had to be replaced due to delaminating. Maybe if I would have kept them from flapping they would have lasted longer.
5ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I bought a 20 ft "tow strap" and some bungie cords to use on the main slide on our 3400. I believe it is about 2 1/2 inches across. Used it once so far. Seemed to work well. As soon as the high wind danger is passed, I took it off.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:24 AM   #13
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
I just posted a note on another thread (ordering with or without toppers) regarding our topper situation. In a nutshell, we are having to replace the longest topper on our 3585SA because it has ripped along one edge and developed several pinpoint holes and frayed areas throughout the surface. Actually, our dealer is replacing the awning at no cost to us because our rig is relatively new--not quite 7 months old.

We get regular winds and wind gusts from the north, south, and west--but only the long topper is damaged.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 09:28 AM   #14
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I don't think we'll ever have slide awnings again. A couple nights ago, we had 30-40 mph winds all night long. I thought we might take flight any time. BTW, this was after I built supports to slide under the toppers. I used 1" pvc for the supports. It helps during normal wind, but I don't think anything short of taking the toppers off will eliminate the problem.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 11:51 AM   #15
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well it wasn't just the wind noise but water pooling on the long slide. We had them on two out of 3 5er's but this one we just got doesn't have them and I don't think I will ever have them. I do carry a small gas powered leaf blower and if we are under trees we will just blow the slides off. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 03:36 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
David,
I believe what you did is the recommended procedure to stop flapping in winds. The straps will be my next purchase along with some bungees
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Water pooling on the toppers doesn't hurt them other than it can discolor the top surface if there is also dirt in the pool. When the topper sags because of water it just pulls more material off the roller. We've had water, snow, and ice on ours and it didn't hurt them. The wind is more of a problem for us but so far we've not had damage from the wind. I'm still going to get some straps just to have them if I need them. We will always have toppers on ours. I guess this comes down to individual preferences.