Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-18-2007, 01:52 AM   #1
PowellsMonty
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1967
Rust dripping from basement doors

When it rains I have dirty water/rust? dripping out of the bottom of the outside beasement doors from the drain holes at the bottom of the doors thst stains & drips down the unit. Common? Solution?

PowellsMonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:29 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Mike I noticed dirty water on the bottom of my doors when I opened them. I think it is just dirt that washes down from the roof and sides, the heavier dirt collects there and doesn't wash away. Clean the streaks with Fantastic? the stuff from the Dollar store. I think it is common. But a clean roof, and sides will probably equate to a clean door area.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 02:54 AM   #3
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
We have had the same, and have noticed de-lamination on the curb side storage door.

Solution, none, yet. Company that makes the doors for Keystone was contacted, cannot make a replacement door without the Filon, etc from Keystone. Keystone told us to contact the manufacturer of the doors.

Probably (?????) could order replacement from dealer. Our dealer is less than stellar, so, have not gone that route so far.

So, it sits.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:08 AM   #4
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Carol,

I have talked with the Nappanee factory several times, and you are right, they simply will not do business direct.

We were trying to get hi-gloss doors to replace our existing. Keystone was overloaded and would not sell them as parts either, even though the Big Sky came out with the same hi-gloss door a few months later. May all be resolved now, we haven't tried.

They did refer me to a distributor - RV Surplus, that can order doors from Nappanee - but it seemed too risky to me for the kind of money they want.

I did have the rust on my doors for the 2003 Monty. Somewhere the water was getting in contact with the steel frame, or else there were some steel screws used somewhere in the path. I never found it.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 04:38 AM   #5
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Our previous TT (Trail-Lite by R-Vision) suffered that on the front storage compartment door. It was determined to be the adhesive used to hold the insulation/building board to the Filon cover. Ours persisted from the get-go until we sold the unit with the only problem being, keeping it clean. Water put it there and water removed it. The only remedy I can suggest is, prevent the intrusion of water to the inside of the door. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:05 AM   #6
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
We have noticed this too, usually after washing or a rain. I have been meaning to apply a thin bead of sealant around the locker door frame to keep water out. Now that I read about delamination problems, I think I will bump this project up "to-do" list.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote