Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2007, 02:39 AM   #1
Allen in MT
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7615
Dang critters

Well after 4 rv and my 2nd Monty I thought I had one that was mouse proof. my 3400rl was doing fine until this weekend when it appears that at least one got in as he was every where. I did find 2 very large holes where the hot water tank is. Don't know why they have to cut such big holes to run a couple little pipes in. Anyway I foamed them shut and hopefully got the problem fixed. Anybody else having the mouse problems and any other holes I should be looking for or suggestions.
Allen in MT

Allen in MT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:09 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Well we feel your pain. We also have mouse problems. We have traps set in different locations on the out side of the Cambridge. It does take out some of them. However living in the country (45 minutes from Wally World) we will just have to combat the mouse world.

Our most costly problem has been the dirt dobber. Our front A/C had developed a vibration. I remove the cover (bird cage) and couldn't find a problem. After looking in most ever place that I could see, I couldn't find the problem. Well took it to CW and in about 10 minutes the tech came and said it had no vibration now. The dirt dobber cost me a $100.00 and a 200 mile round trip. The tech said most all vibrations are cause by the dirt dobber. Oh well life is good... GBY.....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:02 AM   #3
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Delaine and Lindy,

Did you buy those expensive screens?...think CW wanted $20 for each!

I got a tip from the MOC. For ~$6, from Lowe's, I bought a piece of the fiberglass screen 4' x 8', cut it to size and re-screwed them over the holes.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:31 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We feel your pain as well, it's VERY upsetting to have this happen and we do feel that Keystone needs to do a better job in this area, be prepared to spend several hours solving this. Our problems started last month at this time on our seasonal lot at the lake with the squirrels starting to nest and store away their pine cones. Now that we have closed up ALL those holes we hope we have mouse proofed as well. You need to get under your 3400 with foam and/or steel wool and stuff any holes or cracks you can find and there are many, especially around were the leaf springs attach to the frame. We also pop riveted plastic to cover up the large open areas around our front landing gear and the rear telescoping jacks. Don't think mice can get in your trailer from these areas BUT they were great nesting areas for the squirrels with their pine cones. ALSO if you don't want critters to get into the underbelly where they may enter the hot tank area you need to stuff some steel wool around the cylinders of the 3 slide mechanisms where they enter your I beam frame. There is a large hole to be found on all three, bedroom excluded. Just remember to remove that stuffed material before you operate your slides. P.S. We also foamed those same two holes. Good luck!!!
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:42 AM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had a problem of mice getting into the coach a few years ago. I had my dealership add a bunch of screws to the underbelly anywhere I could get my hand through. I also placed bounce under every piece of furniture, in every drawer, and in every cabinet. I heard mice hate the smell of bounce. Have not had a mouse problem now in two full years. I also have those little sonic plug in gizmos that are supposed to drive mice away by using high frequency. Not sure if they work or not, but figured it sure cant hurt to try them.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
we use bounce and the sonic varmint things also. never had a problem yet! except for those darn lady bugs .... they find their way into everything. with the fields being harvested, the bugs are headed out!
mamashappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Ronda

Those are no LADY bugs!

They are orange, Oriental something or other, someone told me the right name, cannot remember it of course!

They bite, the smell when squished, they are eewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwie!

Aren't real LADY bugs red??
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #8
mamashappy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7633
you are right, nothing ladylike about those annoying beetles. i think they are asian beetles. we keep things sprayed to keep them at bay as much as possible. they just seem to think they are welcome everywhere, and despite being one of God's creatures, i have been hard pressed to find a redeeming value in them. maybe someone has a more knowledge than me on their value .
mamashappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Delaine and Lindy

[snip]

Our most costly problem has been the dirt dobber. Our front A/C had developed a vibration. I remove the cover (bird cage) and couldn't find a problem. After looking in most ever place that I could see, I couldn't find the problem. Well took it to CW and in about 10 minutes the tech came and said it had no vibration now. The dirt dobber cost me a $100.00 and a 200 mile round trip. The tech said most all vibrations are cause by the dirt dobber.

[/snip]
Please explain dirt dobber...this is a new term for me.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 02:21 AM   #10
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Allen in MT

Well after 4 rv and my 2nd Monty I thought I had one that was mouse proof.
After 4 RVs you should have figured out by now that nothing's "mouse proof". They are like little burglars - if they want in bad enough, they're gonna' get in !! I've "foamed" their opening at my daughter's house (we all live in the country) and they just chewed through the foam !! We have to keep traps and sticky traps set around at all times and that still doesn't always get them as early as we would like.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Dirt Dobber, kinda like a wasp, its black in color and can and will get into everything. They make a next out of dirt like mud. I have wire covers for the water heater and heat. Next year I will make a cover for the fridge. The Dirt dobber got into my front A/C and made a next of mud on the shaft and it made the A/C have a vibration. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #12
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Thanks...I don't think they have those around these parts, at least I haven't seen them and I've been working outside many years.

I learned something...
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #13
Silverbird
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5622
The Asian Beetles were brought into this country to eat the aphids that attack soybeans. We are from Minnesota and one of the worst incidents we have heard recently on these little critters is - someones well kept testing with bacteria in it, they treated it with clorox but did not help, so they blew out the well. There were 7 gallons of Asian Beetles came out!!!! In fact some friends of ours are having the same problem with their well and will be also blowing theirs out. It appears that if the cover on the well head has a small crack or lacking a gasket, this allows the beetles to get in.
Silverbird
Silverbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2007, 07:49 AM   #14
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
another thing on dirt daubers.....typically attacted to the smell of Propane. Having roost in the A/C is unusual. Typically the only things you need to screen are: furnace exhaust, grate into hot water heater, grates into fridge cooling fins.

On mice/other critteres we use as preventative measures:
1. bait blocks - if they go get in, they are gone before we really have a chance to notice.
2. mothballs in prescription bottles with holes drilled in lid (less messy that way and stay dryer.
3. electronic devices....like others don't know if they work but they don't hurt...but you have to have AC power avail.
4. Foamed opening after putting wire mesh/steel wool in place. Mice have no hesitation eating through the foam alone but will stop if they run into metal - hurts their little gums.

B ill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 01:18 PM   #15
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
We have found over the years that downy scented dryer sheets work well for mice. My wife puts them into every draw,cupboard, under furniture,mattress,etc: and have not had a problem in years.I put them in all my outside compartments,inside the tire covers. We live in the country also and used to fight them every year we stored it,either inside or out.It also smells nice when you open the door !!!
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2007, 04:58 PM   #16
Tiffensdad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7660
Only had one incident with squirrels. Made a nest on the fuel tank of my former MH and chewed through the wire... 80 gal tank. Full. Could not move rig..block to prevent siphoning...It was a nightmare. After the fix left bottles with mothballs on top of tank, glued in place...
Tiffensdad is offline   Reply With Quote