Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2014, 06:54 AM   #1
markpec

M.O.C. #14564
AC problem

Wife and I just bought a New 2013 Montana Big Sky Model 3750FL. The one with the Living room in the front of Coach.

We bought this last Oct when weather here in Florida was cooling down. At that time we noticed it was a bit warm in the front of this model but that became more evident as the Florida summer months came. The front and Kitchen has a 13500 BTU

We went back to Dealer many times and they said all is working OK but it is so uncomfortable in the front of this unit that we can't enjoy sitting in our living room. So to us it is not OK. We have fans constantly blowing to try and cool it down.

The back of this unit has a second AC unit 15000 BTU. it works fine and from the bathroom to the bedroom it is very cool.

I was wondering if any one has had this problem before with something similar and what you did to resolve. The Keystone company will not do anything their words are it was built as designed and the Dealer will not do anything they said the AC is working fine.. its either poor Duct work or poorly insulated. it is a all weather Coach. or at least that is what is advertised. We love this unit but we would love to sit in our living room more

markpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
When we had our 3750, we had to open the quick dump shutter on the kitchen area AC (it does require getting on a chair or step stool), this forced more air into the front area which we then supplemented by turning the ceiling fan on and having the fan rotation so that the air was forced down which seemed to push more air into the living room area. Another couple actually had an air conditioner installed in the vent above the front living room and from what I was told at a recent rally, rarely have to use the kitchen air conditioner now.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:57 PM   #3
Just148
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1043
I would check the a/c in the living area, sometimes the insulation get in the way of the duck work causing the air not to enter.
Just148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:29 AM   #4
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
If you try running only the LR AC to see if any airflow is coming from it, you'll be able to determine if there's a blockage. Also, like Bingo said, adjusting the vents on the big one can make a big difference.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:55 AM   #5
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
We installed a third AC on a 3750 before we satisfied the owners. In the front vent. Now they are very comfortable. PM slfaircloth.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 03:36 PM   #6
davidaf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13601
I have a rear LR but when the sun hits the back window it gets really uncomfortable but yet the front of the rig is nice and cool. Finally figured out if I keep the front fan on high it keeps the rear of the rig cooler. The front unit would turn off since it was a lot cooler up there so the airflow was cut down considerably. Maybe try the same? Turn the rear AC fan on high and see if it helps with the front of the unit.
davidaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 02:19 AM   #7
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
this may not be you situation but in one of montanas the bedroom was just not cooling. several times i had the A/C checked and each time they said the A/C was working fine.

But, finally, one repair shop identified the problem. the sensor on the ceiling for the themostat was tooooooo close (about 12 inches) to the A/C unit. We moved it further away and boy did that cool the room down. Take a look at where your sensor is.....
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:36 AM   #8
Captain Joe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10764
Had the same issue. Heat rises; therefore, the LR receives all the hot air. Like Bingo said, we opened the quick cool vent and turned on the fan, but we were still not satisfied. The quick cool vent is also very load and limits hearing the TV or casual conversations. Only option was to add a 3rd A/C, but we opted to trade it in and purchased a Non Front Living Room model instead.
Captain Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 07:28 PM   #9
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
This last week i finally figured out how to keep the FL Cooler. We have been in the 100's this week and Fl was not very comfortable in the afternoons. To supplement the air in the kitchen I have turned the temp for the bedroom air about 5* Lower than normal and it keeps the back ac running and sending more cool air through the ducts to the living room. As an added bonus when the outside temps start to drop the kitchen ac turns off and the bedroom runs which makes a quieter kitchen and living room.
DAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 02:22 AM   #10
Samiterry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13257
One other thought. I've noticed in our 3750 with the TV, Sat. Rec'ver, and the surround sound/DVD/Amplifier, the three of these electronic devices and any lights produce a large amount of heat that makes it hard for the A/C's to overcome.
Samiterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Install some dampered vents. You can better control where the most air is deployed in the rig.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:09 PM   #12
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Install some dampered vents. You can better control where the most air is deployed in the rig.

Do you have a name or link for these dampered vents?
Old 08-24-2014, 06:20 AM   #13
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
My dealer ordered mine. The are identical to what is in the rig. Only difference is they can be closed off in areas where you need less air. If you pop off one of the vents take it to any dealer or Camping World and they can get you the dampered ones. Very easy fix. No tools required.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 11:27 PM   #14
DAR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12658
Sounds like a great mod Thanks for the Info