Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2018, 05:15 AM   #1
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
Looking for overnight spots

We're heading west on I-80 and looking for overnight spots in Kansas and eastern Colo. Can anyone advise? Traveling to Colo. Springs July2-4.

hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:54 AM   #2
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
There’s a really great spot in Seneca, KS, but that may not be on your route. If you don’t have the Allstays app, it’s well worth the price. It lists every campsite, including fairgrounds, Kiwanis Club, Walmart, etc. It has reviews on it as well. I use it all the time.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I agree about Allstays App. Well worth the price.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Allstays can also point out low bridges
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:40 PM   #5
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickory View Post
We're heading west on I-80 and looking for overnight spots in Kansas and eastern Colo. Can anyone advise? Traveling to Colo. Springs July2-4.
If you are going on I-80 you won't be in Kansas or Colorado. Many camp grounds on I-70 through Kansas and Colorado.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:13 PM   #6
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Jim beat me to it! You won't find any campgrounds in KS if you are taking I-80. It runs through Iowa and Nebraska and not down in Kansas. There are a lot of campgrounds along the I-80 but just how far are you going each day and approx. where do you want to be each night? Do you want to stop along the way to see any of the tourist stops in IA or NE? All this has to be taken into consideration if I'm going to give you specific stops and campgrounds along the way. I can give you all kind of places to stay in Nebraska but I need to know where you will be at and the approx. dates. During these date it may be hard to find a campground because of the July 4th holiday week. Send me a PM and I'll get right back to you because you need to make reservations ASAP to get spots along the way. Also hoping that your tires are relatively new and that you do not have the OEM tires on your unit if you will be going cross country on the hot concrete. If they are original OEM tires and not G rated you may have problems along the way.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 10:37 AM   #7
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
heading to the Springs

Of course I-80 doesn't go into Kansas.............DUH!! we'll probably end up in Alberta or somewhere with map reading skills like that! We plan on leaving WI on July 2 and taking our time .Probably run 350 miles a day. We use Park Adviser with much success Also use Overnight Parking app. We're not opposed to Walmart if it's really necessary. Running on new (almost) 12 ply rubber. Thanks for the replies.
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:15 PM   #8
Tidwood

M.O.C. #15790
And while I'm late in posting, there are always Pilot/Flying J truck stops and Cracker Barrel restaurants. Both have free RV parking.
Tidwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #9
jhauck

M.O.C. #12137
Been doing this for many years. My go to was Walmart for a long time, or anywhere I feel safe. I don't really relish the idea of paying someone 50 bucks to sleep when I am going cross country. I do 3 to 5 months every year from Alabama to all the Western states. Now days I like to stay at Lowes. Normally, I will be the only 5th wheel on the lot. Lowes has a very good WIFI system at every store, unless that particular store has a glitch of some kind. Three years ago I had brake and tire problems north of Wenatchee, WA. Spent 3 or 4 days at the local Lowes doing my repair job. Bought supplies from Lowes and never had a problem staying in this convenient, safe location.
jhauck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #10
Garybricker
Established Member

M.O.C. #22150
Gary

If you get close to Cody Wyoming it’s worth the stop just for the Museum
Garybricker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:03 AM   #11
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
Minden

If you are truly heading out I 80, I’d highly recommend driving a few miles off the interstate and visiting Pioneer Village in Minden, NE. There is an attached campground. Amazing collection.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:57 AM   #12
Tcquilter

M.O.C. #19612
Avoid truck stops!

I would try to avoid truck stops for an overnight stay. I read an article the other day about truckers becoming very angry with what they refer to as “ civilians in RV’s” taking spaces in truck stops. Apparently, it is becoming more difficult for truckers to find places where they can spend the night, get a hot shower and a meal, and they are becoming extremely resentful of RVer’s with their fully contained rigs taking a spot because it’s free. Resentful to the point where they are deliberately hitting your slides when backing into the spot next to you.
Allstays app is well worth the $10!
Tcquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:21 PM   #13
PhilSki

M.O.C. #6345
Stops in Kansas

Our favorite overnite stop is the city park in Ellis, full hookups $15. A nice quite place
PhilSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:16 PM   #14
northern lights
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18757
Send a message via AIM to northern lights
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidwood View Post
And while I'm late in posting, there are always Pilot/Flying J truck stops and Cracker Barrel restaurants. Both have free RV parking.
We have a generator on our Montana. We pick a truck stop about 4:00, pull in for a good spot, run the AC and anything else as needed, cook and watch TV. Can't even hear the semis next to us. Even the reefers. Totally quiet as they drive by and shift gears too. But we do have three carbon monoxide detectors inside. Never a problem.
northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote