Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2020, 06:46 AM   #21
GreG L.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21993
Just to make sure everyone has the correct information, a Wet/AMG battery can only be taken down to 50% of it usable rating before it starts to decay, 50AH for a 100AH battery. A LiFe battery can be taken down to almost 100% of it's 100AH, 90% to be safe, new technology and all.

If I trade in this one for a new one I will swap the batteries, no use in giving away the investment.
This is not something for someone that doesn't dry camp allot, the cost is not worth the effort unless you are interested in the tech. The real savings comes in not having to replace batteries 3 or 4 or more times in 10 years, the ability to use all the batteries potential instead of half of it, the weight savings of 50% per battery and no off gas so you can put some under your couch or bed with no issues, AMG's do off gas.

GreG L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 08:41 AM   #22
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
Yeah we bought one of those %$&@ "start stop" pieces of *&^% and I am very angry about it. The sales rep. did not mention that the Ford Escape came with that GRRRRRRR......... and apparently from what I have read there is no way to permanently disable that ill conceived tree hugging stupidity! I guess the car manufactures are just desperate to do anything to look like they are environmentally friendly.

Some love it, I can't wait to shut it off via the dash button when I drive the Escape. You can disable it to a point by using the a/c, rear defroster or use the 'S' transmission position. I also came across this : https://www.autostopeliminator.com/p...top-eliminator. No clue if it's worth a hundred bucks but someone has thought they could fix it with a gizmo.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 11:24 AM   #23
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
It needs to be stressed that if you switch to Lithium you need to to also include thermal management, where as temps above 86f are not good for Lithium batteries as well as temps below 32f. For many of us that have batteries stored in external compartments in our 5er you need to add cooling or heating to that area to create that thermal management.

The good news is you can relocate your batteries to the interior of the RV where ambient temps can be managed.

Lithium while a great option (except for cost) can be very short lived if thermal management is not considered. an exterior compartment in 85 degree weather can exceed 120F which will likely damage Lithium batteries.

My point is swapping to Lithium is not as simple as replacing battery for battery.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #24
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
It needs to be stressed that if you switch to Lithium you need to to also include thermal management, where as temps above 86f are not good for Lithium batteries as well as temps below 32f. For many of us that have batteries stored in external compartments in our 5er you need to add cooling or heating to that area to create that thermal management.

The good news is you can relocate your batteries to the interior of the RV where ambient temps can be managed.

Lithium while a great option (except for cost) can be very short lived if thermal management is not considered. an exterior compartment in 85 degree weather can exceed 120F which will likely damage Lithium batteries.

My point is swapping to Lithium is not as simple as replacing battery for battery.

All of which begs the question - why would someone with a 5er want to use lithium batteries. Even here in Upstate NY our temps swing between negative numbers to close to triple digits.

As far as inside storage - none of the several 5ers or TTs I've owned haven't and now don't have living area temperature controlled space without sacrificing significant storage for necessities - and we travel light compared to most. Lithium are batteries also not needed for solar power as we had a small, 800 watt system on our last 5er with 2xFLA batteries that worked just fine

As said above, FLA or AGM batteries will work just fine for our needs. I don't feel the need to shell out a couple thousand bucks or more when tried and well proven technology worked for over a hundred years. If we had a mid 6 figure motor home, were full or long timers, then maybe I'd bite that box of bullets. The finaces and fragility just aren't there for me. Others - their choice
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:00 PM   #25
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
You make good arguments in favor of AGM over LFP except for one. Weight. Weight can be a real issue in an RV when you have to carry all your other stuff, food, toys clothing etc as well as several hundred lbs of batteries with AGM. One can easily exceed their CCC with a large enough battery bank especially when full timing. LFP on the other hand, are very light for what they deliver so it is an important alternative albeit expensive. As you say it depends on how long you will have the rig but also what you want to do with it.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 05:32 PM   #26
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
While people can have different opinions I’ve been driving Ford trucks since 2015 with start stop. In 2015 and 16 it was a big topic on the forum I visit, it isn’t talked about much now. Is start stop worth it? Maybe, might be. My 2.7 uses about a half gallon of fuel an hour. Is it worth it, you be the judge. After you use it a while you don’t notice it. The engine stops at a traffic light and starts with out you even realizing it happened. The only time I noticed it is on a very hot day and the fan slows when I’m enjoying that nice cool air. Then I hit the button to disable it. There are several ways to permanently disable it from kits like Dave said to using Forscan. Forscan will disable it and do much more. It will show actual engine temperatures and pressures instead of the idiot gages. Don’t let start stop worry you. It will be on many gasoline vehicles in the near future. I don’t think you will ever see it on a Diesel vehicle. Idling is where a diesel is most efficient and a gasoline engine is least effective.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 06:58 PM   #27
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffba View Post
That was for Jim
EVERYBODY is in the oil business in this part of the country. Even the environmentalists! But yeah I told him. You know me I'm proud to help supply energy to the rest of the country. Even if the don't appreciate it half the time.

Next time you crank that big ole diesel engine up to pull your Montana, Thank an oil field hand for making it possible!!!

Sorry I got off topic but sometimes the stupidity of things gets the best of me. Being forced to push a button to keep the engine from dying is one for sure! Having to push one for English would be another (especially when the person on the other end can barely speak the language).......I know I know I'll shut up now.......
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2020, 07:04 PM   #28
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Some love it, I can't wait to shut it off via the dash button when I drive the Escape. You can disable it to a point by using the a/c, rear defroster or use the 'S' transmission position. I also came across this : https://www.autostopeliminator.com/p...top-eliminator. No clue if it's worth a hundred bucks but someone has thought they could fix it with a gizmo.
I suspect at some point that "feature" is going to kill someone and it will probably take it to get them to stop using it. Its just a really dumb idea.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:13 PM   #29
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
EVERYBODY is in the oil business in this part of the country. Even the environmentalists! But yeah I told him. You know me I'm proud to help supply energy to the rest of the country. Even if the don't appreciate it half the time.

Next time you crank that big ole diesel engine up to pull your Montana, Thank an oil field hand for making it possible!!!

Sorry I got off topic but sometimes the stupidity of things gets the best of me. Being forced to push a button to keep the engine from dying is one for sure! Having to push one for English would be another (especially when the person on the other end can barely speak the language).......I know I know I'll shut up now.......
Yes and maybe you should thank the machine shop that build that big ole Diesel engine and everything else you use including the smart phone you use and the drilling equipment you use to get that oil out of the ground.
Lynwood
Old 01-21-2020, 07:25 PM   #30
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Yes and maybe you should thank the machine shop that build that big ole Diesel engine and everything else you use including the smart phone you use and the drilling equipment you use to get that oil out of the ground.
Lynwood
As always, respect to anyone who is or has been a contributing member of society!

I have spent my fair share of time working with folks in the machine shops.
Old 01-21-2020, 07:33 PM   #31
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
As always, respect to anyone who is or has been a contributing member of society!

I have spent my fair share of time working with folks in the machine shops.

We all haft to work together to make this country work. A machine shop without fuel wouldn’t be of any use. And thank the farmers who make it all possible.
Lynwood