Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2006, 03:15 AM   #41
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Well If we had to drive the Truck in our signature around as a everyday ride it would to me be a bit awkward.It is long and it is wide.It is rarely used for anything other than to tow a camper.My every day ride is a Honda Civic.Now everything we do is give and take and we have to choose the truck that will best suit our all around needs. Execpt for the diesel motor we got the biggest 1 ton truck we could find..It will tow anything in the Montana Line and then some.We need not worry about pin weight.Again I am no expert on any subject so I can't come up with any fancy figures to justify anything BUT it just seems to me that the wider you are in the rear and the more wheels on the ground the more stable you will be.Maybe that is too simple but it makes sense to me???.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 03:33 AM   #42
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I hear alot of you saying you can't get a dually in a car wash or Bank drive-in.
My Dodge 3500 is my everyday truck and I went through the Bank yesterday and I wash my truck at a local wash with no problems. Some Car washes even advertize dually's welcome.

They do turn longer than a standard truck. (No U-turns in the street) but I get in and out of anyplace I want.

One thing I like is the outside fenders are the same width as my 5er so if I can fit my truck through something I know the Monty will pass.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:07 PM   #43
Bill and Bobbi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5292
I had a picture of a suzuki grand vitara mini suv pulling a 1 ton dually that was stuck on wet but LEVEL ground. Unloaded they have less traction off road and on. If I had one it would have to be a 4x4. Also when unloaded you can hydroplane much easier, so you have to be very careful(especially in Fla cloudbursts). No doubt they can take the weight better. I use my 2500hd for more than a tv so thats a personal preference.
Bill and Bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #44
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
One thing I like is the outside fenders are the same width as my 5er so if I can fit my truck through something I know the Monty will pass. I never thought about that, But it's true..learn something every day...
Old 02-28-2006, 03:38 PM   #45
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I'm not a mechanic or an engineer, so the main reason I was interested in dual rear wheels was because my HOME (with all my possessions) will be towing along behind me. If I have a flat tire, I want control until I can stop safely. I think the dual wheels will give me that (in addition to more carriable weight, etc.) much more than single rear wheels.
Am I wrong in thinking this is a VERY important reason to have dual rear wheels?
Thanks for any input.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 11:16 PM   #46
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Rich & Helen; You commented about if the fenders go through, the Monty will. I use the same approach with the mirrors on my truck. The difference is, if I am wrong, I can fold the mirrors in. It's harder than hell to fold in the fenders in. I have seen it done, though.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 02:24 AM   #47
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Bob..I hear that.But Dannyl mentioned the fender thing and I had never thought about that.Now you mention the mirrors on the truck..I will have to put the tape measure on that (05 F-350 Ford) I know that the mirrors on my previous TV stuck out way farther than the TT and I had to fold them in more that once to squeese through. Folding the fenders in is not a good thing.As for the dual rear wheel issue the only justification that I needed to get them was because I wanted them...and that's that...
Old 03-01-2006, 02:48 AM   #48
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Richfaa,

You're absolutely correct with the justification "that's what I wanted". My friend has a dually, I have the SRW and were both happy. Of-course, we both think were right. The bottom line is we are all individuals with different opinions and see different needs and concerns regarding the TV and it use in our daily lives. As I've said many times - its your money spend it as you like and answer to nobody.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #49
Bill and Bobbi
Established Member

M.O.C. #5292
I agree with Steve. We are truly blessed to have so many choices! I've had a rear flat while towing and it wasn't fun but was managable. I hope I never have a front blowout while towing! It's not much fun to change tires at all but it's not easy to change an inside dual that's flat either(good time for a road service if they show up in a timely fashion). One note on tires-the duals have less weight per tire so they last "longer" but when they do need replaced you are buying 4 instead of 2,pretty much evens out in the long run. And rotating your tires is not the same since they are usually a different size on the front than the rear. Again more choices...decisions-decisions
Bill and Bobbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2006, 12:14 PM   #50
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm. My tires are the same size all the way around. We have never owned a dually before, Are they normally different sizes on the front than the rear or does Ford do something different..
Old 03-01-2006, 06:43 PM   #51
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Bubba's tires are also the same all around.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 07:55 AM   #52
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Mine are the same size all around.
I wanted a truck that would pull and haul anything I wanted from 5er to Cattle trailer to bumper pull when I want to.
Also big round bales of hay or just pulling up fence posts.
Mine does alot more than pull my home on wheels.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:59 AM   #53
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Rich:
Measuring the width of the front mirrors makes alot of sense.
I just found out the mirrors are just wider than my fenders.
If my mirrors pass I'm not worried about folding my fenders.

From my previous post I was indicating going down the road, mainly through construction areas, that if my truck passed, the Monty would also.

Happy camping and enjoy what ever you have.
Old 03-02-2006, 01:02 PM   #54
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
When we traded our 2001 Dodge 2500 for a new truck in 2003 we opted for the Dodge 3500 dually. I noticed a real difference in the stability of the truck/Monty combination. I would have never said anything was wrong when we had the 2500 but the 3500 dually was better. Glenda drives the truck into the city for work occassionally and has no concerns with it. In parking lots we look for the spots a little farther away from the door. The walk does us good.

So...no regrets
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #55
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Longwell

I'm not a mechanic or an engineer, so the main reason I was interested in dual rear wheels was because my HOME (with all my possessions) will be towing along behind me. If I have a flat tire, I want control until I can stop safely. I think the dual wheels will give me that (in addition to more carriable weight, etc.) much more than single rear wheels.
Am I wrong in thinking this is a VERY important reason to have dual rear wheels?
Thanks for any input.
Larry
Larry, it probably would provide stability if one rear tire goes flat but to tell the truth when we've had flats with Montana in tow I've never even felt a wiggle. So while it might provide a comfort level I'm not sure there's a problem there to be solved. Just an opinion based on a lot of miles with a single rear wheel.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 04:53 AM   #56
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Yesterday, did some 'informal' looking around some parking lots and it appears that all dually tires are the same size front and rear. That said, I know that I have seen where the fronts were larger than the rears -- but for the life of me, didn't find any on this little sorty. Could it be that they are different once you get into the 450 (4500) class and above?
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:40 AM   #57
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
The tires may be the same size, but are the rims interchangeable front to rear? I don't have a dually but have wondered if the spare rim will work in either location?
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 02:23 PM   #58
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
The rims on Bubba are completely interchangeable....
Old 03-03-2006, 05:05 PM   #59
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
When are we going to get to see a new picture of your Cambridge and GMC?? I am dying to see it...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:30 AM   #60
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
Actually, I took a bunch but they are still in the camera and it is out at my hanger for a project. Going flying today so will try to remember to retrieve camera and get a post up this weekend. You must realize, that is a lot to remember at almost 66 years. Maybe I can get Victoria to remind me. Now all I have to do is remember to remind her to remind me. Oh heck, she's still sleeping. now, what was that again? Oh yah, let the dogs out, get the paper and make some breakfast -- I think...