Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-22-2005, 02:47 AM   #21
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
It would be nice if we could come up with some 'standardized format, size and location for the number. That way, you would know exactly where to look in the brief instant when you were passing another Montana. Maybe Montana would provide them for all Montana owners to use or not?

snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:17 AM   #22
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
A really good idea! When we had the Roadtrek we belonged to FMCA--with a number somewhere in the upper 200,000's on our badge. Think that we would be happy to put numbers on the Monty from the MOC.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 09:58 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The numbers on our present camper are regular address numbers that we got at Wallmart..Two inch by two inch.It is not important, as someone else mentioned, that you may not be able to see them while traveling down the road at 60MPH.If you are both doing 60MPH in opposite directions that is a closing speed of 120MPH.They are great identifiers at campgrounds or whatever or if you come up on another member traveling in the same direction.Also could be a money maker for the forum..do some creative thinking on this subject and perhaps the forum can support itself and then some.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 10:21 AM   #24
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
I don't think there would be any expense involved to MOC as John Kohl provided a link in an earlier post under this topic to access the members profile utilizing an ID number.

As far as standards for size and placement location of numbers I'm sure there are a lot of different opinions. My thoughts are 4"-6" high letters/numbers placed on the lower left rear and the left front (driver's sidewall) corner. They'd be seen when approaching from the rear or possibly passing in the opposite direction. I think I'd use a vinyl type decal that could be removed when the rig was replaced. Other suggestions welcome.

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:25 PM   #25
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Had numbers years ago when we were in a formal camping club, believe the numbers were about 5 inches tall. They went on front left top and opposite back top. They were a combo of dark blue or black and gold. One color always pealed off first, but you could still see the imprint it left, or discoloration, from the sun.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 02:25 PM   #26
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Right now there is not an automatic link to a members number. That is what I'm talking about on the programing side. Yes you can do what John says but it could also be programed where you just put in the 4 digit number and the profile would come up. Rich echoed my thoughts about trying to see this traveling down the highway at 60 mph. I thought it would be useful if you see one parked. I can barely identify a TV when we pass head to head at 50 mph so I'm sure not going to be able to read a number. Besides so many of the interstates are divided by quite a few feet between the two ways so it is hard to see the opposing traffic.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:13 PM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I don't know how much trouble it would be to do a software patch that would bring up the members ID.Webmaster might be able to answer that and I know we have some software folks in the forum that may be able to help. MOC may be able to publish a member ID list or provide the standard ID number decals, maybe charge 4 or $5.00 for a package..I note there are over 3,000 MOC members..crunch those numbers..Might even get Keystone/Montana to help out...good PR for them...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 04:13 PM   #28
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
Personally I don't think we want Montana to get too involved in this forum. I was under the impression when I first got on here that it was for Montana Owner's. I guess most are but not all. It seems that you would have to own a Montana to have a number. Just my opinion.
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 05:38 PM   #29
Montana_1197
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1197
I asked this same question of RVLADY some time ago. She didn't know, as members come and go, if the number stays the same. She also knew of no way to get a "list" of members by the MOC number. But she says if we wanted to play around with it and come up with a procedure and plan that would be great. But it is a dandy idea. For decals the best ones are the ones that truckers use. We had the name of our trailer (Baby) done almost 4 years ago and it still looks new. It was done on a computer and is in script.
Montana_1197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 06:53 PM   #30
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
It looks like the numbers may be assigned automatically as new members join. I just checked the ID numbers of the nine people that joined 8/22 and the numbers assigned are consecutive, 4439-4447. However, these figures don't match those posted under the Where We Are From and Statistics topic.

Why did I start this?
Old 08-22-2005, 08:32 PM   #31
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
So Don there have been some members who are no longer members. I don't think that is a problem. The program could be written to only access current members. I know this can be done. I wish I had kept up with programming. But it was so boring!
Happy trails.......................
Old 08-23-2005, 06:36 AM   #32
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The number appears to be a consecutive number assigned at the time of registration. Mine (MOC 20) has not changed since the beginning despite the coming and going of numerous members. However, I don't think there's a guarantee the numbers will not change.

If someone has the webspace, time, and willingness to do this, it could be a matter of a simple text file put on a website with a link posted here somewhere. We could all keep that link in our Favorites. As members put numbers on their rig they could notify the keeper of the list who would add it to the text file. We could each download the text file. I'd probably keep a copy on my laptop. When I see a Montana with a number I'd check my copy. If not there I'd click the link in my favorites and download the current version of the file. This would not take you to the member's profile but it would tell you who it is and you could look up the profile later. We also could check our laptop copy when not in a place where we have an internet connection.

Just a thought. This might need to be handled by someone who has a consistent connection rather than one of us on the road frequently.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 09:02 AM   #33
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Good idea Steve. A simpler solution instead of trying to program this site. But who?
Happy trails...............
Old 08-23-2005, 09:56 AM   #34
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
I must be dumb today, but I can't seem to find my number--I can't see one on the profile. can some nice sole help me out and tell me how to find this "number"
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:02 AM   #35
ronstan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1536
You are # 2780 Right click on your user name and then click properties. That will bring up your number
ronstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 10:05 AM   #36
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Thanks, that was pretty simple. that is what i like about this technology, makes you feel real stupid sometimes.
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2005, 11:06 AM   #37
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Steve,

I think your right about the numbers not changing. I'm not sure there is a way to opt out of the site once a person is signed up, so maybe once assigned the number just stays assigned to that individual forever?

I sure didn't intend to create a lot of work or expense for anyone when I brought this subject up. You all have good suggestions, and I thank you for them, but programing is way beyond my capabilities. So, in the interim I've put the link provided by John in favorites and will replace the numbers with those I'm trying to identify.

Just consider me a simple minded guy looking for a simple solution!

Don
Old 08-24-2005, 08:07 AM   #38
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Just noticed the MOC ID number in the left column next to the member's ID...great idea.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:11 AM   #39
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Just noticed it also. Someone knew what they were doing.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2005, 08:17 AM   #40
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
COOL!!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote