Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Thanks Keystone for the frame repair

We have been dealing with frame problems similiar to Doug Henry's for about a year. A dealer in Michigan took $90 from us last summer and told us nothing was wrong. After arriving in Arizona in Dec. we stopped at Beaudry in Tucson where they said yes there's definitely a problem and installed a repair kit courtesy of Keystone. This did not solve the problem so we stopped by the factory service center on the way back to Michigan. We talked to Darrell who confirmed there was still a problem and scheduled us for repairs. We were there Monday and Tuesday and were totally impressed by the people there.Darrell,George and everyone we came in contact with was so courteous and friendly. They removed the front cap and underside of the overhang and repaired the frame,did some extra welding back in the LP areas, removed the bedroom slide and updated the seals,added a strain relief similiar to the lower left on the upper right,tested it for leaks and a few other odds and ends. We were totally impressed with the way we were treated and want to thank Keystone for the fine service and for standing behind their product like this. It just doesn't get much better.

8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Charlie, I am glad to hear that all is well with your Montana now. I have an appointment on Sept. 6 at the Pendleton, Or. factory for the repairs of mine and we are hoping that we get the good treatment that you and others have had at the Indiana factory. Ever since you and I talked about the bedroom slide being out of square at the Minden rally I have been thinking about it. When the fiberglass cracked is when I started worrying about it. I am really happy with Keystone in the way they have been handling my problem. They could have easily said I am sorry but you are out of warranty, but they did not and they authorized an inspection and then immediately authorized me to take it to one of there factories.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
This is great news I may or may not have the same problem, just am not sure yet we were fine when we left Texas but after getting here noticed a small spot on the curb side that is seperated and bent. The one thing that I think it could be is that our ladder that was in the back of the truck on that side blew out and could have hit the Montana on that side. I was amazed that there was no damage to the truck or the side of the Montana except that we found this little spot and after reading your post made me worry about it. I know from first hand experance that Keystone has been great with dealing with problems.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Nice to see these positive posts, guys. Glad that you're getting your rigs fixed. We are always checking our 2004 for similar problems and haven't noticed anything obvious YET.

Linda, I'm glad that you didn't experience more damage from your flying ladder. That said, I would like to take this opportunity to admonish everyone to securely tie down their ladders. Glen had ours secured with bungee cords until I reminded him of the fatality that our town experienced from a construction ladder that fell off a truck. The young man was supposed to graduate from college that very same weekend. So sad.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 03:34 AM   #5
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Great posting. Sure would like to get to the factory someday.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:10 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have had only positive experience when talking or dealing with Montana at any level. Of course we have never had a camper "trouble" but the co-operative attitude exibited by all we have talked to , and there have been many, is encouraging. We have been to the Montana plant three times and the Sprinter plant one time, Not to mention , the Coachman, Nu-Wa, Jayco, Forest river plants So when we say the Montana is the best bang for the buck we know of what we speak. It is worth a "plant tour" vacation for those that live some distance away.There is plenty to do in that area although once you start touring the plants you will be hooked.As we have said before the Montana plant is not in production during tour times. It is a interesting tour but not the best one. The Sprinter plant IS in production during the tour and here you begin to understand your Camper!! as we recall all of the other plants were in production during the tour and it will become evident why although the workforce and assembly methods are similar there can be a great difference in the construction of the camper. ( no camera's were allowed on the Coachman tour...wonder why???)For those attending the fall rally and have NOT been to the factory..do not miss the Sprinter and Montana tours..they are both on the same day.1 hour apart.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 04:25 AM   #7
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Doug,
I am really surprised how quickly your frame went from maybe to real bad. I thought when we looked at your slide it was just beginning but my frame was nowhere near as bad underneath as yours. It is my understanding that later 04's had some structural changes so this may not be a problem on the newer units.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 08:19 AM   #8
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
It's good to hear about the positive experiences. So far we've not had any problems with the Montana, but our in person experience with Montana customer service in Goshen last year was good and we obtained what we needed. Looking forward to the tour during the fall rally as our schedule didn't mesh with the tour schedule last year.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 11:36 AM   #9
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Well our equipment is much older than most, our Montana is a 1999 and we bought it used last year so who knows where it has been or how many miles it has been tugged around. When we left Georgia in March, all was well. In Fort Saint Johns, Canada, about 10,000 miles later, we had a cracked wheel (rim) and found that the frame was cracked between the axles, on both sides. Had no choice but to have the frame filled, drilled and patched and we bought a white painted steel rim that of course doesn't match the aluminum ones. So far that is all the trouble we've had with the trailer. We continue to watch.

For those of you have have a few years on your Montana, may be a good idea to check the frame. We used a flashlight on the opposite side of the frame and could see the light through at the two cracks.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 07:51 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Just another story that makes me happy I own a Keystone Montana.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:45 PM   #11
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
Virgil and Jo,

We too have a 1999 Montana that we bought used in 2003. I was informed (I think by Lightening Jack) that there was a recall notice for frame reinforcement and I followed it up and found out this was true. Montana sent the kit to my dealer (Keystone but not Montana!) who installed it for free. You might talk to Keystone about getting a rebate for your work. Our Montana has performed perfectly since we got it and my only problem is that we seem to have developed a small crack at the front bottom corner of the bedroom slide. This isn't unusual and I hear that lots of people have had it repaired for free by Montana although we have only been offered $325.00 toward the repair by Steve Crouch at Montana. Once we get the Montana out of the pasture and back on the road I'll talk to my dealer about the crack.

Good luck with yours! BTW, what model Montana do you have?
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 07:33 PM   #12
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Jim,

Thanks you very much for the info on the frame cracks. When we get home I'll follow up.

We have a 3555RL and we like it. It has the cracks at the corners of the slides that you mentioned but they don't seem to be getting any bigger.

We got a used fiver because we were not sure that we wanted what we wanted or if we were going to enjoy this lifestyle. I think we are now addicted. I suspect that when we trade, we'll get another Montana, probably the 3400RL.

Thanks again for sharing your information.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #13
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
We are just now trying to sell our log house that we built with sweat and blood (mostly mine) about 28 years ago. We intend to build a smaller low maintenance home on our back two acres and hope to head south come the winter of 2007-2008. If we can get enough money out of this sale we hope to buy a 3400 RL before we leave on that trip. In the meantime, we love our 3350RS and have had no problems with it. When I read about the problems people have with some of the newer ones I sometimes wonder if Montana was trying harder in those early days.

Good luck!
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:03 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Charlie, I'm glad to hear they got you fixed up. Your experience was very similar to ours. Great group of people who really care about doing a good job. And they do.

Doug and Sharon, here's an idea.... just make an appointment for yours at the service center in Goshen, for September, then just come on over to the Fall rally when they're done!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 06:30 AM   #15
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Jim,
Junny how 'great' minds think alike! Miss Jo and I have been talking about selling that part of our land where the house is, moving down the hill and building a shelter, storage room, septic, etc. and just pulling the fiver there when we want to "nest" for a few weeks. We keep asking each other why we have a house. Sure wish I had taken one of these trips before we built the retirement house. Oh well, we live and learn.