Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2013, 05:24 AM   #1
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
To LED or not to LED.....

If you have been "sittin on the fence" trying to decide whether to go the LED route like we were, all I can say is jump off the fence and do it! After selling the condo, we are starting our full time adventure in the Montana and we couldn't be happier with Michael and Kat's http://www.filamentfree.com Led's. We just placed order #2 and the entire interior is done on the 12 volt side! The quality of the light is AWESOME! Super product and super service! They are definitely doing it right!

kampk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:21 AM   #2
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Send a message via MSN to Rainer
I also just converted all my 12v lights to LED, just as I had on my previous travel trailer. I am able to see the 12v amperage draw inside the Monte via the solar instrumentation. When I turned on the old incandescent lights one could really see the draw, but now with the LED's it barely registers!

I used a Chinese supplier who I had used previously from eBay. Great pricing and fast delivery.

If you only do one modification to your Montana and you also expect to dry camp, this is the one to do.
Rainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
LED's are the next on the TDL right after I get done installing the new solar panel system in the rig. All the parts are ordered and should be arriving in the next couple of weeks from Northern Arizona Wind & Sun, then the fun begins!
Now it is like waiting for Christmas to open the presents!
Old 05-20-2013, 12:28 AM   #4
leemedic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13354
We went LED just for the heat aspect. We live in Florida and camp here so every bit of heat we can eliminate we do so. Those incandescent lights get very hot.
leemedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:53 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
We did it for all the above reasons. The heat issue is bigger than most people realize. As you did, Alan and Linda, we stuck a toe in and then, seeing the difference, with the whole rig.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
CATCRAW
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11243
We switched to LED's last Fall and had the Monty out for the first time last week since the switch - WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Thanks Michael & Kat for the great product!!!!
CATCRAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have LED's by the recliners, but am not sold on them. I think the incandescant bulbs are 400 lumens and the best you get from LED is 320. With my old eyes, I need more light, not less. I have looked everywhere for higher output LED's but to no avail.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #8
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Well folks....all I can say is wow! We decided why wait until the solar system is up and running to get the new LEDs and we are glad we did not wait!
The best part besides the fact the new lights work great is dealing with Michael and Kat and their website.....JUST PLAIN AWESOME!
We placed our order on Tuesday and recieved everything yesterday. It took me a grand total of 30 minutes to change out every bulb. The light so much better and brighter....and cooler and they are MADE IN THE USA!.....sorry no Chinese products here please.....no matter how much cheaper they could be....

THANK YOU Michael and Kat.....Pleasure doing business with you......:-)!

Les

Old 05-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #9
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
I have replaced all of my bulbs with LED's from Michael. One of the best mods I have done. More light, better light, cooler light, 1/10 power used, and virtually no maintenance. Don't get better than that.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #10
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
How many times can I say DITTO before I get into trouble?! We too switched our entire rig over to Michael & Kat's LEDs and we LOVE it!!! It has been the best modification we have ever done! The trailer is cooler, brighter, and we use a lot less power to run them. We can turn every light on and still be using less wattage than 6 of the old bulbs! Tom, I am surprised they weren't bright enough for you but I totally understand the needing more light. I don't like shadows! Although the LEDs are less lumens they appear brighter. We put one on one side of a two sided fixture and left the old bulb in the other side. There was a noticeable difference between the light output.

Michael & Kat were a real treat to work with! Their website was amazing AND the shipping was super fast! So glad we did it! Now we just need to get our solar panels installed and could boondock forever!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 07:08 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I know nothing about LED lighting.. So what does it cost, roughly, to change over every bulb in a Montana to LED, 12v and 110v?

I know there are all kinds of justifications, I've already read about that in this forum. What I haven't seen is what it would cost to change out all the bulbs. Let's say we're talking about just the bulbs that come with the Montana. We have several additional 110v lamps but for this purpose let's not include those.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 08:38 AM   #12
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle
So what does it cost, roughly, to change over every bulb in a Montana to LED, 12v and 110v?
I spent less than $200 to change each and every 12v bulb to LED's. Since 110v bulbs won't work on the battery system, I didn't change those.

I changed all interior bulbs, compartment bulbs, scare lights and porch lights.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #13
kampk
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #11126
We ordered 30 of the W18S and 10 of the BA15D24 from Michael. I still need a few more W18S for the bedroom closet and the basement. That will be my next order along with the single bayonets for the porch and scare lights. With the MOC discount, and shipping we felt like it was a good value and were glad to support an MOC family business!

I am guessing that each rig may have different fixtures, as all of our recliner and bedroom sconces needed the double tipped bayonets, instead of the wedges, so best check each different type of fixture to be sure which led you really need.
kampk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
To answer your question Steve about how much it would cost, I think, would depend on the age/size of your rig and how many bulbs you are changing over. I can tell you our cost because we changed EVERY bulb in our rig that could be changed using one of Michael & Kat's bulbs. We replaced 62 bulbs and bought a few extra just in case (we really like our rig well lit), and it cost $683 total. That seems like a lot but we are planning on doing some long boondocking and we are investing in a solar panel system with an inverter, and I didn't want to waste any of that energy, and I did NOT like the heat that the old style bulbs gave off. One night my husband left a light on in the basement and when we got up in the morning it had yellowed the plastic from the heat! That doesn't work when you camp in places that have 90+ degree temps!

Here is an example of how it made a difference. If we turned all 62 of the original bulbs on it would use 1235+ watts. If I turned on ALL of the LED bulbs it would use 212 watts!!!

If anyone is interested I have a spreadsheet with every bulb that our rig has, it's wattage, type, and what we replaced it with. I would be happy to share it with you. Some people might argue that it wasn't a real 'cost effective' modification. All I can say is I LOVE the new bulbs and I am a lot cooler and we hardly ever have to use the generator! That means a lot to me! Hope that helps!
Old 05-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #15
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
As for cost of the change over and whether it is economical, falls in the same catagory as to putting in a solar panel system. Things like these upgrades never actually provide a pay back over time but will provide more enhanced conditions such as the increased ability to boondock over longer periods, less battery consumption which will increase life of batteries, cooler temps overall which will help with A/C if you are using it, etc.
Now if you are more prone to boondock and this allows you to do more of it say in Quartzite, National Parks, State parks then your return on investment maybe increased but it is still a lifestyle change more so than anything else.

In some places where the electric is more expensive (.25 cents/KWH or more in the NE) the combination of the solar panels and LED lights will allow you to come of the grid to reduce consumption which will save some green backs.

Overall expect to spend between $400 to $600 on average to switch out all the bulbs for good quality LEDs.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:30 AM   #16
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Well said Bigboomer! I was trying to figure out how to word it that we were doing this as a lifestyle choice. We also have solar on our S&B home. Thanks!
Old 05-27-2013, 01:02 PM   #17
Rainer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13378
LED's are like indoor plumbing then...do you really need it? Heck for thousands of years, no one had it or used it. But it's the convenience of those things. When I'm off the grid, using my bulbs doesn't drain my batteries, plus the fact that my solar will easily recharge the voltage drainage to my four six-volt batteries I use from day to day, including watching hours of HD TV via the satellite.

A couple of my favorite camping spots are state beaches right on the ocean here in Southern California. They require all generators to be off between 8pm and 8am. Having LED lights is a no-brainer for these type of sites.

And for a couple of hundred dollars for my LED lights, I know I've prolonged the use of $400 worth of batteries. Yeah I know the solar system was much more than that, and the generator even more than that, too, but with my set-up I can comfortably camp anywhere I can fit my Monte. Being off the grid was my idea of perfection.

Of course, your mileage may vary.
Old 05-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #18
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
Another good point Rainer! We like off the grid type sites and we are just beginning to find some favorites. I used to live in Southern California so I would love to hear where you stay when you in that area. Not that we will be making a trip anytime soon from Montana but I like to keep my options open. Our inverter/solar system is going in this summer for those exact same reasons!!!
Old 05-28-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Carol,

I would like to see your spreadsheet. Our email is filamentfree@gmail.com

Thanks!
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #20
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

I know nothing about LED lighting.. So what does it cost, roughly, to change over every bulb in a Montana to LED, 12v and 110v?

I know there are all kinds of justifications, I've already read about that in this forum. What I haven't seen is what it would cost to change out all the bulbs. Let's say we're talking about just the bulbs that come with the Montana. We have several additional 110v lamps but for this purpose let's not include those.
I spent about $450.00 to replace every 12 volt bulb in my trailer except the storage compartment lights. That includes all the outside lights.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote