Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2013, 03:36 AM   #1
Hawkpat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11612
TPMS warning

Just got the camper out for first trip of season. The TST system began its warning sound, yet all four rv tires are within the low and high point pressure limits. Why would this happen?

The monitor displays around 80 psi for all four tires.

Could battery on sensors be bad? Manual says they last about 12 months (approximately amount of time I have had them). If that is the case why would they display pressures?

Hawkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:49 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Been there, done that, and I would almost guarantee that the sensor batteries need replaced. If you look on the monitor, there will be a flashing icon that tells you that the sensor batteries are low. I would tell you what it actually is but I forgot and don't have the manual handy. If they are the user replaceable batteries, they are CR1632 lithium batteries which are available at Radio Shack, Walmart, etc. Ours went low last year after substantially less than 1 year. Also, if you remove the sensors during non-use, it prevents the battery drain. As long as the sensor is on the valve stem even without using the monitor, it drains the batteries.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:10 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
X2, whatever brand you have, the sensors will send signals out on a regular basis whether the receiver is turned on or not.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Hawkpat
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11612
Thanks guys. It was the battery. After I could get to all the drawers and find the manual, I saw where the display monitor makes that perfectly clear. Whoops!
Hawkpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ya learn something new every day, no matter what the age. You might not like what you learn, but that's another story.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Wow, less than a year on sensor battery life? We have the Pressure Pro sensors/system, which we bought in 2009. Still on the same batteries in the sensors, still reading just fine. From what I'm told, the batteries should last at least 4 to 5 years, minimum. It could be worse though.....I checked on the sensors on our GMC truck, as being 5 years old now, was wondering if they should be changed. The service tech said don't bother until it quits. EACH one costs over $100 to replace!!!!!!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:26 AM   #7
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Takpak,
There are two options on the TST systems, user replaceable batteries which last 6 months to a year, and the manufacturer replaceable batteries which are supposed to last about five years. The disadvantage of the factory replaceable ones is you must send the sensor to them for battery replacement, which is fine if you are not using the rig, but I would guess that the batteries would die when they are in use and needed. I prefer having the sensors ready when I need them, hence the user replaceable batteries were our choice. Took about ten minutes to replace the batteries on the four rig sensors. I will most likely plan on doing this each Spring as part of getting the rig ready for the camping season.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #8
BrokenElbow
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6835
Just getting our Monty ready fro the season and I replaced all of my batteries today, 4 on the 5er and 4 on the truck. I had a low battery signal on 2 of the sensors (one on the truck and one on the Monty). Got the batteries on Amazon. Pretty easy to replace, just followed the instructions, but the rubber seals on all of the inside units crumbled when they were opened. (I have the outside theft cover on my units). The inside units closed tightly when reassembled so I'm not going to replace the seals, but I will call Monday to make sure the TST service folks agree with me. It's a great system.
BrokenElbow is offline   Reply With Quote