Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
Hitching difficulty solved

I have been having some diffuculty hitching up with the crew cab truck. With the longer length, I am not being able to raise myself high enough to see the hitch. This is even made worse by adding a roll up tonneau cover. I tried a piece of white tape centered on the under side of the tonneau, worked great to keep me centered side to side. I only needed to get in and out of the truck about 4 or 5 times to check front to back position and height.
There had to be an easier way, then it hit me. Why not try my little web cam? I slid the cams foot under the bow on the tonneau, plugged it into the laptop and WOW. I could see the entire truck bed, the hitch, and the pin box clearly. I tried positioning myself a number of times without any problems.
Just thought I'd pass this on, perhaps it could help someone.

PatnRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:36 AM   #2
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Now that is a cleaver idea. RVers are the most creative people and especially the MOC members. Others should benefit from this also.
Those cams are not all that expensive.
Joe
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:35 AM   #3
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
Ain't technology great . That is a very innovative idea.
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #4
ALAN
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4279
We have a crew cab truck as well and solved the problem by painting a wide white stripe on the hitch and pin. Using the rear view mirror inside the truck, I was able to hook up with ease. I also painted the jaws on the hitch so I could look in to ensure they were closed around the pin.

Alan
ALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Alwims
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10623
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by PatnRich

I have been having some diffuculty hitching up with the crew cab truck. With the longer length, I am not being able to raise myself high enough to see the hitch. This is even made worse by adding a roll up tonneau cover. I tried a piece of white tape centered on the under side of the tonneau, worked great to keep me centered side to side. I only needed to get in and out of the truck about 4 or 5 times to check front to back position and height.
There had to be an easier way, then it hit me. Why not try my little web cam? I slid the cams foot under the bow on the tonneau, plugged it into the laptop and WOW. I could see the entire truck bed, the hitch, and the pin box clearly. I tried positioning myself a number of times without any problems.
Just thought I'd pass this on, perhaps it could help someone.

Dangit, why couldn't you have posted this 3 days ago, before I ordered one of those cheap backup cameras? Granted, I did find one for $52 on amazon, but I've got 2 web cams setting around here doing nothing. I don't like you anymore. You 'are' on my list of people to watch though, cause that's a genius idea and I'm sure you'll come up with more.
Alwims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Same problem here with our Megacab. I took a tip from Steves and use a $5 (from an autoparts store or Harbor Freight) telescoping magnetic tool picker upper. I telescope the thing so I can see it from inside the cab and stick it to the front of the hitch, aligned with the center of where the pin goes. I have it tied with light rope to the base of the hitch. When I hitch up I can align that tool with the pin on the Montana when backing. When the pin is no longer visible I just align with the center of the pinbox. The pinbox usually pushes the tool off the hitch as it latches in place. I then reach over the bed and pull the rope until I can grab the tool. Then I just stick the tool's magnet to a place on the base of the hitch, ready for next use. Works really well.

Normally $2.99 at Harbor Freight. Now on sale for $1.89
http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-te...ool-38392.html

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I did the white paint trick and it works great.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
racquetballfreq
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10395
Send a message via AIM to racquetballfreq
Hey you married people out there, team up and let your husband/wife guide you back onto the hitch. My wife and I always do this and it works very smooth, also helps, (listen up men), with our communication skills!! Another positive point is that it's FREE!
racquetballfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ALAN

We have a crew cab truck as well and solved the problem by painting a wide white stripe on the hitch and pin. Using the rear view mirror inside the truck, I was able to hook up with ease. I also painted the jaws on the hitch so I could look in to ensure they were closed around the pin.

Alan
Me too
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My paint is yellow..follow the yellow brick road...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
I have a long-bed, quad-cab, with a roll up Truxedo tonneau cover, and I can see the hitch & pin very clearly in my rear view mirror.

Is it maybe different with a short bed truck?
KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 01:16 AM   #12
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
It's a short bed crew cab with a sun roof. They say the sun roof is thicker and therefore less head room, maybe keeping me lower in the seat.

My old truck, a '04 GMC extended cab, short bed with a tonneau, no problem. I was able turn around, rise up off the seat and see the hitch. The only time I would get out of the truck was if I needed to adjust the height of the pin box.

Do those of you that paint the line on the pin box also have a reference point on the rear window or the rear view mirror and align those points? If not, do you just "eyeball" the line for center?

Old 09-29-2010, 06:58 AM   #13
Joeagrant
Established Member

M.O.C. #9499
I painted a white line on the top front the pin box, and the front of the hitch plate. Works for me.
Joeagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:05 AM   #14
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by racquetballfreq

Hey you married people out there, team up and let your husband/wife guide you back onto the hitch. My wife and I always do this and it works very smooth, also helps, (listen up men), with our communication skills!! Another positive point is that it's FREE!
I hope no one's standing in between the back of the truck and trailer!
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #15
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Him don't know her very well, do him!!
Old 10-01-2010, 02:04 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Having Vicki out there to help me align the hitch and pin isn't really viable for us. She's finishing up inside while I'm hitching up outside. Plus, for her to see how well it's aligned would require she stand behind the tailgate. Not really a good idea while I'm backing into the hitch.

I cannot see the hitch at all in the bed of the truck, so paint just doesn't work for me.

Here's a few pictures of my "system."

Old 10-02-2010, 01:58 PM   #17
PatnRich
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1250
Great pics Steve, thanks for posting. When you see those pictures, you realize what a great idea it is.
Old 10-02-2010, 02:11 PM   #18
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
It is a great idea and I happen to have one of those magnetic thingies gathering loose screws in my tool box....
I also use one eye looking in the mirror. The mirror is critical. I've seen MOC members backing up by turning their heads ovwe their shoulders and missing more often than not. You can only see the line-up by looking straight down the line through the rear view mirror - paint, tape, magnetic thingies or anything else. A mark on the back window helps, too.
Any great ideas for getting the pin height every time?
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, I don't bother trying to get the mirror lined up perfectly. In fact, I leave the mirror in the driving position and just slightly move my head towards the center. I found the pin does not have to be exactly centered with the hitch. So long as it is close enough it will move things a little to make the connection. You don't want to be off much but I find no need to be exact. You can see in my pictures I was not quite perfectly centered and it still connected up just fine.

I might also note that my prior hitch did not have the metal shelf on which to mount the magnetic tool so I just put it on the hitch saddle. The pinbox just knocked it off the saddle during connection. Then I just pulled on the rope to pull the magnetic tool over to me so I could collapse it, same as I do now. Then I just stick the tool to the side of the hitch, ready for next use.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #20
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Steve, I like you idea of the magnetic retreival tool. I think I'll head for Harbor Freight tomarrow morning to pick on up!

Dave check out a hookup memory level, also another thread in this section on height for unhooking/hooking up! There are several- one that will fit on the side of the unit and has a movable marker to set where the degree bubble is when you go to unhook and then you level your unit to the level setup! Also Dave M (Exnavydiver) has a level inside by the retract/extend switch and it swings out and he sets it before leveling the unit and unhitching. Maybe Dave will come along and post a picture of his and where he got it! I'd like to get one like he has if I can find it!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote