Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2011, 04:44 PM   #1
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
Just lost Water Pump

We are still traveling and staying at the Terribles in Pahrump, NV. We went on a drive through Death Valley and went to Scotty's Castle. On the way back to Terribles we noticed the truck getting hot so we stopped at a gas station in Beatty, NV to see a lot of water. So called Good Sam only to find out that they would only tow us 50 miles before they would have to charge us. So I ended up calling AAA because we have 100 miles towing. I thought that Good Sam's towing was suppose to be good? Has anyone ever had that type of problem with Good Sam's? Now the wait is on to see how long the Dodge dealer in Pahrump will take to get the truck repaired. It is Saturday night and the dealer wont be openned until Monday so left the truck outside their gates along with another vehicle.

Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:07 PM   #2
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Is your truck a diesel or gas? Plan on about $800 if it's a diesel. I've gone through two so far and only have 108,000. Don't know about the towing as we have only used the ERS for a flat tire change and they treated us very well. I think there are different levels of service.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
As Dick and Louise indicated there may be different levels of service. I always thought that it was a limited mileage OR to the nearest place that could service the vehicle. Glad you had the AAA. Good luck.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:11 AM   #4
farmboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9087
Send a message via Yahoo to farmboy
I had a vehicle towed by ERS a few years back and payed an extra $100. to have it close to home and at a dealer I trusted to treat me right. I figured it was money well spent. My water pump cost me $600. at the dealer. I could have replaced it myself if things had been different at the time. Truck was 7years old and 108k.
farmboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:17 AM   #5
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Just checked their website and is says unlimited miles on towing. We have used them a few times with real good service. I would ask them about what the website states. That was for standard service.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:56 AM   #6
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
The truck is diesel and we have extended warranty, so hopefully it is covered. I would sure hate to have to put out that kind of money.
Old 02-13-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Congrats on the extended warranty. You probably have a deductible which will still be cheaper than what I paid. The first time was still under the engine warranty through Cummins but I still paid a deductible. Good luck. The dealer may also hit you with a coolant flush claiming that the existing is contaminated. Make sure your warranty covers the "add ons".
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:13 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I don't use GS anymore because of the towing policy. You will pay extra to tow the vehicle unless it goes to a GS service center of their choice. Heck the one they chose for me didn't even work on diesel engines. Luckily, the tow driver took it to the dealer for me, as it was only 1/4 mile farther.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #9
Larry
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8173
OP don't know why you got that response from their call center but here is the exact wording from their web site:

Unlimited Distance Towing to the Nearest Independent Professional Service CenterGood Sam ERS will pay 100% of your towing fees to the nearest independent professional service center, even for specialized RV towing, and even if the distance is HUNDREDS of miles!

Bottom line, read your policy, know your benefits, keep a copy in your unit; if needed, read it to the person in the call center.
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #10
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
I went into their website also and saw the same wording, we will be calling them on Monday and try to find out what the problem was. If we don't get a good answer we will be looking for another company.
Old 02-14-2011, 12:23 AM   #11
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
Please keep us informed.We have been a member over 10 years.We are thinking og going to Alaska again this year and want good coverage. Thanks
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #12
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
Just got our truck back and it was a water pump it was under extended warranty ended up costing $100.00. But they did find that our batteries were leaking acid, they were the original ones. We had them replaced and also had a oil change, we are so happy to have our truck back. Did find out what the problem was with Sams towing they will tow you unlimited miles but if they find a repair shop closer then were you want to go then you will have to pay the difference.