Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-05-2006, 12:24 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
I Can't Believe I am Asking This??

When you are setting up at the Monty, do you set the rear stabilizer jacks first before you extend the slides? What do you folks do?

Thanks

RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
I set the rear stabs while the slides are still in, double check to be sure I have the unit as level as I want it (I'm not very fussy), then snug the stabs a bit more before I extend the slides. If we are going to be at a site a while, I snug up the stabilizers from time to time. As lazy as I am, I use a rechargeable drill/driver to deploy the stabilizers.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Well I do. Seems like a smart thing to have the rig level and stable prior to opening the slides. I will confess though, when on the road, if we pull in to a campground for a 1 night stay, I just leave the Monty hooked up to the truck, make sure it is fairly level and open the slides for the night. Next morning, pull them in and off we go. Tim
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:57 PM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
That doesn't make a huge differance, but always unhook and level before you do the rear stabilizers, so you don't bend them.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:01 PM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I level mine with the slides in, set it so the slide side ( both slides are on the same side on mine ) bubble is riding just a tad high. Set the landing gear down, un-hook, level fore and aft, set the stabilizer jacks, then open the slides. The weight of the slides counters the little extra height on that side. I'm probably being a little picky, but that's just me.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I try to set the jacks then open the slides, but it never works out that way. Sometimes I run out the slides before I even unhook to check for clearance, and a lot of times I'm running the slides out while hooked up with no jacks either to load, unload, or a roadside lunch.

It would seem the jack would be easier to set with the slide in, but maybe not. Ah it doesn't matter, my frames all flexed out anyway
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
LOL, good one Brad. It probably doesn't matter on any of them, as long as your not driving around the block with the slides out. I have moved mine 40 or 50 feet to get closer to the house with them open, but then later thought about it and wondered if maybe I shouldn't have done that. It doesn't seem to have hurt anything, the slides still work smoothly, and are not out of whack, but I probably wouldn't do it again, my pasture is a little rough.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Hahaha, Brad...thats good. I did pick up on trick from my Trailer life mag way-back-when, I put a wrap of electical tape on my awning pull stick that is the width of my big slide when extended. I use this to do spot checks when parking rig to know I'm gonna be ok to set camp. It was really handy when my son and I were setting up at Pocono Raceway where you get a chalked rectangle to park in and the ol' Monty's slides go out but the awning can't be fully deployed! The steps to doing it once;
1) Park rig making sure your level left to right...(I let the slide tilt me a tad to drain side).
2) Use power jacks to get truck unhitched, and level front to rear.
3) Set stablizers, tell Mrs (when camping) or Son (when Nascar'in) to run out slides and watch things as they go out.
Take numerous breaks during this....cause we're on vacation!
Chuck
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #9
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Have always done the stablizers last, don't want to put an bind on the S/Os going out. Have had minor shifts when putting the S/Os out. Conversly, take the stablizers up before putting the S/Os in. Don't use S/O supports for the same reason.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 06:37 PM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I get the coach leveled, wheels blocked, all jacks down, and all hook ups hooked up before I open the slides. I found it easier to work around down there with everything closed. (dont have to worry about hitting my head on the slides).
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 02:53 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Don't really think it matters one way or the other. The rear stabilizers are the last thing I do when setting up and the first thing when breaking camp. To this date I have not had a problem with this method.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:04 AM   #12
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Have to agree with Glenn, don't think it makes a difference as long as you are level. My better half always puts the slides in and out while I'm tending to the outside setup or teardown. Remember to crack open the door a little when opening/closing slides to allow the air to escape. When the door is closed this could allow the slide rubbers to not turn the direction of travel of the slide. Does this make sense? Sometimes the techincal jargon kind of slides away from my mouth! Anyway, what was the topic again.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2006, 11:24 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I don't think it's critical to have the rear stabilizers down before extending the slides.

The rear stabilizers (OEM) are not built to use for leveling the rig. I only snug them plus 1/2 turn. I normally do this before extending slides but not always. Sometimes when we're overnighting without unhitching we don't use the rear stabilizers at all. Usually, though, in that circumstance we drop landing gear and rear stabilizers just to keep the rig a bit more stable.

Interesting thought on opening the door, Emmel. I noticed we have one seal curled under. Tomorrow when we move the rig I'll try the door trick. Thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote