Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2013, 05:35 AM   #1
gmwright

M.O.C. #13245
Lippert 6 point level jacks

My 2012 Montana 3150 came with an Automatic Hydraulic 6-point leveling system. I have tried it a couple of times and each time the wheels of the coach come completely off of the ground. Is this normal, should we be concerned?

gmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
maximo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11371
The wheels on my Big Sky with the 6 point Lippert system are as a rule always on the ground because the sites were near level. Several time the sites were not so level and one side or the other would be off the ground.

Frank
maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Are you on a fairly level surface to begin with or are you on an incline?

On ours, sometimes the wheels on one side will come off the ground, sometimes both sides if we are in an incline front to back, but most of the time ours stay on the ground, both sides.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
On the spot we've spent the winter on our door side the tires are several inches off the ground. Been that way since November and will stay that way till the end of April. It's just the way the lot slopes. We have had times when the other side was off the ground. On the lot at our home base it's perfectly level and all four tires touch the ground.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DQDick

On the spot we've spent the winter on our door side the tires are several inches off the ground. Been that way since November and will stay that way till the end of April. It's just the way the lot slopes. We have had times when the other side was off the ground. On the lot at our home base it's perfectly level and all four tires touch the ground.
Dick,

You really should run them in and out once in while. The Owner manual for Montana says to run slides in and out once a week to keeps seals from drying out, I would expect same can be said for Leveling Jacks.

I go over to storage at least one a month, and run the jacks up and down, spin the tires around to new location while they are off the ground, etc. I also run slides in and out too.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
It's all good, mine does it all the time depends on the campground sometimes all 4 wheels stay planted sometimes the site is so uneven both wheels come off the ground a good 6 in
Old 03-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #7
kab449
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11842
If your on fairly level ground and you hit the auto level and the wheels come off the ground, you have a problem that should be looked at.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #8
BusyCarol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12641
We had that happen at one location when it was really dark and we couldn't see how level the ground was. The rig rocked a lot so when we got up the next morning we lifted the rig up, using the level system, put lynx levelers under the one set of tires (the low side) and then re-ran the auto-level and the coach adjusted correctly. It could also be that your zero-point set is wrong. Does it tell you negative numbers like -1 degree or anything like that when it is going through the process? Ours did that and it was because when they set the zeropoint at the factory it was on uneven ground and they did not verify the coach was level before they set the systems default. So we went somewhere to level ground and reset it ourselves.

Hope that helps!
BusyCarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #9
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
It happened to us too and it was concerning. That said having the tires off the ground does not appear to be an issue. But this occurred at a site where we regularly setup and with our SOB with the Bigfoot system the tires stayed on the ground? Hmmm. When a site looks level enough I thought there might be something else going on. What I've started doing is once parked and unhitched and before auto level I measure the distance on the 4 jacks to the ground and almost always there are different distances. I put a rubber mat, 3/4 inch house barn mat cut into 1 foot squares, under the jack(s) so they all are within an inch of the same travel distance. Today we have 2 under the jack by the door, 1 under the back door side jack and no issues. The site is level but the is just enough drop on one or two and I think the system adjusts to the longest extended jack. Any way it has done the trick for us. I carry 5 squares and a couple strips about 4 ft long and 1 ft wide for under the wheels is one side is low. Carry them in the back of the truck. Got them 4ft X 6ft and used a Lino knife to cut.

Good luck
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #10
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
Like other have indicated one side is sometimes off, but usually not both. Yesterday I releveled the Monty to a new zero point as previous zero point was not exactly level. You can lift all 4 off the ground using the manual mode when adjusting the front to back and side to side, but if you are on a gentle slope or near level surface all 4 should be resting on the ground after you have done an Auto Level. I also have measured the distance of travel on the front hydralic rams. If you are on a level surface both front rams should be very near equal in length of extension. We also check the swing of the bathroom and bedroom doors to verify no travel after they have been moved. We have used a 2ft. level from our previous rig leveling on the floor near the entry, this will get you in the ballpark, but if you get a good quality 6ft. masonary level you may find the floor undulates slightly between the Ibeams. I recommend retracting the rears all the way up and then doing a new Auto Level and if necessay find a new zero point.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote