Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2007, 08:22 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Behind the Montana convenience panel MOD...

Found that the area enclosed behind the Convenience Panel to be a huge void with the exception of a bunch of waterlines. After seeing the BigSky had a water filter system I decided I could do the same.

First pic is before........

And after.....

No more messing with the filters at set up and breakdown.

Next step will be to add a door for access AND my door will be considerably bigger than the little door on the BigSky.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:33 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Excellent improvement, Glenn, and very convenient.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:35 AM   #3
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Wow Glenn, very impressive. I wish we had that system but we don't. You did a great job. Better watch out or others will be looking to hire you for a fix.

Thanks for sharing buddy,
Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:42 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Very nice mod, indeed. Worthy of a copycat move.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #5
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
you did a really nice job Glenn (or did Lorraine really the "brains" behind that!! hehe
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 09:59 AM   #6
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Great idea Glen, and nice install.

You should send Keystone a photo and suggestion that they include a filter system on the Montana's. We had a Wildcat tt that cost half as much as the Montana and it had a filter system as standard equipment.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Great job Glenn! Show us how you do the door when you get done.

I love picking out features I like from other models, even SOB, and incorporating them into mine. Pretty soon it will be darn near perfect!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:27 AM   #8
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Really nice up-grade Glenn.You mentioned you were going to do some stuff at your daughters place-and you kept true to your word.Nice job.

John
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by nailbender

Great idea Glen, and nice install.

You should send Keystone a photo and suggestion that they include a filter system on the Montana's. We had a Wildcat tt that cost half as much as the Montana and it had a filter system as standard equipment.
That may happen sooner than most of us think. They already have a single whole house filter in the same area in the Big Sky. This is where I came up with the idea. Only problem is the little access door which is the same door they use for the sewer hose or outside showers on the older models. Ever try to change one of them filters with one hand??
The access door I will be building will be large enough to get both arms inside and it will not be hinged but rather the entire door will come out.

Stay tuned for the pics of the access panel sometime this week.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:59 AM   #10
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
GLENN ----- I AM JUST PLAIN PROUD OF YOU..... These modifications and MORE will be available to ALL should they CHOOSE TO ATTEND THE BRANSON GET TOGEATHER MAY 2008. We will keep the light on for you...... safe travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:08 PM   #11
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
Very, very nice. You have inspired me for my next project. One question,why two filters?

Dee
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:27 PM   #12
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
Nice job Glen!! What a mess Keystone puts behind the covered spaces of these rigs. I straightened all my water lines and vent hoses out when I got back there, and was thinking of a filter also. Now that I see yours I am thinking I may just have to get that project done too. Thanks for the great pictures.

Karl
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
Its funny how great minds think alike. I saw the same thing in the Big Sky here at are dealer and decided to do that also. I didn't like having to deal with the filter outside during the winter months. I removed the plastic wall and used 3/8" plywood instead. I also squared my instead of the angle. Allows for better use of the storage space.

I like the idea of the 2 filters. May add one at a later date. Safe travels to all out there.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:11 AM   #14
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Redrover98

Very, very nice. You have inspired me for my next project. One question,why two filters?
Dee
The very first MOC fall rally was held at Pla-Mor RV Park near Goshen Indiana. At Pla-Mor the water color coming into the rigs was beige. This beige water even turned the Monty's clear water lines to beige. They even had a sign in the laundry mat warning not to wash whites.
After that rally I added the first filter. The following year we once again returned to Pla-Mor and I found the 1 filter still didn't do the job. Some time later I added the 2nd filter but we moved the rally to the Fairgrounds and I never returned to Pla-Mor to see if the 2 filters would work or not.
Ever since than I have been using both filters. The first element removes sediments like silt, rust and sand particles while the second is a carbon filter that removes contaminants and odors.
Do I need 2 filters? Why not? Although we do not drink the water we do bath with it, brush our teeth, even make coffee with it and so I ain't taken no chances.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:51 PM   #15
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Glenn,
If you make coffee with it I would think you do drink it! I may have missed a unique behavior at the rally if you do something else with the coffee.......and I was supposed to be capturing all of the fun on my camera
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 01:48 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, I'm interested in putting my water filters in that location, too. One thing I can't tell from your pictures is how did you support the water filters so they do not bounce up and down going down the road and thus break off the pipe? I'm sure you have them supported but I'm failing to see it in the pictures. I like your idea of putting the filters in there and am wondering if I could figure out how to mount my autoformer in that space also. Or maybe in the front area of that space, in the fresh air return under the stairs.

thanks.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 11:53 AM   #17
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Kidding aside, great job! Now maybe you can persuade Lorraine to make you some pie as a reward!
Lisa
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:50 PM   #18
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
When we went to the rally at Lake Siskiyou, I saw several Montana's with filter systems. My question is why? Do you find the water that bad a most sites?
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #19
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Capt Kidd

When we went to the rally at Lake Siskiyou, I saw several Montana's with filter systems. My question is why? Do you find the water that bad a most sites?
Not necessarily but you just never know especially in the older CGs. I'd much rather be safe than sick.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:24 PM   #20
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Glenn, I'm interested in putting my water filters in that location, too. One thing I can't tell from your pictures is how did you support the water filters so they do not bounce up and down going down the road and thus break off the pipe? I'm sure you have them supported but I'm failing to see it in the pictures. I like your idea of putting the filters in there and am wondering if I could figure out how to mount my auto former in that space also. Or maybe in the front area of that space, in the fresh air return under the stairs.

thanks.
My auto former is in at the fresh air return but that was done by my dealer without my knowledge. I was pleasantly surprised as I was going to have to hard wire it myself and find a place to put it.

If you take a closer look you will see where I mounted a piece on aluminum angle to the ceiling stud and "U" bolted the center nipple to the angle. As a after thought and not pictured, I also added 2 "L" brackets to the floor directly below each filter housing and used a couple hose clamps to encircle the filters and the "L" brackets. Those babies ain't goin no where.