Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2007, 07:45 AM   #1
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
5' 50 amp shore power cable

Where can I get a 5 foot 50 amp power cable? My idea is to plug a very short 50 amp power cable into the back of the Big Sky then into our surge protector and keep this all under the trailer so it can be hidden. Then I can run from the camp ground power box with either a 50 or 30 amp shore power cable to the other end of the surge protector. Maybe I could find a used cable and make one myself? Any thoughts on this idea would be greatly appreciated.
Happy camping..

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:38 AM   #2
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
I lock my surge guard to the power stalk with a chain, then cover the whole thing with one of those tire covers from CW that are designed to keep the sun off tires.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Cat320

I lock my surge guard to the power stalk with a chain, then cover the whole thing with one of those tire covers from CW that are designed to keep the sun off tires.
That would work but still would like to keep it under the RV. Took another look at the set up and realized that I would have to have one end of the 5' cable that will plug into the main power inlet on the back, not just an extension cord. Will keep looking. Thanks for the input.

Old 05-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by rldriver

Where can I get a 5 foot 50 amp power cable? My idea is to plug a very short 50 amp power cable into the back of the Big Sky then into our surge protector and keep this all under the trailer so it can be hidden. Then I can run from the camp ground power box with either a 50 or 30 amp shore power cable to the other end of the surge protector. Maybe I could find a used cable and make one myself? Any thoughts on this idea would be greatly appreciated.
Happy camping..
I opted to use a longer cable so the surge guard and/or autoformer (whichever I'm using or both) can be hidden behind the wheels under my living room slide. I lock it in place with one of the CW locks designed for the surge guard (or through the handle of the autoformer) and around the axle. A 5 ft cable wouldn't allow you to "hide" it.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:23 PM   #5
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Dick:

Don't know if anyone sells a 5' 50 amp cord. You could probably make one by buying (from Lowes or Home Depot) a 6' 50 amp cord for an electric range and then buy/install at the female end one of the marine-type twist-on female plug that will fit into the plug on the rig.
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:29 PM   #6
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

Dick:

Don't know if anyone sells a 5' 50 amp cord. You could probably make one by buying (from Lowes or Home Depot) a 6' 50 amp cord for an electric range and then buy/install at the female end one of the marine-type twist-on female plug that will fit into the plug on the rig.
Thanks David, good idea.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #7
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Have you considered using a hard wired surge guard. You could splice it into your existing electric cord or install it inside the RV before the electric panel.
Don
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 12:24 AM   #8
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
I would recommend the hard wired type as well. It isn't seen so it doesn't get ripped off, it isn't exposed to the rain and elements so it functions better, and you don't have multiple electrical connections in the rain as well. I am fixed on the rain because I just had my big 50Amp cord leak water into the male plug and caused my hardwired surge protector to show a cautionary alarm that the polarity was reversed or there was power on the ground. Sure enough after tracing it back we found the neck of where the wire enters the plug was loose and seeped water.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:09 AM   #9
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Thanks Don and John, a hard wired unit would be great except I have the in line one and need to use it.

Orv, good idea, I need to start looking at garage sales for a used 50 amp cable.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:24 PM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I also wanted a short 50amp extension and considered using a stove one, but if you look at the wire gauges, they are not the same. I am not sure if that is important, but it maybe something to find out about first. The RV cord has at least one wire that is heavier than the others, (I think it is the white wire, but check to be sure).
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote